North Carolina

Travel Advice

I need some help from all the well-traveled ladies- Ok, so we are going on our HM to St Lucia in 39 days!  I have only flown once (when I was 12) and I have never been out of the US and pretty much have just been to FL and NY (I know... I'm deprived) I need some advice/suggestions about traveling/flying/staying at an AI, especially things I need to make sure I bring that may not be obvious.  TIA girls!
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Travel Advice

• edited December 2011
    My main advice for flying is to give yourself plenty of time and take lots of deep breaths.  Plenty of time so that you aren't stressing yourself out about standing in security, worried that you will miss your flight.Lots of deep breaths because things may not turn out properly, but there is no need to loose your head about it.  There will be plenty of others who do though.  If your flight gets cancelled, seriously delayed, or they overbook the flight to the point that they won't assign seats until everyone is at the gate, being nice will get you on the flight or on the next flight faster than making demands.For instance, when I was returning to the states after studying abroad, my flight from JFK to RDU was overbooked and they didn't give about 15 people seat assignments until you got to the gate (I was one of them).  I waited in line and listened to people yell at, berate, and threaten the gate agent.  When I got there, I told her I had been away from home for 5 months and was really looking forward to making it home to see my parents.  Guess who was the only person to get on the plane out of everyone standing in line?  You will always catch more flies with honey...Also, while flying and while traveling in general, drink lots of water.  You want to stay hydrated, especially in dry airplane air. 
  • edited December 2011
    Courtney - I know you are so excited for the HM!  Megan gave some great advice about flying.  I would also add that its not a bad idea to carry on a change of clothes.  FI's family has taken us on a few AI vacations and they are awesome.  It really makes vacationing a breeze to be able to stay on the resort and relax.  Usually when we first get to the resort our rooms aren't ready (we try to get there around lunch or so) so it helps to have a bathing suit in that carry on as well in case you want to hit the pool while you are waiting for your room.  Typically they'll keep our luggage near check-in until our rooms are ready and then they'll have someone bring the luggage to us. I don't know if you are a picky eater but I can be somewhat picky (although I'm much better than I was 5 years ago) so I've always taken some kind of snacks with me on long trips.  Pringles do well in the cans and rice krispie treats are always good too.  Depending on your resort, there should be tons of food and you probably won't need anything, but I like to have some junky comfort food just in case I get a craving ;) I'm guessing you know about flying with small (<3.5 oz) liquids in your carry-on... having those accessible in a clear ziplock bag in your hand luggage makes getting through security very easy.  And I tend to wear Danskos when I fly so that I can easily take my shoes on and off and not have to walk through the checkpoints barefoot - seeing bare feet on those floors gives me the heebie jeebies!  HTH - let us know if you still have questions!
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Just thought of some "things" to bring - plenty of sunscreen, camera batteries/memory cards, you probably won't need a beach towel (check with the resort on this - they usually provide them), bring a hat for the beach, if you like to read bring books/magazines, a small purse or clutch since you won't need a large bag at the resort.  I'll add more if I think of anything else :)
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah don't forget the liquid restriction.  In Japan they don't have it so when I was returning to Japan from Saipan I forgot my sunscreen was in my carry-on and they made me throw it away.  I was so mad because I can't buy sunscreen without a bleaching agent in it in Japan >:(
  • grace_ugagrace_uga member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second everything everyone has already said.  I would also bring some travel sickness pills just in case.  I would also say this - things may go wrong on your trip - travel is unpredictable - but keep your head and everything will turn out ok.  Just don't let the hiccups derail your whole trip...
  • smlinebesmlinebe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Take your own sunscreen.  It's super expensive to purchase it at these resorts.  And take some Tums or Pepto or something, sometimes the change in diet can cause diarrhea or upset stomach.  Also, usually some of the restaurants at resorts have a dress code, so make sure to take a couple of nice outfits.  :)  Have fun!!
  • alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would check out some travel stores.  I get a lot of my travel stuff from REI.  They have these roll up bags that you put your stuff in then roll them up to shrink your clothing.  They are great.  I was able to fit all my clothing in a backpack for a 5 day trip to San Antonio.  You will probably have more stuff, but those bags might be able to help you cut down on space.  And as we all know, the airlines love to charge for extra baggage.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards