Wedding Etiquette Forum

Already Married? Photo Sharing Card Question

If you are already married and you used the photo sharing card (for your guests to upload their photos onto Flickr, Snapfish, etc.), was it worth it?  I'm just wondering if I should spend the time to set something up.  It's a much better idea than cameras on each table, but I wonder if you felt that you got some good pictures from it.  TIA!

Re: Already Married? Photo Sharing Card Question

• Only about 13 of my guests have uploaded so far, but I think it's worth it!I received pictures that the photographers missed.
  • Not married yet, but...Cameras on the table cost money. Most people have digital cameras and either won't use them, or won't take good pictures on them. You might get a few fun pictures, but chances are, it won't be worth the cost of the camera.I used a free photosharing site (shutterfly) and set up photo sharing cards. I used the free business cards on vistaprint, so even if no one uploads even 1 picture, it hasn't cost me a thing.I like that much more. And in my circle, everyone shares their pictures somehow (whether on a photo sharing site or facebook or just through email) so I'm planning upload whatever I get to shutterfly and eventually sending out the link so others can see them.
  • We didn't use the cards.  Our friends and family sent us their pictures pretty much right away.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honestly I have seen photo share cards 2 times and each time it prevented me from sending my digital pictures to the couple due to being services i do not use typically in both cases I know others with digital cameras who did not send the links they normally woudl since not the service that teh couple basically said that they needed to send them and never getting around to messing with the different photo service. I typically if have digital camera send teh couple a link to my photos. Without photo shre cards we got over 8K wedding weekend pictures. People will send you the links ect even without photo share cards. But photo share cards tell them that they have to use your favorite service or not send them at all. People will mean to transfer then to your service as well and never get around to it.
  • I should clarify that I'm not considering cameras on the tables.  It is either the photo share card or nothing.  Thanks for the responses so far!
  • ffmaid - at the bottom of our card, I put "or upload your pictures to your favorite photosharing site and send us a link" and then listed our email addresses. Would that have made you feel more comfortable? I wanted to do something because a lot of our family would take great pics but might not have our address.
  • OP - sorry, I misread that camera table thing. I think people are going to take pictures, regardless! The other thing I've seen done is the b&g sent an email out the Sunday after the wedding thanking everyone for bringing their cameras and asking them to email their pics or upload them while they were on the honeymoon so they could see them when they got back.They had thousands of pictures uploaded in those 10 days.
  • We did a photosharing card and created a general username & password for people to use if they did not want to sign up for an account. Same with our wedding website. We provided all info on the card for our guests to use if they wish.
  • PIB of our photoshare card. It's working great already... people have uploaded pics from our shower and bp.
  • scoetto (I'm sure I spelled that wrong...) - that's what we did too. Put the login and password on the card so they could all upload if they used a different site normally or whatever. Basically tried to make it as user friendly as possible.
  • at the bottom of our card, I put "or upload your pictures to your favorite photosharing site and send us a link" and then listed our email addresses.That's the best wording I've seen!  I really like that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You spelled it right Vogt! :)
  • Vogt- You have folks invited to your wedding that are family and friends that do not already have your email address? We had everyones and they had ours.  Honestly I think that my 97 ( or is she 98) great aunt is the only person on the guest list who is not constantly on email. Yes the or any other site would have made me less likely to skip it enetirely but I stiill woudl have meant to change to their site and probably forgotten about it.  I really view these as self defeating in my circle at least.  
  • I'm going to do this when the time rolls around. It's a great idea, because not only does it mean that you have access to your guests' pictures, but also that everyone can share pictures with everyone else in the same place. I sure do love the Internets.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Thanks Dani. Yay for me, Scoetto - months of trying and I finally get it right! ffmaid - yeah, out of the 500 people we invited, they don't all have our email address. It's not a small wedding (obviously) and most of those people, I'd imagine, will have cameras (I always take mine with me to events). Of course our close family and friends will have it, but not everyone who is invited.
  • Vogt- Ok that makes sense in your case I forgot you were having a huge 500 person wedding. We had 173 and I would expect your closest 173 people have youe email but maybe not person #496
  • not only does it mean that you have access to your guests' pictures, but also that everyone can share pictures with everyone else in the same place. I sure do love the Internets.Yes, I love this too. The people who do like to take a lot of pictures have commented that it was nicer than trying to save pictures they wanted from facebook. They saved high resolution photos from the share site that they could print in good quality if they so desired.
  • I don't have 80% of my relative's email addresses.  I call my relatives when I want to talk to them so I don't think it's that bizzare to not have their email address. I like the card that lists the email address and tells them to send you a link.  Very user-friendly.
  • You know, I have a pretty small list, and I would say that most of the people on it do not have my or FI's email, at least not at this point. I don't think FI communicates directly with a lot of his aunts and uncles, and I don't with my uncles either.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Oh, absolutely - our family has our email as do our close friends. I'd say you're easily right that the 200 people on our absolute"must invite" list would either have our email or FB to get ahold of us. It's the extended family I'm thinking of, for the most part, or people who wouldn't even consider emailing pics (a lot of my aunts don't think of that as an option - they just print 200 photos and send them through the mail, no matter how crappy they are)
  • I think that I have about a quarter of our guest's email addresses...
  • Here is another question for anyone.  Like most photographers these days, my photographer will sign over copyright for the pictures that he takes so I can upload them to one of these sites and our guests can order from the pro pics if they'd like (I have family members who will want to take pics during the formals but I would rather have them enjoy the cocktail hour and give them the option to get pro pics instead.)I could pick a photo sharing site for them to share their pics with me AND for me to share our pro pics with them.  Any suggestions on how to word that?  If I did the cards through Vista Print, would I put them out at the reception?  Or would I put something on the back of our program so that they would know this before getting to the reception? 
  • You could word your card to say: "Did you bring your camera?" Then give instructions on how to upload. At the bottom, you can say - "Don't forget to check out all the pictures, including professional pictures from our photographer" and list the sharing site again. You could send out an email later reminding people, or put it in your thank you cards if you wanted (just about seeing the pro pics...please don't ask them to upload in your thank yous)
  • Oh, and I only ordered 250 cards (and will probably have at least 400 guests)...I plan to just put out stacks of them near the guest book and on the favor table. Maybe at the bar. If people want one, they'll take it. If they don't, I'm not out anything, really.
  • I put those little info cards in the thank yous to tell the guests they can view the uploaded professional pictures online.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards