South Asian Weddings

Funny story re wedding makeup

I went to the Bobbi Brown counter this weekend to try out some more makeup looks for the wedding. The funny thing is, I noticed that when the artist would put the handheld mirror up to my face to decide whether I liked something, I kept doing the "Indian head bobble!" :-) I guess I really belong on the SA board! I told fi and he laughed hysterically when I told him.

Re: Funny story re wedding makeup

• Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL!!    Even though I was born in the U.S., I always find myself doing the FOBiest things at the most random times :-)
  • edited December 2011
    So funny!  The first time I went to a big family gathering, I was so disoriented by "the bobble."  I couldn't figure out if people were agreeing or disagreeing with me or if they just had a nervous tick!
  • edited December 2011
    When FILs tried to teach me Malayalam, I had a hard time with the pronunciation.  I finally got some words down, and then they said "but still no one will understand you unless you also shake your head."  And tried to teach me the head shakes.  I was practically in hysterics at the table ... because they were serious.  I've always wondered where that comes from.
  • Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    but still no one will understand you unless you also shake your head LOL!!  So true!  I don't know what it is about the head bobble that makes things easier to understand among the brown folk
  • edited December 2011
    There's this movie called Flavors that came out in around 2001-2002. Anyway, we watched it a few months ago and there's a really funny scene at the beginning in which an Indian-born software guy is getting fired and he keeps doing it. His white American boss gets totally exasperated and says, "Is that a YES [shaking head yes] or a NO [shaking head no]?" But, yeah, I was shocked to find myself doing it, because I'm still not 100% sure what it means!
  • edited December 2011
    AHAHAH thats the best thing I have heard . . . I always get confused when they do the "Nooo?" meaning yes, like "you want some pudding, no?" haha it's a better example if I do the accent.
  • katie978katie978 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've decided it totally has health benefits.  My neck has been one big giant knot for the last month or so and I find that the bobble makes me relax/loosen it ... or I'm just subconsciously trying to become officially SA before the wedding   :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards