Nevada-Las Vegas

Flying with Dress...

Hi Ladies!I'm traveling to Las Vegas from NY, and I have no idea how my dress is going to get there! I just called our airline (Southwest) and they don't provide any closet space or separate on-board area to store the dress, so it would have to be squeezed into a tiny carry-on suitcase and stored in the over head compartments... I'm almost tempted to ship my dress out to the hotel.. anyone have experience doing either?? I really don't know what is the safest/best way to do this!

Re: Flying with Dress...

• edited December 2011
    Hmm...I'm flying Southwest as well but only from LA to LV.  I've asked my tailor to fold it special in the garment bag and then just bring that on board instead of trying to stuff it in a carry-on.  Then I've having someone press the dress at my hotel (if needed).  I wouldn't risk shipping the dress - anything could happen.  I would ask your tailor if he/she can package your dress for carry-on. 
  • edited December 2011
    I would just carry it as your carry on in it's garment bag, then fold it in half in its own overhead bin and not let people pile bags in with it. Or you could ship it to Debi at fit for a bride. I know many many brides have done that in the past and I think she notifies you when it is received and all that and can drop it off at your hotel. While I didn't ship to her since I am local, she was great to work with.
  • atlcatloveratlcatlover member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I carried my dress on the plane with me in a garment bag and just made arrangements with Debi to have it taken care of (steamed) in Vegas.  That way I didn't worry about it all and it didn't matter if it got wrinkled during the flight.  I didn't trust shipping it, but I know a lot of people do it with no problems. 
  • edited December 2011
    Can you carry your dress in a rbidal dress bag..?
  • edited December 2011
    bridal
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going to see if my dress will fit into one of those Space Saver bags to hopefully compact it down more to fit in a carry-on. And like all pp I'm going to have it steamed out by Debi. I don't feel okay enough to ship it out.
  • tamijoy514tamijoy514 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We flew on US Air from Charlotte to Vegas, and we went up to the gate agent and asked if we could board with first class so we could find somewhere for my dress. The flight attendant took it and hung it in the first class closet. If your dress isn't too poofy and big, just put it in your carry on. I shipped my dress home so I didn't have to deal with it on the flight back. If you decide to ship it to Vegas, like previous posters, ship to Debi cause you're going to have to get it steamed anyway.
  • edited December 2011
    Do not have the hotel steam it go to Debbi as the previous postes stated.  The Hotel doesn't know how to handle a wedding dress.  Debbi is great with wonderful reviews.  I am local but my sister used her when she flew in from washington state.  Worked out great. My sister packed hers in her luggage I thought she was nuts.
  • edited December 2011
    my mom's taking care of the my dress (she's so sweet) and will be flying southwest from philadelphia.  she's going to put it in the overhead compartment and when we get to vegas, we're handing it off to debi fit for a bride.  as long as it can get on the plane, it can get wrinkled since it'll be steamed later.  i didn't want to take my chances shipping it.
  • edited December 2011
    I shipped my to Debi and had no issues at all.  I knew I would have issues with the airlines and have shipped many things with no issues at all.  I just insured it and had no problems.  Make sure you insure the package for the full value because shippers take much better care of the package if they are liable.  While there is a risk with shipping, I have had good experiences with shipping things all over the world, and was willing to risk it.  Debi was amazing and she emailed me as soon as she got it.  I would definitely recommend going through her and ship it early if you don't want the last minute stress.  She is fantastic. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Another piece of advice for carrying on, we got from our seamstress for my sisters wedding. Have the dress inside out in the dress bag. That way if TSA opens the garment bag to inspect the dress you don't risk any smudges or marks from them touching the dress.
  • linz6784linz6784 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I  started worrying about packing the dress today. I was able to get the tailor who did the alterations to fold up the dress so it will fit in a carryon. I have arrangements for Debi at Fit For a Bride to steam the dress once we are in Vegas. This way the dress is always in sight, and I feel its a bit more protected in a carry on bag than just thrown in the overhead.Good Luck!
  • juju9000juju9000 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i did this and did nothing but worry - we were lucky though b/c we carried it on and they put it in first class cabin -- HOWEVER - be the last to board and ask the flight attendant to give it directly to the baggage loaders and they will lay it nicely in cargo = that's what they did for me also on another leg - you could also ship it -- but the only thing is it will get wrinkled and the hotel will offer cleaning/pressing servies but it's OFF site - worth your while to pack a steamer and do it yourself!!! hope this helps! pack / ship / pack a steamer and u are set worry free!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards