Chit Chat

Ex Smokers

I've been smoking for five years, and I really want to quit. I've tried the Nicorette gum, (it messed up my gums really bad so I had to stop it.) and cold turkey. Neither worked. Any of you ex smokers have any tips?
TIA!

Oh, I don't know if you guys do intro's on this board or not, I usually lurk on etiquette and I know they don't. So if you want to know anything just ask! Laughing Thanks again ladies!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Ex Smokers

• xoxobxoxob member
    First Comment
    I just quit, but I have been known to bum a cigarette after a drink or two....
  • A friend of mine is using the patch and it's really working for him. He was a pack a day smoker. When I quit a year and a half ago I had just bought a car and vowed never to smoke in it. Since I did most of my smoking in the car that really helped. I also told my smoker friends that I quit, so they wouldn't bum me any when I was drinking. I have smoked a total of 3 times since I quit:) 
    GL!
  • Yeah, I can imagine I might bum some while drinking.. I think I'm going to try the patch and see if it works for me.

xoxob, I don't mean this at all to be creepy but, I think you're so pretty!

• Chantix gave my FI night TERRORS.  Something fierce.  We decided he needed to quit quitting due to cost of Chantix and side effects :(
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." "Who doesn't LOVE candy?" Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I quit cold turkey.  I had in the past tried the patch, but I have such sensitive skin that I couldn't tolerate it.  I felt like it was burning a hole in my arm and then when I took it off I had a red circle for about two weeks!  I also tried Chantix, but had terrible side effects.  So, cold turkey, and while it sucked, it's working. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ex-smokers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:36a943ef-3ff2-4107-a754-f97217b1f5dcPost:2950a1f9-34a1-431a-8875-789b4285705a">Re: Ex Smokers</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ex Smokers : ironic part is most insurance companies won't pay for it anyway. i quit about two months ago. i just stopped, cold turkey. worst part for me was that i quit not because i really wanted to (i kinda did, but didn't at the same time) but<strong> i quit to save money</strong>. so it was hard for me to keep motivated to continue to not smoke. i really just ate a lot of fruit and hit the gym a lot. going to the range and shooting things helped get the frustration out too lol.
    Posted by psichick[/QUOTE]
    This is actually one big reason why I'm trying to find a good way to quit. I tried the gum but it made me nauseous. I've thought about the patch but I'm worried about getting a rash or something... I've been thinking about Chantix. 
    Bio!
    Blog
    my to-read shelf:
    Audrey's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ex-smokers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:36a943ef-3ff2-4107-a754-f97217b1f5dcPost:212c09e3-2285-4185-965a-092e97833704">Re: Ex Smokers</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ex Smokers : This is actually one big reason why I'm trying to find a good way to quit. I tried the gum but it made me nauseous. I've thought about the patch but I'm worried about getting a rash or something... I've been thinking about Chantix. 
    Posted by Audrey&Austin[/QUOTE]
    My best guy friend was really addicted and he used chantix and really liked it.  I wish they had it when I quit - I would have tried it. 

A word re: smoking while drinking:  I found it was really hard to actually quit when I did this.  I would start drinking just to have a cigarette - and then just started smoking in general.  My advice would be to quit and then take yourself out of the bars for a bit.  I had to .  I allow myself about 1 cigarette a year now.  Its such a guilty indulgence.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ex-smokers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:36a943ef-3ff2-4107-a754-f97217b1f5dcPost:26331f24-6307-4fd4-b527-50f75170a088">Re: Ex Smokers</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ex Smokers : My best guy friend was really addicted and he used chantix and really liked it.  I wish they had it when I quit - I would have tried it.  A word re: smoking while drinking:  I found it was really hard to actually quit when I did this.  I would start drinking just to have a cigarette - and then just started smoking in general.  My advice would be to quit and then take yourself out of the bars for a bit.  I had to .  I allow myself about 1 cigarette a year now.  Its such a guilty indulgence.
    Posted by andy71781[/QUOTE]
    I think that's great advice! Any idea how expensive Chantix is? I've heard that it really works, but that is is pretty pricey. I know I don't want to be smoking while in my wedding gown, so I've decided to quit starting May 1st so I wont be tempted when the wedding rolls around May  of next year. 
    Bio!
    Blog
    my to-read shelf:
    Audrey's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • I think being held accountable is good as well. I don't mean tell everyone and their mother you are quitting but someone that will be supportive yet tough on you. I could never quit with my old group of friends because they would always give in when you would ask for a cigarette. When I quit I told my parents, they were understanding when I would bitch out for no reason.

• Cold Turkey, will power, and candy canes!!!!

Quiting smoking is a very personal choice, you have to choose to do it for and no one else can make it happen. I chose to never buy them again, then to never bum them. When I first quit, I would not stop at a gas station that didn't have pay at the pump. I refused to go into a convenience store for about 3 months. It sucked, but I have been smoke free for over 4 years. I smoked nearly 2 packs a day for 12 years. Check out the smoking cessation page on about.com if you need more info on quitting. It is soooo worth it!!!
  • Thanks ladies! All of your stories are very helpful! My FI and my mother know I'm going to quit.
  • Two women where I work just quit in about two months by using the electronic cigarette - gives the real sensation and produces water vapor "smoke" etc.  Each of these women is about 55 and had smoked for 35 years.
  • cold turkey, lollipops and tootsie rolls

Nothing has helped the nicotine cravings. But I take it one day at a time. It's been a year and so far, so good. I have only had 5 cigarettes since then, but I know if I have another one... even ONE, I'll fall right off that bandwagon. I wish you luck!
  • I am a faliure at quitting...but i have tried EVERYTHING...

Chantix, made me paranoid and depressed and i had to go off of it, but it did help before i lost my mind!

Hypnosis: This was GREAT, however I was not really ready to quit when i did it, so it didn't work for me, but i did cut down a lot, and I felt it would have worked if i was really ready.

Electric Cigarettes: Not as close to a real cigarette to work for me...you really had to suck suck suck on it to get anything, and it was more work that worth.  Plus studies are coming out saying these are unhealthy too.

Patch: HUGE help if you can find a way to deal with the emotional and physical connection. 

The next time I am ready to quit (hopefully soon) I am going to listen to the CD the Hypnotist made for me and use the patch.

Good Luck!!
    imageimageVacation Till our honeymoon!!!
  • CantiaCantia member
    First Comment
    I quit cold turkey. I noticed that I smoked more when I was bored or looking for something to do, so I kept myself busy reading and playing video games. I have never tried patches, quit smoking books or gum, so no experience there. But I can tell you, there is no motivation like money! Put the money that you would have spend on cigarettes in a jar and watch it multiply. Good luck.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic International Nesties Signature Challenge - Place I would most like to visit
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards