Nebraska-Omaha

Wedding Coordinator Question

Is it necessary to tip a wedding coordinator that is provided by your reception venue?  I am getting married at the magnolia hotel in Sept and was wondering if I need to tip the coordinator something extra.  There is a gratuity that is added on to the total cost of the reception.  Thanks! Amy

Re: Wedding Coordinator Question

• HuskerfanzHuskerfanz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could ask how the gratuity was split up to make sure your coordinator gets some but I'd say unless they do a really good job and you want to tip them extra, you don't need to add to the gratuity included.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
    TTC #1 since 08/11 IUI#2 = BFP!
  • edited December 2011
    I asked my friend who works as an assistant in sales and catering at an embassy suites about this. She said usually you do not tip. She said if somebody has gone above and beyond they will sometimes get a bottle of wine or gift basket of some sort, but thats about it. I am guessing that your coordinator gets paid a good salary for her job. I didn't tip.
  • tarmar81tarmar81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at the Magnolia in two weeks, but it's for a ceremony only, not the Reception.  The coordinators do orchestrate the whole thing for you, which is great, but I wasn't planning on tipping them either since I'm paying a hefty amount to simply rent the space.  I'm pretty sure that includes having it coordinated for you.  I was planning on sending a Thank You card though to show my appreciation though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I had my wedding and reception at the Magnolia in August. We tipped Ron the food & beverage manager but not the actual wedding coordinator. He was AMAZING! He was our go to guy and made everything perfect! If you need ANYTHING go to him! Things got messed up in our planning due to all the staff changes but Ron saved the day! I am going to post a review on her about them...stay posted!
  • cerissacerissa member
    edited December 2011
    It's not required, but always appreciated. The gratuity though is NOT part of her salary. The gratuity goes to the banquet staff and if it's a service charge, not a gratuity that they are adding on at 20%, that goes to the hotel and not the staff tho some places I know of do give a portion to the banquet staff.
  • cerissacerissa member
    edited December 2011
    oh and trust me, they do not get paid a good salary for the amount of hours that they put in. lol
  • edited December 2011
    I am a wedding coordinator and i will say typically coordinators dont get paid that much when you do consider how much time is put into weddings. Often times we work after hours making phone calls, planning everything and when you figure out the price plus the time put in its not that much. Most of us doi it because we love doing it..and its our passion...not because we are trying to be rich doing it as a job. In my wedding etiquette course they do say you should consider tipping...tipping anywhere is not really mandatory but its suggested. I say do what you feel comfortable doing and if you can not tip...a simple thank you card personalized to the person who planned it all would at least make her feel like she did a great job that was appreciated. We can also use these cards too in showing brides what we have done for others.
    =0)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards