South Asian Weddings

My frankenstein lehenga choli!

So the lehenga I ordered from NJ arrived early last week. I tried on the blouse and knew it looked weird and unwearable as is to me, but had no idea of exactly how mesed up it was until I took it to two seamstresses yesterday. They both said they'd have to take out all of the seams and try and fit a new pattern over the material that's there and that it's at least a $200 fix. And even when they fix it, the neckline's pretty high on what I got (not what I asked for), so I don't know that it will ever turn out the way I want. The lehenga was a month late, too, and we're now three weeks away, so there's no way to get material to make a new proper top. Basically, it looks like there was no "custom made" top despite all of the measurement-taking, and whatever alterations that were done to whatever they had readymade at the shop in India were done VERY badly. The top has two darts in the vicinity of the breast, one of which nobody's ever seen in any top before and which seems to serve no purpose other than to make the blouse look horrible. It's 3 inches too big in the back and 3 inches too big in the waist. The darts coming up through the waist go all the way up my entire boob. It's a mess! I'm not looking forward to arguing with the shop over it, either. The sad thing is that I really loved this outfit. It's the one I picked out, even before I picked out my white wedding dress. I'd planned all of my colors around this lehenga, and the only other thing I have is a sari from FI's sister that's okay, but doesn't blend well with the other wedding colors at all. Plus I do not want to wear a sari for dancing, but I know that FI's dad is dying to see me in something Indian for part of the reception. Arghhhhhhh!

Re: My frankenstein lehenga choli!

• edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry!! That is really frustrating.The same thing happened with my lehenga- was not custom made (ready made), too big in areas and so small in others, unwearable blouse, and looked nothing like what I ordered. I feel your pain. :sI hope you can get everything sorted out and find something. Could you send a pictures of exactly what you want to relatives in India, and have them look for something comparable for you and fed-ex it over?  It's just a thought.
  • edited December 2011
    hows your budget looking? could it spare the expense of getting it fixed? i got my reception outfit from india myself and they f'ed it up, and by the time i picked it up i didnt have time to wait for them to fix it. i really loved that outfit too so forked over about $150 when I got back to the states to have a non -SA seamstress fix it. In the end, it wasnt what i originally pictured in my head but it didnt matter - i LOVED it. i didnt have a plan B though which it sounds like you have. i know we all plan so much around colors but whats more important than how the sari blends in is how you feel in it. you should feel comfortable, beautiful, all around fabulous. if you dont want to dance in a sari, then you wont look comfortable, which means you wont look comfortable and you wont be your most fabulous self! look for a plan C if you cant buy into the idea of the sari, or if you have the room in the budget...maybe taking it to a good seamstress and investing a couple more hundred might be worth it. GL!! it will ALL work out in the end!
  • edited December 2011
    I could afford the alterations, I'm just so mad at having to have them made and having to pay so much $ - the work on the blouse is just that bad. I called the shop yesterday and they're saying to ship it to them in NJ so they can look at it and get it fixed, but I'm really reluctant to do that because the wedding's so soon and because their folks messed it up so badly to begin with. Argh - what to do?
  • edited December 2011
    if i were you i wouldnt ship that dress away, being so close to the wedding. plus at this point, you need to be with that dress in person so it can be fitted properly to your taste and to your size.
  • edited December 2011
    I am so sorry you have to deal with this. I also agree with shilps-I would not send it back tot hem. 1-you are not there to get it fitted, 2-it is too close to the wedding. I know the sari wasn't your first choice, but have you thought about getting the sari sewed to a ready made sari? I am actually hooked on this now-they are so easy to put on, and dance in. It is basically a wrap skirt. Just a thought.
    ExerciseMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    I'm thinking about just staying in the white dress all night, but it's huge and I was really hoping to change into a regular bra and be able to dance easier, plus I love the color of my lehenga. The sari's really pretty as far as saris go, it's just not what I was envisioning wearing for dancing. Plus I'm terrified now to even get my sari blouse stitched. (Though I know I have to do it.) I'm thinking that if the tops are not custom made in NJ, maybe getting them to send me a top that's just too big might be easier. It's apparently not a big alteration to get them taken in, it's just all the other nonsense that happened to mine that makes it so hard.
  • edited December 2011
    So sorry to hear you're going through this so close to your wedding date!  What shop did this to you?  I think you should totally name and shame.  It's ridiculous how some SA shops continue to provide shoddy service like this!
  • edited December 2011
    I got it from Om the Origin. I'd heard good things about them, so I'm surprised. They've been nice enough, but this blouse is definitely a disaster, which when combined with the late arrival makes things really difficult.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, that shop consistently gets raves on here!  That stinks that you are the exception to the rule.  So sorry you are dealing with this so close to the wedding, sister :(
  • Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry that happened!  I definitely agree with the other girls about not sending it back to NJ and going with someone reputable in your area that can fix it!  That's also a good idea about asking if they can send you a new top that you can get altered down to your size.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh my-I am really surprised about that. I got my lengha from there based on the raves I read from here. I just got it Friday evening-I was planning on sending it back for some minor alterations-but now I am re-thinking it and just getting it done by a local non SA seamstress.
    ExerciseMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    Masti - you may want to still send it back to them. They didn't alter it, I don't think. I think what I got was exactly what they got from India. I never sent it back to NJ for alterations. I have no clue about their NJ-based tailors. They may be very good.
  • SmithaandMikeSmithaandMike member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     Sistergh - where do you live? Do you know any Indian taylors in the area? Or maybe you can go to an Indian store in the ares and ask if they have a taylor they use. I got two ready made tops for two different lehengs's. I just went to the taylor this weekend and he has to take in both and is charging a little much because of all the hand work on them. He has to open them both up but that is so it will look better and more seamless than just a simple alteration. Sounds like your situation is more complicated but I don't think an Indian taylor may understand the desgin more than an American taylor.   Good luck
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear that. I was thinking about ordering mine from a store in NY since the one in Cambridge has very few options. The name of the boutique is Shennai. they have beuatiful things. But this is not the first time I read what it is ordered online turns out bad..... I'm so scared to order anything online now. If I had 6 months I would probbably risk it, but not at the last minute. I really hope you can have this issue resolved and you can wear your Indian outfit for the reception. I'll cross my fingers for you!
    DS was born in April 2012 at 31 weeks - 45 days in NICU ?If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?? M.B.
  • edited December 2011
    I feel your pain sistergh! My lehnga from India was completely screwed up and I had my aunt and my mom work on it for weeks and they finally made it wearable. I actually went looking for a new outfit many times because I thought it was hopeless. And I had the same color issue that you are having -- I picked it because it was perfect for my wedding colors. I think you should try to get it fixed -- maybe get a quote from a different seamstress? If you can find a SA one or even if you have any SA friends, find out if their moms sew because those aunties can do wonders. The other option is getting a new sari and getting the blouse sewn somewhere nearby and going with the pre-stitched pleats plan. Keep us posted on your progress... I really hope it works out! I was stressed out for weeks over my lehnga.
  • edited December 2011
    I went today to see about getting my sari blouse stitched and they recommended a gujrati tailor who's local. I went to see him and he seemed to get what the problems were. I'm supposed to go back on Sunday for a fitting. He said it should cost about $20. Fingers crossed!
  • erin&andyerin&andy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good luck and keep us posted!
  • katie978katie978 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh that's great, sister!!  fingers definitely crossed!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards