Wedding Woes

I weep for this Generation moment #1.

I was meeting with a parent about their kid and his high level of disrespect towards his teacher. I was giving an example about when I see him in the hall and how I always say good morning, but he never responds back.

Dad: "I never told my kids they had to say good morning."
Me: * speechless*
Dad: "If they don't want to say it, then they don't have to."
Me: "You do realize that it comes off as being disrespectful when I look him in the eye with a smile and say, "Good Morning, and he ignores me."
Dad: I'll talk to him about it."
Me: "Learning social skills are important, right." "I don't want him passed up for a promotion because he doesn't have basic social skills to interact with people."

Y'all, I can't blame these children.

Re: I weep for this Generation moment #1.

• Dad: "I never told my kids they had to say good morning."

Dad: "If they don't want to say it, then they don't have to."

What in the farking fark?
  • Now, you feel my pain. Really?

This is why some of these kids act like wolves, yo.
  • Woooooooowwwwww! You really can't blame the kids. 
  • Holy crap.  DD and I have been working on this since she started school at 2, and now she (and everyone in her class) does it when they arrive.  "Good morning Miss Ashley" "Good morning Samantha."  Like, WTF?
  • sadly, my 2 yo has better social skills than that kid. 

every day " hi _____, how are you? you good?"
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2013
    Ha!  I used the removal of "good morning" quite effectively on Diva Boss.  He would just scowl at me and not say anything or just pretend to not notice.  So, I stopped saying it to him.  I'd even say it to people around him and not to him.  If you're not going to be polite back, I'm not going to put it out there.

He now falls all over himself to make sure to say good morning and/or hello to me if he see me.  I enjoy it.  And he still has to say it first.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_i-weep-for-this-generation-moment-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:d1029889-5e09-4532-82e2-488b2efa1b5ePost:c0949902-cb1b-41fa-93c2-e427ff4f61b3">Re: I weep for this Generation moment #1.</a>:
    [QUOTE]sadly, my 2 yo has better social skills than that kid.  every day " hi _____, how are you? you good?"
    Posted by *Barbie*[/QUOTE]

<div>no doubt.  Buffy said exactly that to the fish this morning.  (they were good except the dead one.  He was not good.  shhh, I snuck him out of the tank when she wasn't looking)</div><div>
    </div><div>And people look at me funny when I remind her "Say "x" when people talk to you"</div><div>
    </div><div>Nola, your kids need this book:</div><div><a href="http://www.amazon.com/What-Do-You-Say-Dear/dp/0064431126" rel="nofollow">http://www.amazon.com/What-Do-You-Say-Dear/dp/0064431126</a></div><div>
    </div><div>We've been using it extensively at our house :)</div><div>
    </div>
  • WzzWzz member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

wtf. that will go over nicely when the kid is trying to get a job ANYWHERE and he scowls at the person in the interview because he is told he doesn't have to talk if he doesn't want to.

way to go, parent. set your kids up to fail now so they don't have a chance later!

i always thought greetings, please, thank you, excuse me were all non-negotiables.

• Oh NOLA, I hate hearing things like this.  This means my father is right. 

I won't be telling him this.
  • I'm currently teaching my two year old that she has to look adults in the eyes when they are speaking. It doesn't always happen (heck, she's two) but start teaching manners and respect early on and it becomes a habit for life...

... says the southern girl who says "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am" to everyone (except sirs.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards