Military Brides

Married by JOP but want to have a wedding. What to call it?

Hello all. My husband and I were married in March of 2007 right before he was set to deploy and move to his current duty station in Japan. Because of the short time frame of the movie, we weren't able to have the wedding that we both wanted with family and friends present. We won't be back to the states until 2011 which, I realize, is a long time after the fact to have something called a wedding when we'll have been married for 4 years. I'd like to wear the dress, walk down the aisle, and celebrate with my family and friends, but I just don't think that a "wedding" would be the correct term for it. I'm not sure about "vow renewal" either. I'm open to suggestions. Thank you in advance! :)

Re: Married by JOP but want to have a wedding. What to call it?

• edited December 2011
    I would call it a Renewal of Vows.
  • hegrigsbyhegrigsby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry but wedding isn't the right term for that. It sounds like it would be an elaborate Vow Renewal - which isn't bad. Or you could just have the reception and call it a Celebration of Marriage.
  • rdlclarkrdlclark member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go for the Vow Renewal. I'm incredibly improper and would send STDs that said "Vow Renewal (aka the wedding I never got to have)"  Most of your family will probably understand the military forced your hand and you never got to celebrate.  If you feel that 2011 is way down the road, why not plan something earlier and just fly home for the celebration and bouce back over seas?
  • edited December 2011
    I know what you mean, we will be married for 2 years when we have our big wedding! I am calling it a vow renewal, but on the invitations, it still says my maiden name and what not.. I think it is weird to say Mr, and Mrs with the same last name, but that is just me..
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • sotoyasotoya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much! It looks like a vow renewal ceremony would make the most sense :D
  • edited December 2011
    We're planning our vow renewal for next summer at 8.5 year married mark. Nothing has worked up till now because of hubby’s duties but we (okay mostly me - he’s a guy doesn’t really care lol) are tired of waiting. Everyone knows why we married before and that this is our ‘wedding’ and I am planning it as such with dress, cake, everything we would have done if not JOP so I don‘t mind saying vow renewal. I also think you need to go with your married name unless it is days after JOP … we are doing monogram with large last initial and smaller first initials on sides. Our Save the Dates are just family pic magnet with postcard size note saying we are finally getting to celebrate with family and friends. Our invites “Because you have shared in our lives, by your friendship and love, 'our names', along with our son, 'his name', request the honor of your presence, at our reaffirmation of vows”
  • sotoyasotoya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ksn56 - This is a great idea! Very formal way of wording things :D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards