Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Bro's grad/wedding conflict

So, we just figured out that my brother's HS graduation (who is also a groomsman) ceremony is going to be held on our wedding day (ironically at the exact same time as our ceremony)It's a little late to change the date at this point (everything but the caterer is booked), but I'm frustrated because we picked the date thinking his graduation would be 1 or 2 weeks beforehand (curse you LISD and your stupid schedule changes every dang year)I feel really bad. To be honest, I could have cared less about my grad ceremony, but this brother (I have 2) always seems to have stuff like this happen to him. I know he wont complain, but I'm totally stealing his thunder. Not to mention, having a grad party is going to be pretty hard.The whole family attended my graduation ceremony 4 years ago, and my mom threw me a killer party...Did anyone else have a similar situation? What did you do?
Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!

Re: Bro's grad/wedding conflict

• edited December 2011
    That stinks, I'm sorry Marissa. I didn't have any similar situations but I just wanted to say sorry.
  • edited December 2011
    That really sucks...I really don't know what to say.  I think you should just talk to your brother and find out how he truly feels about all of thie.
  • edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    Nothing close but my college graduation was the same night my cousin got married so I sent my grandparents off to his wedding.If you aren't having a rehearsal dinner maybe throw a big grad party?  I know someone who got married on their moms birthday and they surprised her with a cake with candles and they all sang happy birthday to her. 
  • DonnaariesDonnaaries member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh Marissa, that really stinks.  I'd talk to your brother and see how he feels, presenting the fact that changing the date won't really work...  that really stinks. Most of your deposits are transferrable, although the likeliness of all your vendors being available the following weekend or two is probably very small.
    D&M Bio
    Now with vendor reviews!
    Donna Cooks: My Food Blog
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Total bummer! I would make some mention of it at your reception. You make it funny, maybe hen he is introduced have him wear is grad cap. Our flower girl is one of 3 (triplets) and we sang than Happy Birthday at our reception bc it was their 5th birthday.
  • juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That bites!!!!  I kind of like the idea of having a grad party the night before the wedding.  You could always do your RD on Thursday or even at lunch.
  • edited December 2011
    Unfortunately, our church requires the rehearsal dinner to be at 7pm the night before. I do like the idea of making the rehearsal dinner into a grad party, but the rehearsal dinner is only immediate family and bridal party (long story--80% of our 250 guests are oot)We are having a brunch the day after though--we were planning on celebrating my grandparent's 50th anniversary then, so I guess we could add my brother on pretty easily.I've talked to him--he isn't really upset and understands, but I just feel bad. I'm the oldest child, so everything is always a big deal for me because I'm usually first, and when there are 5 kids, it tends to get less exciting down the line...I just hate that I'm stealing his day. Especially since Jay and I graduate from college a month before, and the family is coming up for that.I wish we could throw a real grad party for him! He really is the sweetest kid ever and a great brother.And the kicker is...we originally scheduled the wedding for June 19th 2 years ago, but moved the date up a week because it looked like his graduation would be way before and it looked like I might have trouble starting a job.Dang it!
  • edited December 2011
    church requires the rehearsal* (not the dinner :)  )
    edited December 2011
    Why not do a Rehearsal Lunch then instead?  Have a party for your bro after the rehearsal itself.
  • edited December 2011
    Not a bad idea...
  • callie_knotcallie_knot member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is crazy that the graduation is that far into June. I'm so sorry this has happened to you guys. I know what it's like to be the last one. And it's true things get less exciting down the line and you kind of feel forgotten. Maybe you could throw a graduation party for him the week before? since they will be surely out of school by then and to be honest I enjoyed my grad part a lot more than the ceremony itself.
    edited December 2011
    That's later than ours but our students are graduating on a Sunday.  Again.
  • edited December 2011
    Sometimes I wonder if the devil himself is the superintendent (there's more to that story, though)I'm just going to have to be a really awesome sister for a really long time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards