Wedding Etiquette Forum

Night Thread-Talk to me

Re: Night Thread-Talk to me

• bahahhahhaha that is awesome, Loops. I never thought of it that way, lol.
  • Musu, it is weird, I agree. My parents are similar (and by my parents, I mean my mom) but her reasoning was always that it was a bad example for my younger sisters. Frankly, that ship has sailed. My youngest sister has a boy sleeping in her room as we speak. Except I doubt they're sleeping. Ew. My parents don't get as worked up about it as his do though. And again, by his parents, I mean his mom. She's super religious and she once called him a sinner for having premarital sex.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • H and I had separate bedrooms at my parents house until three months before we were married.  We were up there for our shower and there were more people than bedrooms so they instituted a "there's an air mattress in the media room in the basement and a bed in the bedroom in the basement - how about we don't go down there this weekend" With we being, my parents.  But I didn't live there - it was just for visits.  I was okay with "their house, their rules" but H thought I should have stood up to them or gotten a hotel room, but I didn't think it was a hill worth dying on.
  • Ok so I know people were flaming EJ the other day for her bad advice. Read her first statement on this post:

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_i-am-blue-todayand-most-days

WTF? Most women plan their life around finding "the one"? What decade does she think we are living in? I mean, I feel like I'm fairly traditional in that I always planned to get married, etc. But I certainlly didn't plan my life around it.
  • Holy run on sentence Loopy.. wow.
  • I get that parents have traditional views but I dunno. I guess since I know myself and how I acted, I don't expect my future adult children to be any better. If they are, great. But adults are going to do what they are going to do, so my rules won't really hinder that much.
  • When we go home to visit my parents, they always get a hotel room for us.  They have no problem with us sleeping in the same bed, they just don't want us doing it under their roof.  
    knotsigpicture Anniversary
  • I agree MuSu - I always assumed I'd eventually fall in love and get married and have a family, but I am not solely defined by that.  Moreso now than ever before, and frankly it makes me a little uncomfortable, but I'm working on that :).
  • Heh, I kind of did plan my life around it. Or at least, it was the biggest part of my life plan. I don't have big career dreams. I don't know why, I just don't. Getting married and being a mom was always what I wanted most. I hope to have a life outside of that, but I don't know exactly what I'll be doing or what I'll end up doing with my degree.
  • Yeah exactly Loops. I mean I had very big dreams independent of any relationship plans. I knew that whoever I was with would have to be ok with them. I was already with J when I decided to go to law school but I didn't hinge my decision completely on his blessing or anything.
  • Angel there is most certainly nothing wrong with that. But I found it a little offensive that she extended that as a generalization that women still are like today. I think that is less common as she thinks now.
  • My best friend is perfectly happy being single right now and if she never gets married, she'll be fine with.  She's got career plans that need to be fulfilled before she starts a family.  
  • I do, Chrissy. Use that word I mean. It might be more prevalent in the legal field though, since I have to talk about resources for research all the time in my writing.
  • Chrissy - I haven't heard that word used in a while.  
  • FI knew shortly after we started dating that I wanted to be in the miitary and he was perfectly okay with that.  He supports me in whatever I want to do and is willing to go where I go.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_night-thread-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4a16dcd2-c6a8-48e8-b16f-1eb68be6bc4fPost:3bd0011b-6317-4184-8acc-6f8d17fcc308">Re: Night Thread-Talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]I should have written regular people, MuSu.  It clearly makes sense in a legal setting. But IRL, outside of a lawyer's office/classroom?  I think I haven't heard it since 1999. See what I did there? hehe.
    Posted by crfb87[/QUOTE]

<div><div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;text-align:left;line-height:normal;">We learned it in library class in elementary school as a category of the type of things you would find in the library.</div></div>
  • Yeah I don't put it into normal conversation thats for sure. Although sometimes I say weird words and J is like "WTF"
  • Hahaha oh man, I just texted my ex in a friendly manner and I guess his girlfriend had his phone, because I just got told the eff off.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_night-thread-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4a16dcd2-c6a8-48e8-b16f-1eb68be6bc4fPost:fa69b381-c886-498f-818b-5bfea4f691e9">Re: Night Thread-Talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hahaha oh man, I just texted my ex in a friendly manner and I guess his girlfriend had his phone, because I just got told the eff off.
    Posted by angelstar975[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I called an ex boyfriend once (to ask him about something) and his girlfriend picked up the phone.  That was an interesting conversation.

</div>
  • Woops, Angel.

I still have my ex's phone number but haven't texted it in years. I probably wouldn't even need it to remember it. I called it so many times for a few years straight so unless he gets a new cell number I likely won't remember it. We were friends for a while after breaking up so I don't feel weird having his number.
  • He's probably going to be pissed at me tomorrow, but whatever. I thought he had a password on his iPhone. I didn't say anything bad, but she hates me and never wants him to talk to me ever. She told me to go eff myself, stay the hell away from her man and enjoy my marriage, lol.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_night-thread-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4a16dcd2-c6a8-48e8-b16f-1eb68be6bc4fPost:fa69b381-c886-498f-818b-5bfea4f691e9">Re: Night Thread-Talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hahaha oh man, I just texted my ex in a friendly manner and I guess his girlfriend had his phone, because I just got told the eff off.
    Posted by angelstar975[/QUOTE]

<div>ha, that's funny!</div><div>
    </div><div>Hi everyone! I just got out of the pool, and now I'm eating a CPK White Pizza. I'm seriously addicted to them. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_night-thread-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4a16dcd2-c6a8-48e8-b16f-1eb68be6bc4fPost:7c863ac1-4d94-419a-b457-62fdbf939035">Re: Night Thread-Talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]He's probably going to be pissed at me tomorrow, but whatever. I thought he had a password on his iPhone. I didn't say anything bad, but she hates me and never wants him to talk to me ever. She told me to go eff myself, stay the hell away from her man and enjoy my marriage, lol.
    Posted by angelstar975[/QUOTE]

<div>That was pretty much the conversation I had when I called my ex (minus the marriage part because this was before FI and I started dating).  He and I kind of ended on bad terms, and she knew the circumstances.  </div>
  • H used to text or talk with his ex once a month or so.  He lived with her family (parents too for a while at one point and her dad co-signed his first car after he left home at 18.  They dated for like 6 years or something.  I didn't LIKE it, but I trust him.  I guess she didn't react well to us moving, or me being pregnant so he doesn't respond to her anymore.  I can't say that I mind.  She's married to a deadbeat and seems to be pretty insecure anyway.
  • I'm starting to get sleepy. I probably should go to bed.  But I don't wanna.  lol.
  • She sounds pleasant, Angel. I mean I can understand feeling a little protective but not to the extent to tell you to eff off.

Then again, I'd probably say that to J's ex if I ever caught her trying to talk to him a lot. Mainly because she cheated on him which spurned a lot of trust issues for him later. So I'd like her, as Eags would say, to go eat a bag of diicks.
  • Ex and I ended on okay terms, although he was devastated when he found out I was dating FI. She claims her reason for hating me is that I moved on too quickly from him and it hurt him. Bullshit. She hates me because he still loved me for a long time and even broke up with her once in the beginning of their relationship because he still had feelings for me. What I said back was, "As long as you trust him, doesn't matter what I do, does it? Have a great night!"
  • I love your response, Angel.
  • Haha thanks, Sara. I do feel bad that it will probably get him in trouble and he'll be mad at me. But she's a biiiitch, so whatever.
  • All righty.  Olympics are over here, so I'm heading to bed.  G'night!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards