Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Post office &%%&&^$$

So.... I take my fattty ass invites to see how much they weigh to see if they are too heavy... they are too FAT too... so they are 1.05 EACH to mail. Ummmm no I don't wanna pay that much. The invite company sent me one sample, for 44 cents! Riddle me that batman?!  My friend said she sent hers (same invites) out of Havertown for 81 cents. So should I shop around or just take them to Havertown?  I am so annoyed.

The slovak ones cost 2.10 or something each to mail.... and that is going over seas!! ugh

Re: Post office &%%&&^$$

• edited December 2011
    That's crazy! I sent mine out which were pocketfolds for .61
  • amy727amy727 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow.  I would be hand delivering them if they cost that much. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I know, its ridic!!!! I want to hand deliver most of them now! I am SO beyond mad.
  • Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine were same as Val's.  WIll it vary by post office??  You'd think weight is weight and they'd all be the same.  That's weird.  SOrry I have no advice for you but this makes me a little mad for you.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Stacy she had this little template and said 'it cant fit through this slot'' so its 1.05. Um I bet you I could fit it through the slot!!!! She didn't like try to push it through. I am so so so mad. I have to calm down or I will break out more from stress. ha.
  • edited December 2011
    Always check 2-3 post offices! My STD's were supposedly .44 to send out. When I went to the PO to send them, i hit a different one and they were an additional .17!! all of my pretty envelopes were covered in random stamps! Grr.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011

My invited wouldn't fit through the slot either (remember when they came back to me?!?!)

.44 regular stamp + .17 ram stamp only comes to .61 though.

I was told not to test the system because even if the post office in Havertown will accept the .44 cent stamp it doesn't mean they all will and you don't want to get them back all marked up!

• dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It sounds like your invites are both thicker than 1/4" and over 1oz in weight. 

If your envelope is thicker than 1/4" then it's considered a "large" enevelope.  At the 1 ounce rate, it should cost 88 cents.  However, if it also weighs more than 1 ounce, it's going to cost $1.05.

It'll be tough to get around the 1/4" rule, but do you have a digital food scale you could weigh an invite on and see what that says?  Maybe you're only a small fraction over the 1 ounce and could remove something small from the invites (an embellisment or something).

• edited December 2011
    They have 61 cent stamp wedding ones.... how did u end up with the ram haha.

And yea I know but my friends all went through! :(   I don't wanna pay that much for sending them. GRRR
  • edited December 2011
    Because they didn't tell me about the extra .17 until I bought the .44 stamps, put them on all of the envelopes and brought them to the post office. They returned them to my moms that night at 4:55 with a note that said I need an extra .17 cents.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    what's this slot you speak of?  I just had the lady weigh em and told her that I wanted them handstamped.  She told me to drop them off the following morniing when they open so they had all day to do them.  Apparently, they can't start and stop in the middle.  I just used the cake stamp and was done.  Man, I'm glad I didn't have this problem b/c I woulda gone nuts.  I'm proud of you for being this calm.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    nicole- ohhhh. ;) 

Stacy- She had this board and it has a thin slot and a fat slot, mine 'won't' fit in the thin on.... whatever. Oh and I am not calm, my blood pressure is up. And I guess I am not coming across more mad. I guess in the end it is not that bad, I mean I only have like 60 invites to send.... not like its 160 of them. Could be like nicole and have 5,000 guests ;)
  • lisalaroclisalaroc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard that hand cancelling eliminates this I think?  Cause then they don't need to go in the slot. Maybe ask about that?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I guess my point is, how did the sample get to me with 44 cents!? LOL 
  • edited December 2011
    Only 230 ram stamps ;)
  • edited December 2011
    I can't help much with this, but I would ask about hand cancelling.

Philly Sig Challenge

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    For Sale

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I did ask about that but she didn't really say anything. She just told me what it was and showed me the stamp, she didn't say it made it cheaper, cuz I told her its ridic to be that much.  ugh ugh ugh
  • edited December 2011
    Invite company said just send one with 44 cents and see what happens. She said they sent it like anyone else, from the mail box with a regular stamp! haha So I will send my moms to her and see what happens :)
  • Northstar1808Northstar1808 member
    edited December 2011
    mine was 1.05 per invite too because of how big and heavy it was. But sending it to Canada was only 50 cents more totally didn't get that
  • ev4149ev4149 member
    edited December 2011
    Mine were $1.05 also.  They were like, it's because they're square and big.  I can't believe they were that much!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I have a feeling mine were $1.05 each too.  I remember putting a lot of stamps on.... one cake and two rings maybe?  Not sure. My mother handstamped them herself at Hatboro PO.  Why herself?  Becuase even the post office didn't want to get between my mother and those invitations.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • nanigans918nanigans918 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are they square and can you bend them easily? If the envelope is larger than a certain size (it has to fit into a template all around) it's an addition 20 cents and if they don't bend they have to be charged as a package so it costs more. I  think 1.05 is the cost of a one ounce package.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sorry for your suffering/pain, B2B.  That sucks :(

All I have to say, though is- this is exactlywhy I did not do pocketfolds.  Most brides don't even realize the stress related to the PO.
  • edited December 2011
    Mine are not pocket folds... but anyways I will just go to a diff post office, I am not listening to the last one. She said 'I am shocked you even got your sample with it only having 44 cents on it'... my invite company sent every one of her samples to her brides with a 44 cent stamp, and it always go there.

So I don't wanna chance doing that for all of mine, but I need to just go to diff post offices.
  • ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine were .61 and they were normal size, just over weight rule. Not going to lie when you were talking about these invites my first thought was "holy god those are going to be EXPENSIVE to ship... never the less i'm sorry. I'd pay it rather then get them all back though.
  • edited December 2011
    BP yea I know, I knew they would be more, but not THAT MUCH! I want to pay 81 cents like my friend sent her coaster invites for.... I just don't wanna drive to havertown, I will go to a few post offices near here, if the stupid snow will stop effing all my plans up I could do that!!!  I was so happy to send them out but the post office and snow are messing it all up. 

I sent one in the mail to my mom, she didn't get it... but then again who knows if they were really transferring mail today, if she doesn't get it tmro that will be so dumb.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Traci, We haven't gotten mail yet today and don't know if we're going to at all.  I know UPS isn't delivering.  My neighbor works for them and he has a snow day.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Stac- yea my mom said she got mail but no invite... but I think they just delived the mail they had at the post office near her, and not transferred the mail from my area to hers... who knows. I am  just so annoyed at this. first thing that is pissed me off yet though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards