Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

hkiesling-help!

I have looked at your planning bio and am trying to do an aisle runner. And I am totally stuck !! I can't get it to print like you said to in your bio. I have been unable to get the '&' in the middle of my 'M' and have been unable to get it to print my 'M' 3 ft x3 ft (is that how tall your 'Y' was?) on 9 pieces of paper. I truly hate computer stuff. Any help you (or anyone else who has done this) can give me would be such a HUGE help!
Thanks for your help ladies....... 
 Sincerely, stuck and frustrated!

Re: hkiesling-help!

• hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No problem!  This is actually fairly easy to do.  What program are you using?  I used Word 2007, but the instructions should be similiar for other Word versions.  First, go to the insert tab and select "text box."  In the text box, enter in your first letter/word.  In my case, the letter Y.  Highlight the letter and choose the color and size that you want.  Then highlight the text box and go to the format tab.  Select "Shape Fill."  The pull down menu gives you the choice for "No Fill."  Select that.  Do the same thing for "Shape Outline" and select "No Outline."  Repeat the process for all of your text.  In my case, it was "Y," "&," "Heather," "Justin," and "October 3, 2009."  Now you should be able to grab the text boxes and overlap them, placing them how you want. 

Next, I did "print screen" (a button on your keyboard that makes a screen shot of the page into a graphic).  Then I opened a new Word and copied and pasted the screen shot (just click Ctl v) into the new Word page.  Your screen shot will be appear as a graphic.  Highlight the graphic and go to the "format" tab.  Select the "crop" tool.  Adjest the the edges so that all that is in the border is the monogram.  Unselect the "crop" tool by clicking outside of the graphic area.  Reclick on the graphic and select copy.

Open Excel and paste the monogram graphic into Exel.  Change the page orientation to "horizontal" and select the zoom level to about 20%.  This should give you  a grid overview of 9 pages.  Drag the graphic to resize it to the size of all 9 pages.  The print.  You'll have to trim the edges of the paper to get everything line up right, due to printer margins.  Also, it will be pixelated because of how much it is enlarged.

I'm out of town for the holidays and won't be checking in regularly, but I'm happy to answer questions.  You can email me at hkiesling at yahoo.com, too.  Good luck with the project!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Did you ever get it figured out?
  • mknutson74mknutson74 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hope your Thanksgiving was good!!
    I did good until I got to the highlight graphic, click format etc... and then it all went down hill. I got graphic to highlight but I no longer had a 'format' option or crop tool. Maybe it's because I'm doing mine in Microsoft office word? Any suggestions now?

Thanks for all your help-Missy
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Microsoft Word 2007, but it might be under "borders and shading" tab in Word 2003. Which version are you using?

I don't recall offhand where it is in 2003, but there is a place where you can change the border and background fill of the text box.  Probably under the same tab where you can edit font and paragraph.

When you highlight the text box, you should be able to right click and choose edit toolbar or format toolbar or something like that to get the crop tool back.
  • mknutson74mknutson74 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to you!  But FINALLY I got it!! It just took a little more patience and a little trial and error.
    My last questions are this-how big did you make it? Does 3 X 3 mean just the monogram or from the top of your name to the bottom of the date? And totally unrelated to the aisle runner, were you ever nervous that the color of your crinoline would show through your dress causing it to appear 'dark' or not quite white?

Thanks a MILLION for all your help, I REALLY apprecaiet it!!!
    Happy Holidays-  Missy ( March 20, 2010)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No problem.  I made it three pages by three pages (nine total) and then just stretched the monogram to fit within that.  My aisle runner was three feet wide, so that fit about right. 

As for the crinoline, I was very worried, but took the plunge anyway (literally...there's no going back after that pristine white crinny hits the tub of dye!).  It didn't show through one bit, not even a little bit.  The white wasn't any darker either.  I had two layers of thicker white material (satin?) and one thin layer of organza.  I LOVED how it turned out.  It was one of my favorite projects.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards