Louisiana-Baton Rouge

destination wedding in BR, resources needed!!!

We are doing a "destination wedding" in Baton Rouge.  Unfortunately we are from the Midwest and will only have two opportunities to get down there before the big day in March. (Ceremony location is taken care of.)  So.......Any advice for caterers w/ alcohol services, photographer, DJ, tent rental w/ chairs, linens, lighting, etc, and a florist.  Affordability without sacrificing too much on quality is key.  Any advice is much appreciated!  Thanks ladies

Re: destination wedding in BR, resources needed!!!

• marmel8790marmel8790 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tiger Canopy Rentals, 225-939-0622. I haven't used them, but my future mother-in-law did for a recent family reunion and nothing but good things to say about them. From what I understand they have TONS of different items. They are cheap compared to others in the area. They have dance floors too.
  • edited December 2011
    i'm an event designer here, and can help you if you're looking for someone to do all of the ground work for you. Here are the people that I recommend. You can let them know that Brittiny of Amour Toujours Events referred you. Cassy Benoit for catering, cakes, tent rental, chairs, and linens. I don't believe that she has an alcohol license, but you can check. 225-590-3092 Caryn Roland, Heirloom Cuisine, she has the alcohol services but no linens etc. Caryn W. Roland Catering and Event Manager, Heirloom Cuisine, LLC 225-784-0535 225-907-4429 cell 425-871-6419 fax Lighting/deejaying I use just add part.net (they also have a great catering package). I usually work with Justin 504-919-5290, 504-442-3110 Deejay (he also has photobooths) Brodrick Haygood, 225-769=2229 Makeup/Hair Emily Hudspeth http://www.emilyhudspeth.com/ Aimee of Aimee-zing Faces (Her Hubby is a photographer, Ron Carr) Photographers Rita Artelich http://www.ritafrelichartography.com/ 504-416-6091 Katy Marshall http://www.katymarshallphotography.com/ 225-288-3356 Ron Carr/Aimee http://www.aimeezingfaces.com/ Florist The Heroman brothers are great!! Silk Flowers Tess Definition of Perfection 225-405-4696
  • kbarron1kbarron1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi there!  We are using the following for our wedding and have been very happy so far: Catering: Bayou Bistro Catering (they have alcohol services, too)  www.labayoubistro.com Florist: Coles in Baton Rouge, but Lance Hayes is AMAZING and while he tends to do lots of upscale events, he will work with any budget you give him   www.colesflorist.com Tents/chairs/linens: Doug Olinde in Baton Rouge. He's super nice and priced at about what everyone else in BR is priced at and you can get it all in one spot.  www.dougolindellc.com Photographer:  Our photog is out of Hammond.  Her name is Robin DePaula and we like her style and she runs some good deals  www.depaulaphotography.com
  • toastie624toastie624 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing the same thing, and good ness knows I've asked these ladies plenty of questions in similar posts :) We're living in Ohio, and went once in July to book the cake, photo, DJ, Florist, and thank goodness had our ceremony/reception booked before that, but the next time we'll be in BR before the wedding in June is this Thanksgiving, so trust me, I feel your pain lol! Anyway, here's who we went with, and so far everyone has been helpful in understanding we're doing this from out of town...email and phone calls are key :) Ceremony/Reception: Nottoway Plantation (catering included) Cake: Ambrosia Bakery (good price, and Miss Cheryl took one look at my dress picture and drew a custom cake on the spot! Yummy, huge cake samples as well!) DJ: X-Pert DJs (very good price!) Florist: A Cottage Path (affordable and Miss Leah is great!) Photographer: Bray Danielle (super sweet and does excellent work!) I'm also using Tina from Bridal Beauty Consulting for hair and makeup, and her prices seem to be in the same ballpark as others, since she will be coming to the location to do everyone's hair and makeup. Pretty much everyone in the party is out of town, so that just made it easier to have hair and makeup done at the venue so no one has to run around. However, if you have time to go to a salon to get your hair and makeup done, that would probably save some money. Just look into salons, etc. near your hotel or venue, and that should help...the internet will be your best friend lol.Congrats, and good luck!!! :)
  • billylou84billylou84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey ladies!  Thanks for the great advice and resources.  I am just now getting to the point where I can start contacting vendors.  I did have a bit of a freak out "moment".  The more I think about what I need to do, the more things I come up with that need done.  My fiance is studying for a PhD qualifying exam (which is in two weeks), and I just started my third year in veterinary school.  Needless to say we are a little busy.  So making time to make phone calls and figure out exactly what I want to ask the vendor is proving to be stressful for me.  Anyway, I emailed LA Bayou Bistro to see how their prices will change for such a small reception (only about 60-70 people).  So I am excited to see what they have to say!  The save the dates are ready to be ordered (waiting on my fam for some information).  That's about all we have done so far.   Thanks again and keep them coming if you have more!
  • HoneyLeigh07HoneyLeigh07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had originally booked Bayou Bistro and we booked the smallest package (which was still a TON of food) and it was $17.95/person. They did have a price increase though and it is now $19.95/person, I believe. The beer and wine package they offered was $6/person. The food is really really good. We eventually decided we wanted to go with an all-inclusive reception hall and were sad we had to cancel them.
  • klafle3klafle3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm usually a lurker, but I just had to comment here because I love my vendors!Florist - Bloom, Inc. (formerly Flowers by Jimmy Thomas); Casey is wonderful. He came highly recommended and has a very sleek and modern style. He's young and really knows what is "in." This was the first florist I met with, and he suggested I meet with another just to get an idea of what I was looking for. I went to the Cottage Path, and her prices were nearly double his. Bloom, Inc. 225.344.4361Photographer - Thompson Photography; Brody and Katy did my engagement photos, as well as my bridal portraits. I couldn't be more pleased with the way the pictures turned out. The only thing that some people may have a problem with is that they do not give up copyrights to the photos. http://www.thompsonphotography.org/Reception/Caterer - White Oak Plantation; we are having our reception here. They do all the catering, alcohol, linens, and other rentals. This might be a good choice since you are not currently in BR; you can do it all at once. Roslyn is great. http://www.jfolse.com/whiteoak/index.htmGL!
    kiddoAnniversary Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    GP Bestie to marriedtoeric
    My BFP Chart
    breastfeeding, cloth diapering, bed sharing mommy
  • edited December 2011
    My wedding is in 63 days and I'm finalizing all the last minute details right now...My catering came with my venue (The Lake House) which also includes the cake and DJ.They use Phil of Countdown Sound - I hope he's good because I didn't get a say so in the matter.  For a cake, I would definitly recommend Nannette Mayhall - she makes the most devine Red Velvet cake you can imagine.  I would definitly be using her if my cake wasn't included in my package.  She bakes for some of the local restaurants and she's a big secret in town...I'm using Eye Wander photography - Aaron Hogan.  His work is special -- he captures moments!  It's art!  I also love Thompson Photography - I went to LSU with Brody and was in his first photography class.  He's awesome but was booked on my day.My florist is Jake from Jake's on the Avenue in Denham Springs.  His work is beautiful and he gives great advice!I've heard that Ginger's Party rental is good for extras... table linens... serving wear... tents... etc.Good Luck!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Update:We booked Complete Music this week for both ceremony and reception.Fi is going to call/interview photographers this week (Aimee Carr, Robin DePaula, and Crystal Abadie) via phone.  All three are running great deals right now and are therefore in our price range.  Hopefully we can narrow it down to two to interview in person.The save the dates have been ordered, so we're waiting on those (should be in on Tuesday!).My local contact in BR is working on caterers w/ pricing.  I am struggling w/ florists and bakeries - I know absolutely nothing about flowers, nor am I very creative.  I am hoping my MOH will really step up for me in this area.We have no leads on someone to actually marry us as of now....any help at all would be much appreciated.  (We are both Christian but do not belong to a church as of now.)And rental companies - I wish they would put prices of some sort on their websites to make it a little easier to judge them.  OHHH...and I am finally getting to go dress shopping tomorrow!!!!!  I am hoping to purchase tomorrow, so keep your fingers crossed for me!That's where we are...
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Update:So I found my dress at David's Bridal yay!  We just booked a rental company - went with Tiger Canopy Rentals.  I will meet with them next weekend when we head down there for a long weekend.  He was by far the cheapest and his references had nothing but good things to say...fingers crossed.Fi is calling photographers and setting up appointments.Starting the search for a minister/priest/JOP, and haven't the silghtest clue what I'm doing there.  Save the dates are sent.  Picked out invitations but haven't ordered them yet.  Bridesmaids dresses have been chosen.  My MOH is going to order hers soon so I can see it before the rest order it.  I went with a JCrew dress - a little pricey, but I know they are good.  My local contacts have connections with florists and caterers, so we will make more decisions when we get down there next Friday.  Any more advice/comments please let me know...cuz I'm definitely stabbing in the dark (at least that's what I feel like).
  • edited December 2011
    awesome job gteting everything taken care of!! also try fluer du jours for your flowers. she has a very avant garde approach and her work is really pretty.. if you have people in town send them to the crowne plaza sunday, there's a bridal show and who knows, you may just win a prize!!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Alright, yet another update on the out of town planning.  We made a trip this past weekend. (a long one obviously) and got a few major items crossed off the list....1. Caterer/drinks - BOOKED!!!  LA Bayou Bistro came so highly recommended that it was the only place we visited.  The food was awesome and Brad (the owner) was super nice and accommodating.  Good prices.2. Photographer - we decided to go with Ron Carr with Aimeezing Faces.  He was also super nice and really worked with us with our very limited budget.  The pictures he takes are wonderful and he is full of personality, which is one of the things we loved about him.  3. Rental company - Tiger Canopy Rentals.  Again, super nice, flexible, accommodating, awesome prices.  I went (with some of my girls) to get a quote from The Bloom (Casey) - florist.  I will preface this by saying that I know absolutely nothing about flowers.  I was surprised about how much they cost!  Although, I don't think the quote he gave me was unreasonable, just wasn't really ready to see the number.  The experience was a little overwhelming - brought to my attention many things I hadn't thought about or considered yet.  He was the only florist I had the chance to meet with over the weekend, but now that I have an idea of what I want, I will call a few to get quotes from.  As far as the JOP/priest goes, we haven't contacted anyone yet.  As always, any advice/comments/anything is welcome!  Enjoy ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards