Honeymoon Discussions

Non-traditional honeymoons

With so many people doing the Carribean or other warm places, I am wondering how many are doing a less traditional destination.  For example, we are doing an Alaskan cruise for our honeymoon.  Anyone else doing something similar?

Re: Non-traditional honeymoons

• We did Disney World for our HM.  It's not the traditional beach vacation, but we had tons of fun and we saw several other HMing couples while we were there.

And Alaskan cruise sounds awesome though, depending on what time of the year you go.  I think that's more of a summer than winter trip for obvious reasons.
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • We're going to Thailand, I'm not sure if that is untraditional or not.  I personally only know of 2 other American couples who have gone. I know several British couples.  
  • edited January 2010
    We went non-traditional and went to Disney. We are going back to Disney for our 1 year anniversary and then going on an Alaskan cruise for our 2 year anniversary. We don't do beaches or water.
    BFP #1 8.16.10 m/c at 5w BFP #2 10.21.10 m/c at 5w4d
    BFP #3 2.15.11 EDD 10.27.11. DD born 10.29.11
    Betas @9dpo = 23 Betas @12dpo= 128.5 Betas @17dpo= 1075 Betas @21dpo =5800s
    @6w hb 114 bpm! @8w4d hb 178 bpm! @12w hb 169 bpm! @18w hb 150 bpm!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Well I live in the Caribbean, so honeymooning here would be like staying home.   So we went to Amsterdam, safari in SA, Paris and New York.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • cruises are pretty common for HM-be it caribbean, mediterranean, alaskan. do what you want to do for your HM and have a great time :)

• we honeymooned in Telluride, CO
    no identifiable siggy pictures anymore, thanks a lot stupid nest!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_non-traditional-honeymoons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:4e3dad9b-06b8-45f3-b256-7dff0e16a9bbPost:9706f4a8-feeb-44b4-8c57-341ab65fdf1b">Re: Non-traditional honeymoons</a>:
    [QUOTE]We did Disney World for our HM.  It's not the traditional beach vacation, but we had tons of fun and we saw several other HMing couples while we were there. And Alaskan cruise sounds awesome though, depending on what time of the year you go.  I think that's more of a summer than winter trip for obvious reasons.
    Posted by pandasquishy[/QUOTE]

We're definitely going in summer! August, to be exact...temps. are supposed to be in 60s or 70s in Alaska then, so much better than the sweltering temps. in DE in August!
  • <font color="#999999">In</font> Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_non-traditional-honeymoons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:4e3dad9b-06b8-45f3-b256-7dff0e16a9bbPost:f23a4f9f-4602-4ad8-9f05-9510937cd069">Re: Non-traditional honeymoons</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't really call ours "non-traditional" but we won't be going anywhere beachy.  We're going to Iceland, Amsterdam, Italy and Ireland. Where are you cruising to in AK?  We just spent 3 weeks up there this past September and loved it.  It's going to be difficult for another trip to top that one for sure.  If you haven't already booked, I would HIGHLY recommend cruising to Seward and Homer instead of Juneau and the SE areas.
    Posted by sunshine_day_dreams[/QUOTE]

We haven't booked yet, but I think Seward may be one of the ports we are looking into visiting.  I am super jealous of your honeymoon.  We were going to go to Ireland for our honeymoon like you, but decided we'd rather be pampered on a cruise and save Ireland for another year or two since that would most likely be a much more active trip for us.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_non-traditional-honeymoons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:4e3dad9b-06b8-45f3-b256-7dff0e16a9bbPost:673a1e38-b13a-4de0-887d-00da3bc0640a">Re: Non-traditional honeymoons</a>:
    [QUOTE]We skied for a few days and then cruised off the coasts China, South Korea, Japan.  And stayed a couple of extra days in Beijing and Hong Kong.  It was in February, so it was definitely not beachy ;)
    Posted by ExpatPumpkin[/QUOTE]

Wow, I'm jealous! I have always wanted to visit Asia but so far have only made it to Europe...and my fiance has never been to Europe, so I am pretty sure we'll be going there before I get to see Japan or China.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_non-traditional-honeymoons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:4e3dad9b-06b8-45f3-b256-7dff0e16a9bbPost:53efc60a-9635-458f-a4b0-19c79033ff9c">Re: Non-traditional honeymoons</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well I live in the Caribbean, so honeymooning here would be like staying home.   So we went to Amsterdam, safari in SA, Paris and New York.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

The safari sounds awesome!!! Always wanted to do that...one day!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_non-traditional-honeymoons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:4e3dad9b-06b8-45f3-b256-7dff0e16a9bbPost:4d3c9266-55cc-4a31-b8f0-6cb02a43e389">Re: Non-traditional honeymoons</a>:
    [QUOTE]cruises are pretty common for HM-be it caribbean, mediterranean, alaskan. do what you want to do for your HM and have a great time :)
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]

I agree that cruises themselves are pretty common for honeymoons, but feel that far more people take them in the Carribean or somewhere warmer than Alaska.  Out of all the people I know personally who have married recently, they have all gone to Mexico, the Carribean, or Florida.  Thus, I feel our honeymoon is a little less traditional and was wondering how many others were doing something like us.  And while no one else has mentioned Alaska yet, I am seriously jealous of some of the European, Asian, and African destinations that have been mentioned and feel that they are less common as well.  I hope everyone has a fabulous time!
  • Mine sounds boring next to all yours but I have never went to PA so we are taking a road trip up to PA I have booked a night in a hounted B&B and that is our only plans other then that we will take it and see where we end up at the end of everyday.
  • We are going to Hershey PA, and then Lake George NY where my fiancee grew up.
  • we are planning on going to Whister, BC, my favorite place in the whole world :) im not the tropical beachy type either. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are doing a volunteer honeymoon. We are currently looking into Haiti, Africa and Habitat for Humanity. We live on the beach so we thought it would be neat to do something that we would feel good about for years to come. Not only will we get to travel to a neat location but we get to learn so much about each other and ourselves. 

LOVE the back packing in Europe though!! And Disney is ALWAYS a winner!!
    ?The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.?
  • We will be on a boat, but not a cruise ship -- a canoe.  We're going canoe camping, which we've talked about wanting to do for ages but never got around to planning.

We are taking a few days at the end to lounge around in a nice hotel and eat swank food afterwards, though. 

breezyblueyez -- any recommendations for Vancouver-area must-sees?
  • We live in Austin, and our wedding is in Coeur d'lene, Idaho. I have to save all my PTO for the wedding week, so we aren't doing a traditional honeymoon. When we get back, we are going to take a weekend and do tons of fun stuff in the area that we haven't done yet like go jet skiiing on Lake Travis, go horseback riding, go to the firing range, see some historic spots hear by, that sort of thing. We might take a big trip right before we are ready to have children though...
  • I wanted to do a trip to Europe as I nor FI have never been there, alas our budget will not allow us to have such a trip. We are looking at Hawaii, but i refuse to stay in a huge hotel like sandals, i know It's all inclusive and what not but been there done that when I was in jamaica, too many people. I want our honeymoon to be just us and no one interupting us. There are some of the those places that are all inclusive too! I know it is really "traditional" but it's what we can afford and I think just being together  and spending time with one another is the most important of all.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_non-traditional-honeymoons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:4e3dad9b-06b8-45f3-b256-7dff0e16a9bbPost:bc3660b8-9db7-4404-9131-498ad5aa6b82">Re: Non-traditional honeymoons</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are going to <strong>Hershey PA</strong>, and then Lake George NY where my fiancee grew up.
    Posted by wld4ubabay[/QUOTE]

My hometown, yay!  :)  If you drive past the factory on a warm day, roll down your windows.  It will send you running for the closest place that sells chocolate, I promise. 

We're heading to Vail, CO.  We were originally thinking the Caribbean, but CO is so much more 'us'.  We love the outdoors, and there is so much to do there that it fit us perfectly, much more so than a beach.
  • I detest the beach.  FI enjoys it sometimes, but really, its less than a 15 minute drive away.  If he wants to go, he can...by himself.  :-p  There's a price to pay for marrying a girl who almost drowned once, I guess.

We're doing Las Vegas for a few nights right after the wedding, then Italy as a first anniversary trip.
  • We live in Florida and my fiance is not a huge fan of the beach, so all your traditional honeymoons didn't really appeal to us. We are going on an Alaskan Cruise and are VERY excited about it! I've never been to Seattle, WA either, so the whole experience sounds so amazing to me.

Honestly, the honeymoon is a time for the 2 of you. It doesn't matter where you go! Some people just take a road trip or stay in a hotel for a weekend if they can't afford to go somewhere crazy.
    Baby due March 2, 2012! BabyFruit Ticker
  • We're doing two weeks in Europe.  About half will be in touristy spots like Paris and Munich, and about half will be in random places important to FI from when he was stationed in Germany.  I would have loved to lounge on the beach, but that's not his thing.  Europe was my second choice, though.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards