Louisiana-Baton Rouge

Who's your photographer? HOw much is too much?

Hey My fiance has been giving me a hard time about our photographer. The wedding pictures are the most important thing to me and because of that I don't mind spending a good part of our budget on it. Although our budget is not that big( we ourselves are paying for it) I want to have the best memories of our wedding as possible. I would like to know your photographer? How much is too much to pay for photos?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Who's your photographer? HOw much is too much?

• eponvilleeponville member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree about pictures being very important- my parents skimmed on their photography budget 35 years ago and still regret it to this day! We are paying about 2400 (I think) it includes engagements bridals and 8 hours on the wedding day and we get the copyrights to all pictures taken (this was important to me) a coffee table book and some prints. we aren't getting many prints with our package since we will have the copyrights and can choose what we want to print later... My mom and I talked to countless photographers and found it impossible to compare any 2 photographer's/ packages since every photographer's packages are so different...
  • edited December 2011
    Same thing here.  My mom and dad were not pleased with their wedding photos from 30 years ago.  And I have seen a number of subpar photographers in recent weddings I have attended.  So photography was high on my list of priorities.  We are going with The Photography Shoppe, our package is their package 3 for $1695 and we are getting the following: 8 hours of photography, two photographers, a bridal session, an engagement session, an 11 x 14 print, an 8 x 10 print, four 5 x 7 prints, a flush mount wedding album, two flush mount parent albums, online proofing of the pictures.To see some of their work, you can visit their site:  www.photographyshoppe.netOur photographer is going to be Kristin.  I'm not sure who the second shooter will be the day of the wedding yet, but Kristin will be taking our engagements and bridals.  HTH!
    Bio (updated 4/3/10 with invitations) AAW Board Brides
    500 invitedimage 301 acceptedimage 101 declinedimage

RSVP date: April 23rd Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • klobue23klobue23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • toastie624toastie624 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using Bray Danielle, and getting the basic package for $1800. Her work is awesome, and she comes highly recommended by both the girls on this forum and my wedding coordinator at our Ceremony/Reception site. W We had the same problem with fitting the photographer into the budget (I'm a stickler for great photos and the copyrights, the fiance didn't care as much lol), and trust me, we still can't afford what we're paying because we're paying for the whole shebang ourselves, but this is one area I felt could not be second rate. Good luck with your search!!!! :)
  • edited December 2011
    We too are going with the Photography Shoppe and Package #3. We have not yet picked a photographer, but will be talking to Cate soon to arrange all of that.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok from the looks of what ya"ll are saying  im really paying to much for my photographer! ugh! to late now i hope they are really good and worth it :0(
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I really think it all depends on the photographer and how much you are willing to spend. My parents are paying for about 60% of our wedding and my fiance' and I are paying for the rest. We just really couldn't afford to put out a lot of money for things since I won't be graduating until next spring and will only be working a few months before we get married. My fiance' pretty much pays all of our bills. I work two jobs, but I can't put any aside for the wedding. I completely agree that the photography was something I was willing to splurge on if needed. I think if you are happy with who you chose, don't worry about what everyone else is paying.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    THanks
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using Eye Wander Photography - and I'm getting the basic package at $2,500 plus some additions.  I signed up when he was offering a free bridal session so that was a nice plus.  I know I'm paying a little more for his pictures - but his work is amazing.  I also really liked Thompson Photography but he was booked on my date.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Don't worry about what you're paying for your photographer. I know it's tough to stay within budget while wanting to have awesome photos! But do what you have to do. I'm over budget on my photographer, easy! But I know I won't regret it, so it's completely worth it to me.I feel like I'm paying too much as well, but I know he is good at what he does and I will have awesome photos to show it. All I'm getting is 5 hours of coverage for approximately $1800 after tax. I get the CD with copyright release of all the images from the day, edited. I may end up spending another $500 printing photos and getting an album made, but I'm okay with that...it's cheaper than having the photog do it and I can pick all the pictures I want. Though who knows, in the end I may splurge and have him make me an album!! He really does a good job on them :). It's Michael Caswell Photography by the way.
  • msiguemsigue member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am paying a lot.  The photographer was my one true big splurge item and while I hate to admit the cost is close to $4K, it's the one thing that was super important to me and my fiance.  Everything else we were willing to cut costs with or stick to a hard budget.We decided on Mark Eric out of Alexandria whose work is phenomenal (markeric.com).  We chose the 'B' package ($3,500), which includes quite a bit with a specific few add-ons and trades by us.  All in all here is what we are getting:1.  (100) 4x6 professionally printed photos2.  (1) 12x12 30 page Flush Mount Album*3.  (2) 5x5 30 page Parent Flush Mount Albums*4.  Engagement session5. DVD of all wedding and engagement photos plus printing and sharing rights6. 7 hours wedding coverageWe added the parent albums since we are giving them as thank you gifts to our parents (his and mine) with one replacing the Bridal portrait which originally came with the package.  We thought it would be a great representation to our parents of "thank you for giving us this beautiful amazing wedding".  We also upgraded the size of the main flush mount album from 8x8.As for the flush mount album, I figured this could be a project I do myself but soon realized:(a) it's a very time intensive project that I may not get to or would take forever to finish,(b) most but not all flush mount printers require you to go through a graphic designer or photographer and do not work directly with consumers, and(c) there's a price to be paid for convenience and the magic of seeing it done for me and having it be a beautiful surprise later and post-wedding.I hope that helps.  It's a lot of money but the photography it truly the one lasting and tangible takeaway that all of my family can share.  I am so excited about it and while I gulp a bit at the price tag, I know it will be worth it in the end.  Plus, Mark and his wife Heather are a superb team to work with.Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi everyone! I just wanted to share my photographer info. He is great! We are using Genovese Photography. He is absolutey amazing! Check out his work at genovesephotography.com! We have engagements scheduled for March 2010 and I am so excited!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards