Iowa-Des Moines

Officiants?

My family is Catholic and my fiance is atheist and we're having an outdoor reception.  Can anyone recommend an officiant?  I don't think my fiance would be interested in completing pre-marital counseling or having a lot of God talk, but I also want the ceremony to last longer than 10 minutes.  Has anyone worked with any Polk County judges?  Do you just call them and ask if they'll marry you?  Any other recommendations? Thanks!

Re: Officiants?

• edited December 2011
    Pastor Joseph Karge, he is the ultimate, my background is baptist and my new husband's background is catholic, and he performed a ceremony that blended both religions, just beatiful.  www.ourforeverpromise.com
  • edited December 2011
    OOPS he does require pre-marital counseling but we only had 2 appts, and he was super easy to work with.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks!  I always get worried about pastors not wanting to marry an atheist but I'll email him and see what he has to say.  Anyone else have opinions or worked with other people?
  • bethyann75bethyann75 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can help with judges.  There are four judges in Polk Co. that do most of the ceremonies and really enjoy doing it.  Their info: Judge Novak  286-3849 Judge Glenn Pille 286-3856 Judge Robert Hutchinson 286-3861 Judge Robert Blink 286-3852 Judge Novak is probably the most well known, just because he has been doing it for over 30 years.  They are all really good and organized.  We are having Judge Blink doing our ceremony, since Judge Novak was already booked.  He gave us this sheet with all the questions for the ceremony-religous aspects or not, unity candle or not, etc.  He is really great.  Keep in mind that these numbers I gave you are their chambers, so if they are not on the bench, they will answer.  Let me know if you have any other questions.
  • edited December 2011
    bethyann, how far in advance of the ceremony date did you contact the judges?
  • bethyann75bethyann75 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I called around in April and ceremony is mid-September.  If you are worried about calling too early, don't be.  All of these judges plan their schedule well in advance, so they won't be surprised if you call and your wedding is over a year from now. 
  • edited December 2011
    OOPS, I SOOOOO apologize, I totally didn't read the "atheist" part, I am not sure he would do that...but truthfully, I have no idea...I hope you found someone...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards