September 2013 Weddings

Wedding Wednesday

TRADITION!

Are you having a traditional wedding? What elements about your wedding are the most traditional? The least? What traditions are a bit tired for your taste? Discuss!
 Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding Wednesday

• We are not having a mass it will just be the ceremony itself.  We are doing the bouquet and garter toss.  We might do this thing called the money dance where people pay to dance with the bride and groom.  It lasts only one song total and the MOH and BM collect money in a bag doesn't matter if it's 5 cents whatever they are willing to pay.  It would be a fun way to get people up and dancing!
  • Ours is pretty traditional!

3pm Catholic ceremony and an hour of cocktails and a 5 hour reception.  It isn't a banquet hall, it is a historic woman's club so that is a little different!

We aren't doing the garter/bouquet toss.  It just isn't for us...although if I did, I'd have quite the place to do it!  The balcony in our venue is amazing...I'd have to chuck it over all of the tables, but it could work! LOL!

***Sept 2013 Jan. Siggy Challange - Bouquet Inspiration!***
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're have a Catholic wedding (mass vs ceremony has yet to be decided) so that's traditional.  I'm wearing a traditional dress.  We're having our reception in the city which is pretty traditional, but it's on a yacht, which is not.  We're doing the first dance and parent dances, along with best man and maid of honor toasts.  We're doing the cake cutting.  We're not doing a bouquet or garter toss.

My FI wanted to be very traditional whereas I wanted to do some things a little different.  It's been interesting and it has re-enforced to me that he's the right guy to marry because we've worked together so well to come up with compromises that we're both happy with.  It's not my dream wedding and it's not his, but it's something that we're both happy with and we're planning together.

I'm having fun telling my grandmother about our less than traditional plans.  She's ammused that the bridesmaid dresses won't match and that I'm wearing blue shoes.  But she's in love with our non-floral centerpieces and thrilled about our venue.  It's cute.
  • My dad is walking me down the isle but I think that's the only traditional aspect of our wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • We will not be having a garter/bouquet toss.  We really don't have many single friends (none that would want to participate!).  Other than that our reception will be pretty traditional. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No garter toss and no bouquet toss - most of the women are married, the rest don't want to be lol.  We're doing a first look.  I'm getting married in flip flops, but I think everything else is fairly traditional.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
    *** September 2013 Signature Challenge: Hair Inspiration! ***
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Our wedding planning started out pretty traditional- Catholic Mass Ceremony with Formal Reception to follow. I have since changed that to a non-Catholic Ceremony at our reception venue, a Golf Resort about an hour from where we live. We will not be doing a garter toss or bouquet toss (our friends are all married and the few single ones dont want to get up and do this). We are not even having a real cake, but a fake one. No guest book or wishing tree- we are doing a calendar where everyone will sign on their bdays.

I think the only traditional aspects will be that we wont see eachother the night before ( excpet RD ) or morning of, my dad will walk me down the aisle, although not in a church, and we will have a father- daughter, mother-son dance. We are also doing the traditional "Pittsburgh cookie table"

Looks like im 50/50 ... little bits of tradition with a modern twist!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    September 2013 Siggy Challenge: Bouquet Inspiration
  • We will be having a church wedding , formal reception , my dad will walk me down the aisle , garter/bouquet toss , cake cutting , father/daughter mother/son dances , and won't see the dress until I walk down the aisle. We do live together but I hadn't really put any thought into not staying together the night before , I kinda like the idea but I don't think he would LOL.
    ~~Sept 2013 Brides - January Siggy - Floral Inspiration~~
    This is my inspiration
    The actual one I made
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Very traditional.  We're not planning on seeing each other the night before until I'm walking down the aisle in my traditional dress at our church.  The reception is at a recently renovated 1920s hotel.  We are having cupcakes rather than a big classic cake though because we like cupcakes.
  • WOW!  We haven't talked about most of these aspects yet, which makes me feel behind the ball.  Our ceremony will be non-traditional as we are getting married outside at a BnB and not in a church.  We haven't picked an officiant yet, but I imagine they will be spiritual but non-denominational.  FI wants to jump the broom and I'm good with that. No sand or candle ceremonies, but we will remember important family members who have passed on. 

And we'll be having a first look for sure after our photog sold FI on it at our first consultation Sealed

*** September 2013 Siggy Challenge: Hair Inspiration ***
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Non-traditional- no wedding mass or ceremony in a church.  We've opted to have the ceremony at the country club in the tent outside so nobody has to drive around town.  But, FI's grandma has convinced us to use her pastor to perform the ceremony, so that's pretty traditional. 

Otherwise the details are fairly traditional- we'll separate after the RD, dad will walk me down the aisle (and he will be a big mushball!) and I plan to do a bouquet toss.  Since we are now hunting down a DJ, more reception details and traditions will be hashed out soon :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The only traditions I can think of right now are my dad walkinibg me down the aisle and FI and I not seeing each other the day of. I am bucking tradition in so many ways. One of the ways is trying to not have flowers at all. I dislike flowers because of my allergies.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2013-weddings_wedding-wednesday-14?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:26a515ec-8009-4599-b81d-5edee3b3fb3cDiscussion:9c30652b-7a0d-4641-8a72-3dc94dabc60bPost:60e5bb57-2ee6-450f-bbd6-b70a6289daaa">Re: Wedding Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are also doing the traditional "Pittsburgh cookie table" Looks like im 50/50 ... little bits of tradition with a modern twist!
    Posted by KSerafin17[/QUOTE]

<div>What's the Pittsburgh cookie table? LOL Sounds fun!</div>
    Daring to dream a bigger dream
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2013-weddings_wedding-wednesday-14?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:26a515ec-8009-4599-b81d-5edee3b3fb3cDiscussion:9c30652b-7a0d-4641-8a72-3dc94dabc60bPost:79e6afae-b0a9-419b-ad3b-1668a7186e72">Re: Wedding Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE] My FI wanted to be very traditional whereas I wanted to do some things a little different.  It's been interesting and it has re-enforced to me that he's the right guy to marry because we've worked together so well to come up with compromises that we're both happy with.  It's not my dream wedding and it's not his, but it's something that we're both happy with and we're planning together. 
    Posted by BostonGIrl4732[/QUOTE]

<div>This sounds like my fiance and me--he's more traditional, I want some things that are unique. We are getting married in a historic chapel and reception at a country club. The decor is vintage glam - lace, pearls, crystals, touch of feathers and very muted - ivory and white, but a touch of red - just very small - to tie into the red bridesmaid dresses. My dress is going to be like a vintage glam 40s style. The bridesmaids will be wearing apple red dresses, knee length in a style of their choosing, but then they'll have vintage pearls of different styles and short ivory lace gloves. I'm a swing dancer and so are a lot of my friends, so our music is a combo of sets of swing music and regular dance music - plus some Latin music thrown in, since he's Latino. He'd be happy with a limo, but I have my eye on a vintage Rolls Royce, which we'll probably go with.  Our vows will be pretty traditional, but I may throw in one or two non traditional things. I'm thinking about having a couple of drinks during cocktail hour that were popular in the 40s.  No garter toss/bouquet toss.  I'm not doing things super matchy matchy - I have a bunch of different lace table cloths/runners that are ivory and white. The crystal candleholders are all vintage and don't match. </div><div>
    </div><div>He doesn't really have any sort of nods to his heritage, but I am having a Slovenian band during dinner, some Slovenian potica on the dessert table and one red carnation in each centerpiece (the Slovenian national flower). I also may do the Polish hand-tying ceremony.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm doing a dance with my mom, since my dad probably won't make it to the wedding due to health issues and living out of state.</div><div>
    </div><div>So yes, definitely a combo of traditional and nontraditional.</div>
    Daring to dream a bigger dream
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards