Nevada-Las Vegas

Inexpensive receptions???

So I've almost decided on getting married in the Chapelle du Paradis (sp?) at the Paris. Personally, I don't want a reception, but my guy is insisting :o/We will probably have about 50 people at our wedding...anyone have suggestions of inexpensive reception locations, preferably on or JUST off the Strip? We want to do heavy h'ordeuvres, not a buffet or plated meals. He would like to do at least an hour of open bar but we are seriously going to have to forgo that if it's going to cost a ton of money.Honestly, the ceremony we want is going to run us $1200, which means I really don't want to spend more than $1800 on the reception, less if possible. I know this doesn't sound like much, but this is my second wedding. My parents won't pay for any of it (and I wouldn't want/ask them to anyway) and his parents don't have much money. So we have to do this alll on our own.So yeah, any personal stories or ideas on doing a reception in Vegas for less than $2k are MORE than welcome!!!

Re: Inexpensive receptions???

• atlcatloveratlcatlover member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds to me like your best bet is going to be an in suite reception.  Lots of ladies on the board have had or are planning them so hopefully they'll chime in.
  • Ray_RayRay_Ray member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd agree with pp. Hire of a suite and catering and bartender would be very easily done with that budget. I'm doing an insuite if you want to have a look at my bio for vendors
  • edited December 2011
    Invite less people?  Try Gordon Bierch,  ESPN Zone, Trevi, or Grand Lux.  Inquire only about a passed h'ordeuvres 2 hr cocktail party. The insuite reception would likely be the best option... if you can get passed spending $300-700 for one night on the room alone.   You can get meat/cheese/veggie/dessert trays from costco or another grocery outlet,  buy the alcohol, mix and garishs yourselves and you should come in just under 2K. 
  • edited December 2011
    past* spending
  • edited December 2011
    Yep! In-Suite....you can bring in whatever food and your own drinks! That's my plan...
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • edited December 2011
    Maggiano's lunch is only $25 per person (food only), so from there you have to add in cost of the room deposit and drinks and taxes, etc.  But I think it might fit your budget if you're willing to do lunch.
  • Ray_RayRay_Ray member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Should have said that there are other, less expensive ways of doing an insuite- as others have said, buying your own food and alcohol would save you alot
  • edited December 2011
    Ahhh I didn't realize that some of the hotels would allow you to bring your own food/drinks into the suites...we went to Vegas together and kind of wanted to do our reception in one of the PH suites but when I asked for info they sent me this RIDICULOUSLY overpriced menu, and heavy h'ordeuvres from that menu with an hour-long open bar would have cost us something ridiculous like nearly $4000 with the use of the room :o/I wish we could invite less people...we are planning on inviting 50-60 (and that's only CLOSE, immediate family and VERY close friends) and I know that there will be some family members who won't/can't come (i.e. my grandparents refuse to get on a plane so obviously they won't be there, as they live in CT), which is why I've planned on no less than 50 guests. Personally I'd like to invite about 5 people but he has never been married before and wants what to me is a big wedding :o/
  • edited December 2011
    Def. go for the in-suite reception.....there are some hotels that are more "friendly" with bringing in outside food/dirnk....I wanna say Planet Hollywood and Mandalay Bay. I'm using Masterpiece Cuisine as my caterer for my in-suite and just buying alcohol from one of the liquor stores. Just to give you an idea....we're doing 5 or 6 appetizers for 30 people and it's only about $600. We're only going to buy beer and wine to save some money on alcohol.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, if anyone knows for sure whether PH is more friendly to bringing outside food in, that would be great! I really don't want to do it at Mandalay Bay if we don't have to since we are planning at staying at either PH or the Mirage and I really want the ceremony at the Paris. So if we could do an in-suite thing at PH (preferably) or MAYBE Paris or Mirage that would be best...
  • mayanutmayanut member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The insuite brides can give you more exact details, but all the hotels will TRY to get you to use their catering.  I know Mandalay Bay is outside catering friendly as well as PH.  There is also a distinction between having a caterer come up to the room and set everything up and provide a staff verses just having the caterer deliver the trays to the room/lobby.Check the insuite brides on the Vegas Kottie list.  They will usually say in their bio who did the catering.  Also note, some hotels will say you can't use outside catering, but will turn a blind eye as long as the caterer doesn't send tons of staff up.  But there are a couple that are hard-core about the policy.
  • ahendricks23ahendricks23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know its not for everyone, we are doing ours at Cheesburger Las Vegas, located in Miracle Mile Shops (in Planet Hollywood Hotel) and they are VERY affordable, only $18pp for dinner, for all food, and soft drinks, and your own room. We really liked the casualness of the place and who doesnt like a good burger and fries! Or batistas is very inexpensive.
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think Masterpiece Cuisine is probably the best for in-suite receptions (they actually advertise for them on their website). I just gave Scott our per-person budget ($30), which was way less than I was actually expecting to spend, and he gave me a great menu including beer and wine for exactly that price.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • edited December 2011
    Sounds like you're favoring the In suite option but if you do go the restaurant route, Gordon Biersch is very affordable. We had heavy apps and a beer and wine bar there the night before our wedding and people had a blast. Pics and review in bio.
  • mloeksmloeks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having our insuite reception at Planet Hollywood. We were originally booked at Mandalay Bay, but PH had a room special that saved us quite a bit. We put the extra money towards hiring Masterpiece Cuisine. We are not doing liquor with them, just the hors d'oeuvres (sp?)...We were originally planning on using Jason's Deli, which is a vendor also favored for insuite receptions. There is a list of other caterers in the Vegas FAQ...Both Masterpiece and Jason's said they do not have problems at PH and Mandalay Bay...
  • edited December 2011
    If you decide to do resturant, ESPN Zone has been fantastic to work with (nobody does Customer Service like Diseny!) and they offer very reasonable drink and food options. $30/pp gets you 2 hot appetizers, 1 cold appetizer, 1 hot food dish and 1 dessert. The bar package is $15/pp for 1 hour. Hope this helps and Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going to try posting this question here first and if I don't get any responses I'll put it under it's own post :o)For those of you doing in-suite receptions, did you book your suite through the wedding department or just do it totally separate?We're only planning on staying in Vegas 3 nights total regardless, so if we're going to do an in-suite reception we may just book the suite for the whole three nights...
  • hansenladyhansenlady member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also check our Cheeseburger Las Vegas. They had great packages that were not that expensive and were great to work with.
  • edited December 2011
    We booked through the wedding department directly.  We booked our suite from Friday to Monday.....we got a 20% discount for having our wedding there.  We're flying in earlier in the week so we've booked a regular room Monday - Friday but went through the regular reservation department. We actually looked on smartervegas.com and found a great offer that included free daily buffet, free drinks, % off spa services, etc...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards