Illinois

nervous about dress shopping

Wedding is 7.23.11. Set the date, venue, and church.  Really nervous about shopping for a dress because of all the mixed reviews of the places that I'm considering (House of Brides, Eva's Bridal, etc)  Trying to educate myself as much as possible about wedding dress shopping and maybe I'm just being negative but it sounds like the wedding industry can be just ruthless and money hungry.  Makes me feel discouraged.  Would like to try those 2 shops but nervous.  Any other smaller dress shops out there you'd recommend in Chicago/Suburb area that aren't crazy expensive?  

Re: nervous about dress shopping

• edited December 2011
    I'm from southern illinois so I can't really help you with stored but I am a July 2011 bride too! You should come over the the July 2011 knottie board! Everyone is super nice and supportive over there, I think there may even be a couple girls from Chicagoland over there!

• edited December 2011
    I just went to David's Bridal and House of Brides (Both Naperville) this weekend, just to START looking.I personally did not like House of Brides, I felt they were some what rude, but LOVED David's Bridal! I know they are not a smaller dress shop, but they may be worth looking into.I actually ended up getting a dress too! And did not feel pressured at all! They were great! And they actually have a sale going on right now too :). Good luck shopping!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    ok so i need some advice as well. I am a united states marine, stationed in Japan. I just got engaged like a month ago and I am currently on a deployement. Well the thing is because of the fact that my fiance and I are both in the military (he is stationed in SC) we are getting married in December when we are home on leave for Christmas. The wedding is going to be in Illinois because i am from Geneseo, well out here I have no way to go wedding dress shopping. All I can do is look online, which is frustrating because I wont know what the dress will look like on me. Any suggestions on places I could go? When I get home I have about 6 days before the wedding.....HELP!!
  • edited December 2011
    i am getting married on july 1, 2011 and i am just starting my dress hopping this weekend too! i am terrified. i feel the same way about the wedding dress industry. i think when you put wedding in front of anything the price just goes up.  i also have heard some pretty bad thisngs about some dress shops too. i did go to house of brides with my bridesmaids because they have a really large selection and that place put a really bad taste in my mouth.  for my dress we are going to a few smaller shops (here comes the bride in addison, wedding belles in barrington and crystal bride in geneva). i hope that i have a better experience where there are less people and more one on one attention.
  • edited December 2011
    i just went to house of brides in aurora yesterday... i had tricia she amazing!!! there was no pressure, she was very patient with me and my crew (i shouldn't have brought 4 people but it was ok)

i was so nerves i too have heard some really frustrating things about shops in the burbs.  They are having a big sale today (Friday) and tricia was able to get me the sale price, with the sale promotion of free veil and shoes it was awesome!!!

it was a great experance!!!

A friend said that the maggie s. shop in orland was completly awful they had her try on her dress after it came in and left her alone in the fitting room for over an hour.
    August 2011 siggy challenge: Fur Baby! Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Here comes the bride in addison is amazing. My dress is $590 and I searched everywhere for it cheaper and here comes the bride had the best price and service!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards