Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Alternative First Dance Songs

I'm sure this has been asked before on this board, but I'm looking for alternative first dance songs.  I want FI and I to stay true to our style, but I want the older guests to "get it" too.  My favorite right now is Death Cab for Cutie I will follow you into the dark.  Ideas?

Re: Alternative First Dance Songs

• rguidreyrguidrey member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You are the best thing by Ray Lamontagne
  • edited December 2011
    We had the same issue. We love anything death cab & are playing them at the wedding but we got the same reaction to I will follow you. Here are some from our playlist. Iron and Wine- Flightless Bird, American Mouth311- Love SongNew Found Glory- The Story So Far (Acoustic)Blink 182- I Miss YouAlso check out Switchfoot. They have a lot of great ones. I am walking down the aisle to "Only Hope" by them. Ive got a ton more if I can be of any help! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Halo- The Cure We love this song and since it's one of our favorite groups it works perfectly!
  • SweetReina23SweetReina23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "Home" by The Cure is a very beautiful song. I think that might go over well with the older guests and still be very meaningful and touching to the younger guests as well.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using "Hard to Concentrate" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers at some point :) absolutely love it. THey actually wrote it for one of the band members to propose. I'd love to do it walking down the aisle.
  • edited December 2011
    By alternative, do you mean the type of music that you'd find in the Alternative section at Sam Goody, or do you mean not your typical first dance song ("At Last", "Everything I Do", "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing")? I like "You Alone" by Dawn Landes. It's a little on the slow side, but the lyrics are beautiful, and it's just her & a guitar, so it's sounds really honest and melodic.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • edited December 2011
    that chili peppers song rocks, I just downloaded it.  Thanks! 
  • edited December 2011
    You have some great ideas here..... These are the ones we are choosing/using Come Home - OneRepublic You Are the Best Thing - Ray Lamontagne The guy that Says Goodbye to you - Griffin House Me and You - Barry Louis Polisar All I want is You - Barry Louis Polisar I wanna grow old with you - Adam Sandler style Sea of Love - Cat Power Goodbye Sadness - Astrud Gilberto * Love that song Are you Gonna Be My Girl - Jet Words Cannot Describe - Mirah Forever - Ben Harper I Believe in a thing called love - The Darkness These are some good ones to give you a different bunch to try! Lots of luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards