Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Brothers give me away?

Okay, feelings between my dad and I are not the greatest.  Due to some family problems, I prefer that he not walk me down the isle.  He's not paying for the wedding so I don't really feel obligated to it.  I was wondering what anyone thought about if I had one of my brothers (or both) walk me down the isle instead.  Then when the officiant asks "who gives this bride away," mom and dad would stand and say "we do" or the whole family of four says "we do."any thoughts?  there's just a lot of hard feelings between me and my dad, and i don't see it getting better before the wedding, or anytime in the near future. 

Re: Brothers give me away?

• Options
    cinn, my dad is not even invited to the wedding..and my brother is giving me away..we're not doing the who gives this bride away stuff either..my  brother i'm sure is to have me laughing so i wont be as stressed so i'm guessing thats a good thing? good luck to you!
  • Options
    Do what you will be comfortable with. If you're closer to your brothers than your dad then I think it's more appropriate for them to represent your family by giving you away. You could also have your mom give you away if you're close with her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You can have your brothers walk you down the aisle (not isle).  And FWIW:  you can skip the whole "who gives this bride away" thing.  It won't even be missed.Just have your brothers walk you down, give you kiss, and then you and FI get on with the rest of the ceremony.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    My dad isnt in my life.. My twin bro is walking me.  and probably giving me away, either that or he and my mom together will give me away.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the advice!  That makes me feel a lot less guilty since my dad will just sit in the audience then.  Thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards