South Carolina-Charleston

Cake Vendor Reviews

I am in search of a cake! Here's who I'm looking at, and my experience so far. Will you please lend recommendations or additional insight if you've worked with these folks? Cakes by Jim Smeal: Pricey, but he does some fabulous work. I've had his cakes before at weddings but I'm wondering if it's worth the $$ Cakes by Kasarda: Has been great about communication with me and helping me "talk" out what I'm looking for. Most of theirs I have seen are a bit to "whimsical" for my style, but I think she would work with me. Ashley Bakery: Cru Catering gave a glowing recommendation of them. They've been right so far about all other recommendations. Got a generic interest email back, but I have not followed up so far. TIA!

Re: Cake Vendor Reviews

• edited December 2011
    I am also looking for a cake.  Unfortunately, I have not really worked with any of them yet so I'm not sure how much help I can offer.  I do have a tasting with Cakes by Kasarda on Thursday so I can let you know how that goes.  I have also had tastings with D'lish and Baked, but I do not have any designs or pricing from them on my cake yet.  Let me know if you need any info on either D'lish or Baked.Jim Smeal does have beautiful cakes, do you know what he starts at per slice?  I have not tasted his cakesI have also had recommendations by people I trust for The Cake Stand on Folly Rd.I was a little unimpressed with Ashley Bakery.  I requested info and received the same generic email you did, and the woman I talked to on the phone seemed to care less that she was talking to me.  Maybe I'm being too harsh, but every other company seemed enthusiastic to be helping me and since they weren't they stuck out like a sore thumb.On a separate topic, are you using Cru as your caterer?  If so, what do you think so far?  I would love to talk to you about your experiences.
  • edited December 2011
    We looked at Baked, the Cake Stand, and Michelle at Piggly Wiggly in Mt P. Thoughts on each: Baked - samples were dry, very expensive, and delivery/setup charges were insane - $150 out to Middleton Cake Stand - had the best icing, cake was just okay. The baker had the personality of a limp dishrag, her husband was very nice though. If you wanted different flavors/fillings in each layer the price increased 25 cents per layer. We're getting 3 layers, wanted 3 different flavors, $4.75/slice. She charges for the base of the cake - you can rent a stand from her for $35 or if you don't want the stand, she charges for the cardboard underneath, $15. Seriously? She has to put the cake on something, so you get charged either way. I think delivery/set up was $60, and she was going to charge $45 to put fruit/chocolate shavings on it. Michelle at PW- This is who we ultimately went with. Cake was the best by far. Very moist. Frosting was good, although not as good as the cake stand. She doesn't charge extra for different flavors in different layers, and said she would just charge for the price of the fruit for the cake, so like $10 max. She's even lending us her cake stand at no additional charge. I had also checked with Ashley Bakery, but their standard icing is an almond buttercream. DF has a small allergy to nuts and though he can eat things made in bakeries that use nuts, I was just afraid they would mix up the order and put the wrong icing on the cake. Cakes by Linda out of Ladson, maybe, also sounded good, but we never got to the tasting/pricing part because we found Michelle and were happy with her.
  • edited December 2011
    Helpful advice. Fi is in Charleston right now and I'm trying to set up appointments w/Kasarda & AB today. Yes, I'm requesting them from NC even though he's the one there :) I think 3 days of RD planning w/my FILs has stressed him out! Anyway, Cru - awesome!!!! Jenny is wonderful. A little slow getting back to you, but they will work with your budget, have great food, and have great vendor suggestions. I also have to recomment Mediterra. I worked with them years ago and they do some awesome events. Ended up going w/Cru based on price and them allowing us to tailor our beer/wine/liquor selections. But Katie at Mediterra is great about communicating with you. I highly recommend them. For those of you who don't know, they operate the Wickliffe House.
  • edited December 2011
    I am using Michelle also! She's great and she was most helpful in finding a way to meet our head count and budget. I didn't do tastings around town because I had already eliminated the over $3/slice vendors. I met Linda (previously mentioned in a comment) at a bridal show- I wasn't impressed with her cake or her attitude, to be honest with you. While I understand nobody wants to work on a Sunday- she shouldn't participate if she is unhappy about being there.
  • edited December 2011
    We used Jim Smeal and couldn't have been happier.  The cake was not only delicious, but stunning.  And I'm not big on cake!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • andreagornoandreagorno member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using Elaine & Tony at Elaine's Events. Wedding isn't until October but so far they have been great to work with. They are a husband and wife team recommended by my DOC. They did her wedding cake and she orders from them every year. Our cake is $4.50 a slice but her flavors are so unique and awesome, it seems well worth it. Previous to booking with Elaine, I made a tasting appointment with Ashley Bakery. My mom flew in from Michigan for it (& other wedding appts) and when we showed up at the bakery the place was closed down and the woman wouldn't answer her cell phone. I had just made the appointment a week prior! She never returned any of my voicemails either. Obviously I'm not recommending them at all.
  • edited December 2011
    We are using Ashley Bakery.   Although she may have given you a generic email response, when  you meet her in person, Laney is awesome!  I had a bunch of different ideas that I liked but didn't know how to choose and she sat with us for an hour to come up with the perfect cake.  I absolutely love the design!  We have had 4 tastings with different cake vendors and FINALLY we both found a cake we loved.  The cake was absolutely delicious! 
  • cougarettecougarette member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're also using Michelle at the Pig and we love her!  She either used to own a bakery or worked in one so she has a lot of talent but low prices since she doesn't have to worry about all the overhead.She gave us good ideas on budget and head count too.  She gave us the idea to use a fake layer as the bottom layer to get an impressive looking cake but without a ton left over.  She's so sweet and really excited about her job.

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
    Amanda (cougarette) has read 10 books toward her goal of 75 books.
    hide
  • kelkigskelkigs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jim Smeal was out of my price range.  If you can afford him, you won't be disappointed.I don't know much about Cakes by Kasarda, and I heard too many negative things about Ashley Bakery (dry cake, unresponsive, etc...).I looked into The Cake Stand, Village Bakery and Cakes by Christine Clancy.  I liked all of them.I ended up using Christine Clancy for her cake flavors/taste, price and personality and was not disappointed.  I thought my cake was so beautiful that I did not want to cut into it at the reception, and it tasted fantastic too.  As an added bonus, she bakes an extra top layer for you to save for your one year anniversary. 
  • edited December 2011
    Ladies:  which Piggly Wiggly is Michelle at?
  • KRoo57KRoo57 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jean Paul's Creative Cakes are amazing! I used them and so did many of my friends...fantastic taste and beautiful!
  • shannjeffshannjeff member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    cakes by kasarda is who we are using..they will work with you on any style you want..it doesn't have to be whimsical..the cake tasting is awesome and you dont have to pay for it like some places..its located in a crappy part of town but once you go inside, its worth it. good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Michelle is at the Piggly Wiggly off of Rifle Range Rd in Mt Pleasant. I think it's Seaside Farms.
  • edited December 2011
    Hands down... Elainesevents.com!!!On Johns Island..
  • edited December 2011
    Hands down... Elainesevents.comOn Johns Island..
  • edited December 2011
    Has anyone used sweetsmith bakery? I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on them. Thanks!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • MellandNateMellandNate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Artistic Cakes by Linda has some awesome designs and great taste Also, Jean Paul is so good!
  • AndrewsAddyAndrewsAddy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sweetsmith is a bakery that my fiancee's family has used FOREVER for birthday cakes and the like. At present, they are our top choice for the cake-age stuff. I don't off-hand know anyone who has used them for weddings, but, let me tell you they will do anything you suggest, and if you have pictures, they can do it well. Their hummingbird cake is the best thing EVER.

I don't know about their pricing though...yet.
  • ZagarigmZagarigm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where is Christine Clancy? Any knotties have her contact or website? Thanks!

Also, Michelle at PW contact?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards