Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Unity Candle

My fiance and I have been talking about lighting a unity candle at our traditional Catholic ceremony in October...until it dawned on me that the mothers of the bride and groom light this candle. (I dont know what I was thinking before). My mother and I have basically not had a relationship after my parents divorced about ten years ago. My fiance is close with his mom, and I know it would be special for both of them if there was a unity candle. Is it okay to not have it be both mothers light the candle? Other suggestions? Thank you!

Re: Unity Candle

• Options
    We've asked our matron of honor and best man to light the unity candle in place of our mothers.
  • Options
    You can also have someone from the church light the tapers before the ceremony begins-perhaps an altar server could do this?Or if you have someone else special to you that you'd like to include in your service:  an aunt, a cousin, grandparents?
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    1. Ask the church if they will let you do this before planning as it is not Catholic tradition and they might ban unity candles2. Maybe skip due to family relationships maybe just suck it up and have mom or other family memeber light it
  • Options
    My DH was an usher in his cousin's wedding. The ushers lit the candelabras and then the side candles of the unity candle. We did sand so it was just sitting up front.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards