Wedding Etiquette Forum

Elopement Party

So a good friend of ours eloped a few weeks ago, and is having a party to celebrate. They've stated that the party is to be really casual, no wedding-y stuff, because they are planning to have a reception a year from now (bride will have to go back to her home country and come back next year because of visa stuff). Do we take a gift? I can't imagine what we'd get them since they will be living separately for a year. Do we just wait until the reception?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Elopement Party

• This should be fun
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Wait, they eloped, and now they want to have TWO parties for people to bring them gifts? 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Wait until the reception IF they have one.
  • I would just bring champagne or wine.
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• I wouldn't even go. That's the stupidest thing I've heard all day.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Yep, I'd bring a congratulations on your marriage card and some wine or champagne to toast with.  If they have a reception, then I might bring a gift. 

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • I like the champagne suggestion. That way we don't show up empty handed and don't end up buying two gifts. I know it's kind of silly, but In think they eloped because her student visa was almost up, and they both still want to have a traditional celebration next year when she comes back (she's leaving soon and doesn't have time to plan). In the meantime, all of their friends/family are clamoring for a celebration. It is a whole lot of fuss, but I don't think they are materialistic or gift grabby people...so I don't really mind. Thanks for the advice!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'd definietly send a card and be done with it.  This is a hot mess.  Why bother eloping if you're just going to have 2 parties afterwads?
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Yes if you are ever going to get them a wedding gift now is the time as they just got married. Anniversary party or whatever next year is not the time to get them a wedding gift now is. Bring a gift if you would have gotten a gift for them had they had a big wedding. I would bring something you think that they would liek and can use. Something for when they move in together
  • They should have just waited, got married next year and then had the reception, etc.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • betrothed, i love the term "hot mess." you just made me laugh out loud!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • actually how about two sets of nice stationary with their monograms for their love letters back and forth  since long distance for 1st year of marrige
  • I'm glad I could bring joy to someone's day.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I would send a congratulations card and not attend this party.
  • Since they have stated "Casual, no wedding-y stuff" I would take this party similar to an engagement party. No gift, bottle of wine with card. My guess is the future reception will be the actual gift giving party. ESPECIALLY since you point out that they are living separate for a year.  You would be helping them start their lives together. I don't take this as them requesting more gifts....they are in a A-typical situation considering the VISA issue. If I were in their shoes, I would love to celebrate the actual wedding day with friends/family (low key), and then celebrate with the more flair a year later. For those that say don't go...I definitely disagree. If they are close friends, I can't see missing an opportunity to celebrate their new marriage together!  
  • They are just married now is the time to celabrate next years event is the silly event to skip in my opinion
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards