Connecticut
Options

Thank You Wording - Lost Check

Hi ladies,I am now tackling writing the thank yous for our wedding gifts and was wondering if anyone has a suggestion on wording for a lost check.Yes, my Aunt & Uncle gave us a check as a gift and I lost it. What do I do? What should I say? We are not very close so I don't feel comfortable calling or just stating that I lost it.Any suggestions on a nice way I should tell them I lost their gift? YIKES!

Re: Thank You Wording - Lost Check

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yikes!  Um... maybe ask you mom or dad (which ever is related to the aunt/uncle) how to handle the situation.  Cause it's not like you can say "thanks for the generous gift" cause at some point they'll see the check still hasn't cleared and ask you about it.  Sorry that's the best advice I've got. But i'd tell them soon just in case the check ended up in the wrong persons hands.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm.  IDK ... maybe try the P&E board for more suggestions!
    Married since 7/25/2009
    BFP #1 9/25/2011 | EDD 6/1/2012 | M/C 10/26/2011 at 8w6d
    BFP #2 3/13/2012 | EDD 11/23/2012
    9DPO hcg: 45; Prog: 41 | 14DPO hcg: 694 | 17DPO hcg: 2733 | 28DPO hcg: 53,006
    First u/s 4/13 showed a beating heart! Second u/s 5/2 showed a HB of 163! Let's GROW, baby!
    He's here! Kellen born 11/16/12 - 8 lbs 8 oz 22 inches long via scheduled c-section (breech baby, gestational diabetes mama)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am in a similiarly ackward situation... my childhood doc and his wife bought an espresso machine from our registry 2 weeks before thew edding. I assumed as most gifts were, it would be shipped. On Saturday I called and they said it was purchased in store. So either they forgot to bring it to the wedding, aren't bringing it period, or mailed it and it got lost? Either way we don't even have a card. What do I write? Thank you for celebrating in our wedding with us. how do you know you lost it? if you don't feel pc calling or having a parent call I would just thank them for joining your celebration, etc. Maybe eventually THEY will pick up on the fact that you did not cash the check and call you? I am still nervous that a few gifts were "lost".... or maybe we just had some rude guests that didn't even bring a card :(
  • Options
    starrbuk13starrbuk13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i was wondering the same thing!  a friend of mine made a point to tell me at my reception that my gift was "in the mail" and we still haven't gotten it (over 2 weeks later).  she definitely didn't buy off a registry...and she actually IS rude so i'm thinking we aren't getting one lol.  i don't want to ask her about it, but at the same time, if she sent something she should know that we didn't get it!i agree that parents might be a good step to go through.  maybe whichever parent is your aunt/uncle's sibling can mention it in casual conversation?  they do need to know though, b/c as someone said....you don't want anyone else cashing the check, and it will screw up their checking balance if they don't know....on another note...general question....does the brial party normally give gifts??  all but 1 groomsmen and 1 bridesmaid (each of whom brough a guest) gave us gifts....but not even a card from these 2.  is that normal?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had some interesting situations with our gifts too.  I guess maybe the 2 hours between the ceremony & reception was too much time for some people so by the time they showed up to our reception they were already drunk!   About 5 or 6 different guests "forgot" to bring us cards!  We didn't say anything to them but most remembered. Keep in mind, technically guests have 1 year to give a wedding gift.
    Married since 7/25/2009
    BFP #1 9/25/2011 | EDD 6/1/2012 | M/C 10/26/2011 at 8w6d
    BFP #2 3/13/2012 | EDD 11/23/2012
    9DPO hcg: 45; Prog: 41 | 14DPO hcg: 694 | 17DPO hcg: 2733 | 28DPO hcg: 53,006
    First u/s 4/13 showed a beating heart! Second u/s 5/2 showed a HB of 163! Let's GROW, baby!
    He's here! Kellen born 11/16/12 - 8 lbs 8 oz 22 inches long via scheduled c-section (breech baby, gestational diabetes mama)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    bridal party are a whole nother breed....we actually have an agreement amongst our group not to give a "big" gift, because it seemed silly for us to write a check to one friend two years ago, another friend last year, all so they could write us a check for the same amount this year- we just called it a wash. erika- i think the answer to your question would be to have parents call- if i had given a check that had been lost, i would want to know so i could put a stop on it, dont want the wrong person getting it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Can you e-mail your aunt & uncle?  I wouldn't have your parents do it.  Just let them know that you misplaced the check. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would contact your aunt and uncle in some way to let them know. They will be expecting that check to be cashed and for the amount of money to be taken from their account, so they should be notified that it's been misplaced. Then, they can cancel it and will most likely write you a new one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards