New Hampshire
Options

Total Bummer/Slight Rant

FI and I drove to Concord tonight to meet with the officiant at the church we wanted to get married at.  Slight background: FI and I were both brought up Catholic, but have drifted away as it's just not for us.  The church we were looking at is Episcopalian and is at St. Paul's School where I went to a summer program.  It was a really special place for me.  So we drove 45 min. to meet with this guy because he said he didn't want to chat by the phone so he could DENY our request!  This is so ridiculous.  It was because we are already part of a "church community" and we should be looking to get married in that community.  We explained that we didn't really feel a part of that community and we really didn't want to get married in a Catholic church.  He told us that we needed to start a dialogue with our priest and that he was denying our application.Total bummer.  I thought we were going to just go and meet the guy.  I didn't realize there was an approval process!  So now we're back to square one for a ceremony location.  Any suggestions for a non-religous venue in the Manchester area?   Thanks for listening ladies!  You're the best!
Anniversary Buying A Home

Re: Total Bummer/Slight Rant

• Options
    MrsWilson0611MrsWilson0611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where are you having your reception?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The reception is at Fratello's in Manchester.
    Anniversary Buying A Home
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh my I am sorry to hear about that experience.  Totally uncalled for on that guys behalf, he should have spoken with you over the phone and not made you drive all that way!  Well, at least now you know and you can move on...as far as church/non-churches go, have you looked into the Manchester Congregational Church?  I haven't been yet, but used to go to a Congregational Church in Derry (and my former pastor recommended the Manchester one).  Anyways, Congregational Churches aren't that strict, so if you want to have a church ceremony, you might want to go that route.  Not really sure about non-religious ceremony sites in the Manchester area...did you check out the NH Page?  GL!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't recommend a specific church, but I agree that Congregational Churches are the way to go.  I was raised Catholic, and have since decided not to be, and FI was raised in a Congregational church.  My mom went to the Congregational church in my hometown when she was a kid, but was forced to convert to marry my dad.  I'm getting married in my mom's old congregation, and they've been very welcoming!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thats crazy talk! Fi and I are getting married in a Congregational Church, we literally just googled Congregational Churches in ........ And then found ours which is nice and close to our venue. How Silly ... I hope it works out for you!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Fisher Cats Stadium???  They actually played our wedding music at one of the games last month (I think it was a mistake, but I was nostalgic).  Heard they are getting into the wedding business now.Check out SEARLES CHAPEL in Windham (I think they hold like 120) we LOVED it there and even put down a deposit (but ended up not being big enough for us). Candi was married there.  Totally workable with Fratello's and VERY AFFORDABLE (much less than a traditional church donation).Good luck!!!
  • Options
    Steffy3217Steffy3217 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know that totally stinks that you can't get married there, but maybe it'll work out for the best, now your guests won't have to travel the 45 minutes to your reception site...There's also an esplinade right down the road on the river by Fratellos that you could do. Or their is a park with a brand new gazebo down canal street towards hooksett. Fishercats would be cool too! Or maybe the Currier museum of art?Also check out the manchester gov website, and they list all sorts of parks and other places.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know you said non-religious, but I'm still going to throw this out there. I'm getting married at the First Congregational Church in Manchester (on the corner of Union and Hanover Streets). It's a Christian church. You can get married there if you're not a member and you don't have to go through the pre-maritial classes. The fee the get married there is higher than other churches because of this, I believe. I'm paying $650 total (for the church rental, officiant and security fee). They provide the officiant and mine, thus far, as been good to work with. She provided me with an outline of the service and options of things for her to say.
    Laura
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I should have read through the responses first... ditto a few other posters :) haha.
    Laura
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok all pp's are right a Congregational and Unitarian churches are easier to get married in even if you do not belong to the church.  Manchester has a few, Brookside Congregational Church on North Elm St and the First Congregational Church mentioned before. Yes you can have it in a park.  We have had a few at Arms Park, Stark Park, I am getting married at Pretty Park (also known as Wagner Memorial Park)  Parks are free!!Currier Gallery is very beautiful but I have been told it cost $1000 or $1500 to have your ceremony there. You also have the Alvirne Chapel in Hudson, NH holds seated 75 with standing up to 120, cost $150 to rent for 2 hours. I hope this helps!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards