Wedding Woes
Options

Need to Vent!!! about my dad. (its long!)

I need to vent somewhere because I a just upset and hurt by everything that my dad has been doing, or should I say not been doing. Just a small background, my parents have been divorced since I was 6, and my mom raised me. My dad was around, however I only saw him birthdays and holidays mostly. We have not really been close my entire life. So, I went invitation shopping this weekend, and just became overwhelmed with emotions of how uninvolved my dad is. I understand that this event may not necessarily be a dad thing, but I just want him to seen like he cares. He loves my fiance, and at times I think he enos me coming over just so he can see him. My mom is paying for the entire reception, and my FI parents are picking up many other things for our wedding, to make sure that we can have the wedding of our dreams without going into debt for it. My dad is not contributing anything to us, I am not asking him to pay for the entire thing but at least act like this day matters for him. The money is not the issue. I am his only daughter (he has two sons), I thought that this day would be important to him. I am just hurt by this whole thing, that I got upset in the store! I just want him to care. The reason I was particularly upset when invitation shopping, was how to word it. I would love to write both my parents names on the top of the invitation, however why should he be recognized when he doesnt seem like he cares? I talked to my mom about it, but she said whatever I want to do she will back me up with it. I just do not know what to do. Should I put his name on the top of the invitation requesting the honour of the presence of the guests, when he has contributed anything to us? Ugh...!
176imageInvited; 118imageYes!; 58imagehave other plans;

Re: Need to Vent!!! about my dad. (its long!)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It doesn't sound like there's a reason to put his name on there at all. Usually the name up there is the person that's paying for the wedding, and he's not.
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    Your mother sounds like she is being almost impossibly gracious.I wouldn't put his name on the invitation.  It's not just that he isn't contributing $, but it doesn't sound like he's very interested in even being considered a host from what you're posting.It does suck when you have a parent who doesn't care.  But you have a mother who really does and it sounds like some great ILs backing you up too.  Hold onto that and don't let deadbeat dad play with your emotions.
  • Options
    LnR70707LnR70707 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It sounds like you are a little bitter because Daddy's not paying....If you would truly love to have both their names on there, then do that.  Not many people stick with the traditional concept of only including the names of those paying nowadays.
    br>imageimage
    IF/Baby Blog
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It seems like he is acting the same way he's acted your entire life. I'm sure you thought that he would step up for your wedding, but it doesn't sound like he will. Try to focus on your new marriage, and not feeling pressure to give him the FOB perks if he doesn't deserve them. Have you had a heart-to-heart about your relationship with him or lack of relationship? I would start there.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Don't put him on the invite, and stop expecting him to be a part of your life. I'm in the same boat, except that they got divorced when I was 6 months old. He only saw me at his convenience, or when he felt enough guilt. He never contributed emotionally or financially to my life. I love him enough, he's not a shtty person, just not a very good father. If he doesn't understand why he's not on the invite, he's a moron, frankly. Remember: You're an adult. You don't NEED your father any more. The best thing you can do for yourself, your FI, everybody involved is to continue the relationship you've always had with him and remember that just because this is a big day for you doesn't make it a big day for him, and that's not an insult. It's just the way it is. Be happy you have a mother who is involved.
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you been to counseling to deal with your relationship with your father?  I'm really not being snarky here.  Talking to someone may help you gain some perspective and be at peace.
  • Options
    akardasakardas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I appreciate everyones advice. I guess I had already concluded what most people have said, I just am more concerned about hurting his feelings than looking at the people who are supportive. My mom and my FIL are fabulous and I am lucky to have them. I have just been doing some googling on wedding invites and I have found some other possibilities, even if I think I will still honor that my mom is the one giving me away and her name should be on it. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise to him. As my fiance says, you need to worry about what you want, because this may be something that you do for yourself and no worry about everyone else. (I am lucky I am marrying someone who is also supportive, :). Thank you everyone...off to look at some hotels for blocking rooms off! Happy planning everyone!
    176imageInvited; 118imageYes!; 58imagehave other plans;
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards