Massachusetts-Boston

July Wedding Review

Hi girls,I didn't post much, but I always found these reviews fun to read and helpful during the planning process, I hope all of you will as well. I was married July 31 in downtown Boston. There were definitely a few stressful moments prior to the wedding—the makeup ran long, the florist was running late, and once we finally got everyone assembled in Post Office Square to take formal photos before the ceremony, the sky opened up and it started pouring on us. (It’s funny now, not so much then). However, once the wedding started everything ran smoothly and it all turned out beautifully. The weather even cleared up halfway through the ceremony so were able to do outdoor photos after all and our guests were able to enjoy the gorgeous city views.Venue: Downtown Harvard Club A+ From the first meeting through the reception, everyone we worked with at the DHC was outstanding--completely professional and responsive to all of our questions and concerns. The food was excellent, the club itself is gorgeous and the panoramic views from the top of One Federal Street are amazing. We also found them to be quite reasonably priced compared to other city venues we looked at. The only issue we had was that several guests who parked in the One Fed. Street garage were charged more than the price we had been quoted for an evening event. When we brought this to the Club’s attention they addressed it immediately and made sure we were reimbursed for the guests who were overcharged. We planned the wedding from out of state and it made the process much less stressful knowing the event was in such good hands. Photographer: Bharat Parmar A+ Bharat seems very popular on these boards and the praise is 100% deserved. He’s a total professional and also an extremely talented photographer. He and he had his assistant Jeff always managed to be in the right place at the right time while being totally unobtrusive. He documented the whole day really beautifully, and our photos were posted online within days. HIGHLY recommended.Officiant: Tom Welch A+Possibly my favorite vendor from the day. It’s hard to say anything about Tom that hasn’t already been said. He’s such a warm person and the ceremony was so lovely and personal. He completely won over both of our Catholic families who were skeptical about the no church thing. (My husband’s grandmother even called him “Father” after the ceremony and thankfully no one corrected her). Couldn’t recommend him more highly.Florist: Lyndsey Loring B+Due to weather and traffic Lyndsey was a little late delivering the bouquets, which caused a bit of extra stress and resulted in the formal photos being delayed even further. However, I have to say that she was the only florist of all the ones we had contacted who was able to give us exactly what we wanted with our rather limited budget, and we were very happy with the final product. She was pleasant to work with during the planning and came up with great suggestions for simple, lovely arrangements that I think looked more expensive than they actually were. Overall I would still recommend her, but she is based in New Hampshire, which is something to consider if you’re planning a wedding in Boston. D.J.: Brian Delac from Murray Hill Talent A-Brian delivered the most important elements of what we were looking for in a D.J., which was to be low-key and non-cheesy and to keep people dancing. I have to drop him a few points because he mangled a couple of the names during the wedding party announcements. Overall though, he did a good job of reading the group and playing a range of music that appealed to the older and younger crowds. I also really appreciated that he arrived more than hour early to make sure everything was set up and ready to go. Both he and Murray Hill were very professional and accommodating. Videographer: Dave Schmitz, WAVES AHiring a videographer was kind of a last minute decision and we definitely didn’t feel the need for an expensive, edited video full of slow motion music montages. We hired Dave to shoot raw footage and he was great—very professional and unobtrusive and we had our DVD within days. I know he does offer edited video packages, but for us the raw footage was an excellent, affordable alternative. For a few hundred dollars we have all the moments we’d really want to remember—the ceremony, toasts, first dance—preserved. Honestly, I’m so glad we decided to do it. Cake: Konditor Meister A+They were part of our package with the Harvard Club. I’ve read complaints in the past of their customer service, but we didn’t run into any problems at all. We did our tasting back in December when we were in town and hammered out the details of how we wanted the cake to look. On the day of the wedding, it showed up on time looking gorgeous and tasting delicious. Can’t ask for more than that. Hair: Marc Harris Salon, Financial District A+The whole bridal party had our hair done here, and they were awesome! We were in and out on time and all the girls looked fantastic. Everyone in the salon was incredibly nice and attentive to us--one the stylists ran to Panera to get my friend a bagel and they scrounged around making sure we all had umbrellas when we were leaving. Jenna was my stylist and she did an amazing job. My hair looked exactly how I wanted it to and continued to look great through rain, wind and hours of dancing. She’s also super nice, if I lived in Boston she would definitely be my regular stylist. Wedding Party Attire: Alfred Angelo/Men’s Wearhouse A The dresses and tuxes looked great, were priced well and the ordering process went very smoothly. Both vendors are good options if you have a wedding party that is scattered around the country. Hotel Room Block: Hilton Financial District A/ Club Quarters B-The Hilton gave us a huge room for the girls to get ready in, and my husband and I had a large suite on the 15th floor with gorgeous views for the wedding night. As for the Club Quarters, they caused us some stress during the planning. Whenever we dealt with them they seemed very disorganized and up until two days before the wedding they didn’t have several people on the room block list who we knew for a fact had booked rooms. They also didn’t give out all the gift bags we had left for our OOT guests. That being said, their rates are unbeatable for Boston and the location right across from the venue was ideal. Morning After Brunch: Elephant & Castle Pub A+They’re located on the ground floor of the Club Quarters. They have a regular weekend brunch buffet there so we just paid the usual per person price (plus gratuity) for our guests and they gave us a semi-private space in the restaurant for no extra charge. Very reasonable and accommodating. ETSY Sellers: A+Etsy was a life saver. I used TrueViolot for our STDs, Karin Allie for the bridesmaid gifts, luxedeluxe for my earrings and necklace, and GEDesigns for the table numbers and menus. All highly recommended. Wow, I think that’s it. If you made it all the way through and have any questions about the vendors let me know!

Re: July Wedding Review

• edited December 2011
    Gem - do you know what the price per person was at Elephant and Castle?  And did you have to give them an exact number of guests?  I have been looking for a brunch place.  Your reviews are great!
  • hapark11hapark11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for posting this!  PS Jenna is my regular stylist :)
  • edited December 2011
    /cs/ks/user/default.aspx?UserName=mrsandmrsbins','_blank','toolbar=0,location=0,directories=0,status=0,menubar=0,copyhistory=0,width=990,height=700,scrollbars=1,resizable=1' )">mrsandmrsbins--I think the total price for brunch was about $20 per person and that included tax, gratuity and unlimited juice. We did give them an estimated number beforehand, but they kept track of the actual number who came and went. I didn't count every person myself, but the number seemed accurate. ETA: That price included a full buffet with an omelette station. We priced it out against the hotel where we had our other room block and we got a lot more food for a lot less money.hapark--I took a peek at your bio and the and photo you have of Michelle Williams is the same one that I brought with me to the salon for my hair. Jenna did an awesome version of it.
  • KristineLKristineL member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also used Bharat Parmar for my wedding 08/07/09 and just love him!! He does an amazing job!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards