Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

refridgerators

So... my fridge broke. The home warranty is buying us a new one- BUT if we pay the difference we can pick out our own fridge. So basically we can get a brand new fridge for like $200! (or a brand new, not as cool one for free). So- any thoughts on french door fridges? I've never had one... What about drawer freezer ones? Does anyone actually use water dispensing doors? Oh- and how bout the ones with the normal freezer, only its on the bottom?Any input at all would be so helpful!

Re: refridgerators

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I personally like the freezer on the bottom (ours is a top one that came with the house and didn't have the good sense to break under warranty ;-)) I just think you get a lot more freezer space and more importantly the stuff you use most (fridge stuff) is at eye level.I'm not a fan of the french door side by side ones b/c you can't get anything wide into them, like a big sheet cake.  But whatever the ones with the french doors opening onto the fridge alone and then a bottom freezer look awesome.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm personally not a huge fan of french doors fridge/freezer, because I feel like there is a lot less fridge space in those.I really like, and have heard good things about, the bottom drawer freezer.  And I'd love to have the ice/water spout on our fridge.The one we have now is ancient.  When we move (whenever that may be), we'll be getting a new one for sure.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've always had a side by side fridge (which i'm guessing is a french door fridge?).  I personally hate fridges with the freezer on the top.  It sucks for organizing IMO. I like having multiple shelves up and down so you can organize and see everything better (in the freezer that is).  I'm also a huge fan of water dispensing doors. They typically dispense filtered water now, which I like because we were able to get rid of our Britta water jug.I also like the fridges with the slide out freezer on the bottom. It provides a lot of storage, but you can see everything really well, unlike the fridges with the freezer on top.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My favorite are the refrigerators with the bottom freezer drawer and the double doors for the fridge. Nice big space for the freezer. The water/ice spout is very useful!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would also like to add that top freezers suck b/c stuff is able to pick up alot more momentum falling from 5' than it would from 2' and said stuff is rock solid because it's frozen. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would also like to add that top freezers suck b/c stuff is able to pick up alot more momentum falling from 5' than it would from 2' and said stuff is rock solid because it's frozen.lol, Jamie - very true statement.  I can't even say how many times I've had something fall and almost hit or hit my feet.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm def leaning towards a bottom freezer. My grammie has a bottom drawer freezer, and I feel like you can't get as much stuff in it... although when its on the bottom, it may be easier to see if its a drawer... I'll have to drag FI to sears to have a look. I agree about no room with a french fridge, but I wonder if its any different if its a french fridge with freezer bottom drawer thing... I'm excited about getting a new fridge! thanks ladies!
  • Options
    d78d78
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto N on the double-door fridge on top with freezer drawer on bottom and water/ice dispenser. Next time we buy a fridge, that's what we're getting.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    themissizzthemissizz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm generally not a fan of the freezer on the bottom fridges.  My mom has one and I feel like you really have to dig to find stuff.  Hers is a few years old though and I think they've solved that issue in newer models with more pull-out drawers and racks and stuff.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think there's usually a separator on the french fridge w/ freezer on the bottom, so it should still give you room.Erica, that was speaking from experience too lol.  I don't want to tap dance, I just want the icecream that is all the way in the back behind poorly stacked items!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love the French doors, but only when it's fridge on top, freezer on bottom.  French doors on a side by side does not give you enough room for certain platters and dishes.  We have a standard freezer on bottom, and it's annoying to bend over to see the bottom of it.  I do like the freezers on the bottom, but I definitely prefer the pullout freezers.  Have fun shopping.  Go try some out at the stores and see what you think.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I found on online that I loved. botton drawer freezer and french door fridge on top. I called the warranty and it will cost me $1,566 to upgrade to this fridge.  ugh. looks like I might be getting a crappy small normal fridge. boo
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Can you try a scratch and dent place (I think there's a Sears one close to town) or if you're willing to go to the South Hills, there's Daniel's (they have a showroom and a scratch and dent store).  We got our Freezer from Daniel's showroom for hundreds less than similar ones, not sure how much cheaper their S&D place is. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I asked about that and they said theres no way to process one through the scratch and dent stores- even tho Sears owns them.  thanks tho- I think those places are great- sometimes you can hardly even tell theres a problem. wow- I just now read the title of my post and realized how ridiculous my spelling is.  sorry about that.  "refrigerator"
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That stinks :-(  Their showroom items don't have anything wrong with them that's why I was shocked at the price we got on our freezer, but I understand with it being a small store it might be hard to turn it in for reimbursment.  I hope you're still able to get some kind of an upgrade without paying a lot!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04665232000P?vName=Appliances&cName=Refrigerators&sName=View+All FI found this one. We'd only have to pay $191 plus tax.  What do you think?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That looks nice and spacious, the drawers in the freezer look handy too.  Can you use gift cards to buy it or is the HW Company not letting you do that either?  GE has double fuel perks right now.
  • Options
    McBridetobeMcBridetobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like that one!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh- i never thought of double fuel perks.  I'm not sure if we can do that or not.  I'm guessing no- snce they've been pretty strict as far as how things go.  But I'll def ask.  Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like that one!
  • Options
    hey_its_jennhey_its_jenn member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like it alot, Sara.  I like the layout and the size and everything.  The only thing I would be worried about is that the temperature is controlled electronically.  I would just worry about how much like that is going to cost, if you need it to be fixed, you know what I mean?Our original stove was all electronic and the electronic board went out and it was just as expensive to replace that than to buy a new stove (around $400 or so).  Just something to think about.

Married 9/19/09
    Me: 27 // DH: 31
    TTC # 1 Since October 2010 (Not preventing since 2009)

October 2012: DH Dx: Testicular Cancer -- Left Orchiectomy
    December 2012: F/U CT Scan -- All clean!
    January 2013: Starting the adoption process!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    oh.. I never even thought of that.  We're going to go look at it tomorrow after our e-pics, so I'll ask the sale guy if that happens a good amount.Thanks ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards