Wedding Party

Where are the sleeves???

Wedding dresses, bridesmaid dresses, flower girl dresses.  They're beautiful, and it's thrilling to try them on.  But they're all a monotonous in one certain way...There are no sleeves!!!!  What's a bride and her attendants to do for a January wedding?  I made arrangements for my wedding gown to be altered - the ridiculously long cathedral train is being trimmed and the off-the-shoulder cap sleeves are being lengthened with the fabric (I mean, to have all that beautiful fabric serving no purpose other than to drag all over the floor - it's sinfully wasteful and quite stupid, actually).  I can probably make a nice little drawstring purse from some of the fabric as well.I have a feeling that these dresses are made without sleeves because sleeves/shoulders are difficult to fit - and designers are just taking the easiest way out by keeping them off to begin with.  But to be faced with nothing but sleeveless/strapless options is stressful for the January bride...or the bride who is less than confident about her upper arms...My MOH has a beautiful dress she will be getting a jacket for, but I'm at a loss for options for my flower girl and her older sister.  I'm not interested in them having sleeveless dresses they need jackets or capes or sweaters for, I just want a dress with sleeves.  If my sewing skills went beyond the ability of hemming, I wouldn't have this problem...Anyone have any advice or sites that have flower girl/Jr. bridesmaid dresses with sleeves???  What would be ideal would be something I can buy off-the-rack and doesn't need any fittings or alterations...don't want to put my two active nieces through the hassle of that.Thanks!

Re: Where are the sleeves???

• I have a mormon friend who couldn't find a wedding dress with sleeves (required for their temples) and she just had a seamstress add them to her dress. She said it was very cheap to do so. Maybe that's an idea? With climate control I would imagine that the temperature wouldn't be much of an issue, but I don't know since I had a summer wedding.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • I haven't seen any dresses with sleeves...Maybe have them get (or you could pick out) a cardigan to go with the dress.  Then they wouldn't be freezing and they can take it off when they are hot from dancing.
  • Just out of curiosity, is the request for sleeves because of a religious requirement or just because of the time of year?If you're having a January wedding in the DC area, you'll want to make sure your arms are covered for trips to and from the car, however PPs are right.  Once you're in a temperature controlled room, you'll want the sleeves off.  DH and I went to a wedding that was Thanksgiving weekend and while I wore a long coat in and out of the church and reception, I only wore a shawl for a short time during the reception and then I was H-O-T HOT!  As PPs said, you can definitely find a great seamstress to sew sleeves on (and you may be able to buy a bolt of fabric from the designer) however unless the sleeves are required due to personal desire, I'd opt for some kind of covering that can be removed instead.
  • I would order extra fabric from the company and have a seamstress make sleeves.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • If you google modest wedding gowns, you'll find a lot of websites with dresses that have sleeves (usually short sleeves) and slightly higher necklines.  Several of the sites also have BM dresses and some even have fg dresses.But what I'd recommend for your fg,  since your wedding is in Jan.  is to wait until the little girl's Christmas dresses come out, and then you can find an adorable "party" dress for far less than you'll pay in a bridal store.  Look in department stores, at Target, Macy's, etc.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I am getting married in January and I understand your frustration. Here is a link for flower girl dresses with sleeves and cover up mini jackets ----> http://www.flowergirldressforless.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Flower-Girl&Category_Code=105There are alot of easy ways to create boleros and the cropped jackets that cover the shoulders but not the whole dress, some even have long sleeves. If you have someone who can sew in your family they aren't too much trouble to make. My mom and I even thinking about making capes or capelets for them to wear outside. Once we are inside the heat will keep us all warm!Don't give up though, there are options with sleeves, you just have to hunt!
  • I also feel your pain.  I was also looking for a wedding dress with sleeves- nothing long but a short sleeve that would cover some of my upper arm which I hate.  The one dress I found that had sleeves that I could actually try on made me feel more like my grandmother than a twenty-something about to be married.  I ended up settling for a dress with cap sleeves.  Still not sleeves, but they are pretty and it makes the dress look different from the thousands of strapless dresses.  I loved the rest of the dress, so I went for it.  I could've added sleeves I guess, but I've come to terms with my less-than-perfect arms.  :) 
  • for little girls, it's not that difficult to find dresses with sleeves, i just wouldn't go to a bridal store and get them a "flower girl" dress.  when i was 8 and a flower girl in my aunt and uncle's wedding, my mom got my dress from Saks.  you would have an easier time getting the matching dresses from saks/bloomies/nordstroms, etc.  meanwhile, i saw an amazing l/s wedding gown that i loved, it was by le spose di gio, an italian based line.  http://www.le-spose-di-gio.it/
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Thanksgiving tickersphoto 307df189-2dc4-4bea-9b76-9ac6ceda8155_zps59ea37ee.jpgphoto c779d75a-0807-4fcc-b206-432ab43bdb6d_zpsf12ebd56.jpg
  • The shop we got the BM dresses at carries a line called "Eternity" that has modesty gowns - they a ton of beautiful gowns that all have sleeves.www.eternitygowns.com
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards