Moms and Maids

Have a son or daughter

Have a son or daughter getting married? Talk with other moms here!Just wanted to repost this.  I seem to have run off a bride who thought this was a good place to come commiserate with other brides about how crazy their mother or FMIL is. If a bride wants advice from moms I'm cool with that.  But if this turns into a place for brides to just vent about moms and they are hoping to hear from other brides with the same complaints and not solve the problem, well that is not what it says on the description of this board.

Re: Have a son or daughter

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    shellysmom :  I don't mind the brides venting so much because we can often help them see their "complaint" from a mom's perspective, an outsider's view of their concern or, in some cases, give them a major reality check.  =)
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • duckie1905duckie1905 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry but I agree with trix.  This board was very valuable to me when I was engaged as my relationship with my MIL was awful.  The ladies on these boards made me realize that sometimes I was over-reacting and others that DH needed to put his foot down. Besides, these are open boards.
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Sometimes it also gives US a perspective into boundaries we aren't seeing either.  I don't have a problem if a bride comes here and complains about one of the moms.  Maybe we can offer a fresh perspective and pov she hadn't thought of.  I know when I came to the knot I was stunned at how much I learned from these younger (I'm still young,...) women so I really don't have a problem with it at all.  I am much more respectful/careful of boundaries with my own girls now.  I learned a lot from some of the mom complaints.  They were quite legitimate.
  • edited December 2011
    Actually, I don't have a problem with anyone who wants to learn or is open to a reality check.  But if the brides think they are ONLY going to find other brides to vent with they have been warned.
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    You really can post on any board you choose here.  I think that the ladies ventng about mom or MIL may get some good suggestions from everyone here.Board descriptions aren't really accurate.  Check Wedding Woes or Planning & Etiquette.  It's a place to chat, that's all.  Some is wedding related, some is just continuing on with other ladies you met while wedding planning.There is also a Not Engaged Yet board that has little or nothing to do with future engagements most of the time.The local and club boards are more specific.
  • edited December 2011
    I see both sides here. I know I've seen some brides post responses to moms' posts, and in all honesty, some of those responses made me want to come through the computer and slap them. It can make it harder sometimes to post honestly if you think (god forbid) your bride might read it. Then again, a bride having issues with her mom is better off venting it out to us instead of blowing up at her mom. She's getting another mom's viewpoint and it might help her see it from the other side. I don't know if yours did this, but when mine was a teen (ick) she would shriek to my sister about how rotten I was. My sister would them tell her the SAME thing I was saying....but somehow it was acceptable from her. I think we might be going by the same theory here. Totally agree that if they want advice or a mom's opinion--great, we're here for you. If you want to talk to other brides about how evil we all are, go away. I could get that from my own kid, thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards