New York-Upstate

Help! Still NO officiant...

Hi girls, so I had posted on here a few weeks ago about my officiant situation (see below for previous post) and a few of you suggested that Father Hasselbach is in fact the way to go, I contacted Rev. Engel at another suggestion and he can't travel to Hunter Mtn, unfortunately. I'm STILL looking for other suggestions other than the $600 cost for Hasselbach. He is the one most recommended by my venue...him and the town Judge. Have any of you heard of REVEREND PAUL MAYER? I'm considering contacting him.Ugh. I know this is one of the most important things, but it is my last thing to arrange and it is so stressful!! Previous Post:~~~~So, I know its getting late, and I should have started my freaking out over this sooner...BUT. we are getting married on October 4th this year at Hunter mountain, and we still have no officiant.Main reason why is that I've been looking for someone who can do a more religious type ceremony than a typical JOP would (we are both raised Roman Catholic, but aren't really very religious at this point) but RC priests WON'T marry outside a church. We did come across Rev. Hasselbach who would be great, except he charges $600. Which just seems like alot for a 30min ceremony that we already have to pay to rent chairs etc to have.~~~~~Any suggestions or ideas??? Thanks again girls.

Re: Help! Still NO officiant...

• edited December 2011
    Honestly, if it were me, at this point I would book him and be done. Yes, it's $600 but knowing you have someone you are happy with is worth it when you're so close to your wedding day. Wouldn't it be terrible if he booked between now and then and you had no one? To me, it's worth the $600, which I don't find that high anyway since he is travelling, etc.
  • WNYfanWNYfan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This probably isn't very helpful, but I know Lutheran pastors are pretty flexible.  Check out the area Lutheran Churches.
  • edited December 2011
    i would recommend Rev. Jack Porcello. He does non- denominational ceremonies but I know he can do full catholic ceremonies as well. http://www.ourfellowship.org/joyful.htmltry him. it's $300 ish so it's a savings.HTH
    Baby, you've got the sort of eyes that tell me tales...
    :Blog:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Does it have to be a pastor? We got a JOP for 100 bucks!
  • teddib20teddib20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    this may sound tacky, but think about it. we were going to do this and still may (we have time to figure it out since we're getting married NEXT october...) do you have anyone in your family that you are close to that is not currently IN the wedding, that is religious?  because it does not take long for one to become an ordained minister... there are just papers to fill out online actually...if you have someone in your church you are close to, or if you have an uncle or someone that you would want to perform the wedding, it's always a nice cost saving option. plus i'm sure whoever you ask would feel honored. just a suggestion. hth!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    New York state and internet ordained ministers don't always get a long. Meaning, some of these kind of weddings haven't been recognized in NY.
  • teddib20teddib20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ew. Well that's no good! Nevermind then! :) Lol, thanks for letting me know, I was considering myself.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Not a problem :) It was a hot topic here when I was getting married because a few court cases a couple of years ago didn't recognize marriages done by friends/family who were ordained online and I'd hate for that to happen to someone. :)
  • edited December 2011
    We used Robyn Posson, she does any kind of ceremony you like really and she was only $400. Although that was in March when we got married not sure if her price changes for the "wedding season". I would check her out she did a really great job for us! http://trinitycottage.com/home.html
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My Husbands father got ordained on the internet and married us and we had no problems we just got our certificate in the mail the other day....so it may still be an option...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards