Catholic Weddings
Options

Age Requirement for Maid of Honor

I was wondering if anyone new if there is an age requirement for a Maid of Honor at a Catholic ceremony. I would like to have my 14-year-old sister be my maid of honor, but I'm not sure if that's allowed. Yes, I know she can't sign any legal documents, but there are plenty of other adults who can do that.

Re: Age Requirement for Maid of Honor

• Options
    jobiannjobiann member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure if there is an age requirement, and for me, there was never any doubt my MOH would be one of my friends...obviously in their late 20's...but I guess I preferred someone who has been through weddings before to know what is expected, also someone I can rely on to help me out with important decisions, etc.  It is all personal choice, it is your wedding and I think you can have anyone you want as your MOH. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think that would be a problem. You would just have to get someone else of legal age to witness your documents. Besides that, I don't think there's a reason not to have her.
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No age for moh however you might need to have official catholic witnesses which would have to be confimed catholics but that does not need to be your moh it could be any catholic you know  
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    A Maid of Honor isn't even required in the first place, so I can't imagine why any church would tell you that a 14 year-old can't do it.
  • Options
    drod58drod58 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My best man is 15 years old.  My priest said that the minimum age is 14 and he can sign the papers. My suggestion is to ask your priest.
  • Options
    Tasha8182Tasha8182 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I will certainly ask my priest the next time I meet with him, but that is not until January. I thought that other brdes on here may have encountered similar situations before. Even if the church does not recognize her as such, my sister will be my MOH. I just didn't know if anyone knew if there was any rules for a catholic ceremony (i.e. needs to be 18, needs to be confirmed, etc.). AS far as any legal documents, I figured that I could always have my mother or another bridesmaid sign the papers.
  • Options
    Tiffany&AdamLTiffany&AdamL member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My 14-year-old sister is my MOH, too! She's thrilled with the idea, and my brother's girlfriend, in her twenties, is helping my sister with her "duties" so that she doesn't feel like it's really our mom who's doing everything. As far as the church, my priest hasn't said anything about it. If you need an older Catholic to witness to the marriage, grab an older family member or another member of the BP.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our best man in our wedding was not Catholic and it posed no issue at all. With that said, I don't think age should matter either. Our MOH/BM didn't sign any documents, only our deacon signed the license and he wrote in the names of our MOH/BM. You should be fine and I think it is great that you're sister will be up there with you, regardless of her age.
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ditto PPs; no rule, but you do need someone of legal age to witness and sign paperwork.
  • Options
    jfarr6jfarr6 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My husband's best man was not Catholic and signed our certificate.  The only "rule" was that whoever signed it needed to be 18 years of age or older.  You should def ask your priest.
  • Options
    procowarner15procowarner15 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were never asked any questions about our MOH and Best Man besides, what are their names to print on the certificate. And actually they didnt need to sign either.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards