Wedding Etiquette Forum

phrases gone wrong.

Re: phrases gone wrong.

• I have some medical ones that would mean nothing to most of you, but are annoying as h*ll to me. I also hate this one: LABtop instead of LAPtop.  It goes on your LAP people!
  • Or when people put a s on the end of Anyways...No. It's Anyway...
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • "Normalcy" used unironically bothers me. One should only refer to "normalcy" if one is specifically trying to evoke Warren G. Harding.Also, "literally" when the person means "figuratively." My adviser at school is a very smart woman, one of the top in our field, but she does this all the time. She once began a class by saying that we were "going to literally rip some paintings apart." This did not happen during the class.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • After I corrected her on what continent that was, she never spoke to me again. lol.
  • Salt..ya it's mind bottling... ya know.. like when all your thoughts get trapped in a bottle.Does he mean it or does he do it to quote the movie.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When people say "all the sudden" instead of "all of A sudden".   Makes me want to punch people.Only thing worse is hearing intelligent people say "conversate".  It's like nails on a chalkboard.  I understand it's (sadly) become an accepted slang word, but come on! 
  • My niece still has trouble with her Ls and Rs.  But it's not annoying, because nothing is more f*cking adorable than when she tells me she's going to get a book from the "ribwawy".

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Well, anywayS, fishy. One time my coworker said "well, that throws a monkey into the wrench."  Not kidding. 
  • Another person I worked with once said the pursued of happiness.  he never realized it wasnt right until we pointed it out.
  • There was a girl who kept using "pleterbed" in her posts. Finally figured out she was trying to say "determined"... how she got from point A to point B on that one, I'll never know. I also used to see "candle opera" in the chatroom here and on the boards *all the time*.... almost as often as isle and vail. The best story I have: I was in the car with my oldest (I think she was 12 or 13 at the time) and "Rock the Casbah" came on the radio. So we're dancing and singing and the chorus comes on.... She sings "lock the cashbox, lock the cashbox" AND does a little "locking the cashbox" motion/dance move with it. So through my giggles, I explain to her that those aren't the words and to listen closely. She hears it, realizes she's been doing it wrong and then gets this horrified look on her face. "I taught that dance to the other kids at school! They thought the words were something about a catbox and thought I was a genius for figuring out the right words AND knowing the right dance!" D'oh!
    ========= Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Fishy, I was thinking about something and forgot, but anyways...
  • Oh and also? It bugs me when people say, I feel bad. No, you feel badLY.  

The Margarita Evolution
  • I hate when people say "suposubly" I have a co worker that says "Valentime's Day" UGH!  hate it.  i also love/hate when my H calls the tupperware "tubberware"  it makes me laugh but drives me crazy all at once.
  • I hate it when people pronounce the 't' in often - contrary to popular belief it's actually silent.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • FI will say "ideal" for "idea."  As in, "That's a great ideal!"  No, no it's not.  He claims he does it to annoy me.  He's right it does... and I'm not really convinced that he knows the difference because he says it way too often.  
  • My pastor says irregardless.  Can I correct a man of the cloth? All the facebook picture captions are starting to get me.  "Sara and I at the Grand Canyon."  Nope.     
  • Audrey, don't feel bad.  I often get song lyrics wrong.  Singing "Secret Asian Man" along with the loudspeakers in a store and having people give you the stink eye is no fun. 

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Tobi - I think he's being serious, but now when I get home I want to ask him. My coworker says "anyhoos". It makes me want to smack her.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • When people mispronounce:realAtor vs realtor - Cause that seems to be a word now. I hear it ALL the time, even realtors say it! JewelERy vs jewelry - Really? Just how does this happen?And my other huge pet peeve is 'anyways'.  There is no 's' in anyway.
  • FI made me read those stupid Twilight books, and at one point Edward and Bella are talking about giving Alice "free reign" over their wedding.Get an editor, Stephanie Meyer. It's free rein.Those books were full of these types of errors, and grammatical ones as well.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • sorry. already been talked about. Thats what I get for working and not Knotting. late to the convo.
  • I have a lady at work that has such a strange vocabulary of her own that we have a little notebook where we write down all of her "Eileen-isms". Here are my top three: 1. I am not counting my chickens til they're done.2. I can't come in to work today. I have the Nestle Crunches (she meant Hershey Squirts).3. Someone told her that a relative had two clots in their lungs. Her response = Oh, she has to have bi-pass surgery?
    photobucket-29369-1334754217385 2012-12-30_13-03-57_810_zps6f98a3be
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • [i]2. I can't come in to work today. I have the Nestle Crunches (she meant Hershey Squirts).[/i] That sounds HORRIBLY painful!!!!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • There are a sh*tload of people that I have noticed in S Indiana that that say "flustered"... as in "I was soooooo flustrated".  Seriously, people?
  • Sapphire - I think the pronunciation of often with or without the "t" sound may be regional.  In Webster's it's listed as being spoken either way.
  • My grandma (it always seems to start with "my grandma") was lecturing Noodle about something or another one day, and she ended her lecture with "don't count your chickens in one basket, and that's why you can't take it with you." WTF.

• Anyone remember the girl who posted on here that used the word seductive wrong?  she wanted here wedding to be seductive?  She didnt know the meaning at all.
  • Also, it bugs the hell out of me when people make a reference to a specific, singular time frame, but say "whenever" instead of "when". Instead of "When I was in first grade, my mother would bake us cookies" They say "Whenever I was in first grade, my mother would bake us cookies" Or better, "whenever I got married, we had a chocolate cake" Do you not know when that was? Does it happen that regularly?
    ========= Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Oh and also? It bugs me when people say, I feel badBut what if I just want to be spanked?

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • then you can say it to your hearts content, Moose.

The Margarita Evolution
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards