Catholic Weddings

outdoor ceremony

Has anyone had/planning to have an outdoor catholic ceremony?

Re: outdoor ceremony

• jobiannjobiann member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I believe similar posts to yours can be found further down.  I find it useful to check out the board before posting as about 80% of your questions can be answered by previous posts.With that said, for a quick answer, no, the sacrament of marriage cannot take place outside of the Catholic church.  No way around it. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    You're in the archdiocse of Boston?  There can be dispensations but they are tough.  I would start by trying a Jesuit church such as St. Iggies at Boston College.  They do many outdoor masses there quite often so it could be possible.  Not sure but the only way to find out is to ask.  I do think exceptions are unusual but you may have a good reason.  I don't know.
  • edited December 2011
    I think the important thing is the altar, not the actual church. I believe there are some outdoor churchs (maybe something in Newark, NY, I think), then you can have an outdoor ceremony.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • jobiannjobiann member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All religions are different and out of respect for each different religion it is important to uphold to their beliefs. Religion doesn't/shouldn't change simply because we want it to.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Tiffany&AdamLTiffany&AdamL member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you want an outdoor wedding then it can't be a Catholic ceremony. As some one mentioned, special dispensation can be done, but unfortunately not for an outdoor ceremony. It's only for inter-religious marriages where the ceremony will be held at the non-Catholic's church, but it's still blessed by the Catholic church as a sacrament. The only other special disp. is to allow for the ceremony to be held at the home of a very sick, close relative (or more often the bride or groom). I'm going through all the rigamarole for my Catholic ceremony to a member of the Church of England. Good luck to you in your planning, hope it works out!
  • edited December 2011
    My understanding is that if you are having a Catholic ceremony, it needs to be on sanctified grounds.  In 99.9% of the time that means in a Church.  You may want to check with your diocese as to whether there are any outdoor facilities that fulfill the requirements. 
  • edited December 2011
    We were going to. I'm Catholic, he's not. Couldn't find anyone to do it. Even at the nearby monastery. They have outdoor weddings there, just not Catholic ones, seemed silly. So we're not having a Catholic wedding. We're having his uncle who is a minister in another faith marry us outside instead. It will still be religious and special, and that is what matters most to us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards