African American Weddings

honest opinions needed!

Ok Ladies I need you to respond and talk some sense to me or agree with me...I emailed my former DJ and told him basically that I am going to file a small claims suit for $150 of the $375 that I paid him. He finally responded and basically denies that I deserve a refund because he brought the lights and fog machine but the power supply wasn't good enough and he doesn't turn on the lights in the day. My take on that is he saw the venue before we signed a contract and knew that they had an old lighting system and should have told me that it wouldn't work. Also, he knew that he wasn't going to turn the lights on because my wedding was in the day-so why didn't he tell me that? I would not have paid so much for him to play for only 3 1/2 hours, play sucky music, and no special effects. I want to take it to small claims court but...DH says to let it go. He said that I can't relive the reception (even though I'm desperately unhappy with how it turned out) and suing the DJ is not going to make things better. He also doesn't think it's only the DJ's fault that the reception tanked. WWYD?

Re: honest opinions needed!

• oburrelloburrell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    EWWWWWWW-you can see my HORRIBLE DJ in the background of my siggy pic!
  • edited December 2011
    If you do let it go, let it go because you don't know the outcome of the court hearing. These things can be funny. If you lose, you'll be out of the DJ money AND the court costs. I do agree that he should've informed you of the lighting conditions. He sucks!
  • Lady RedrumLady Redrum member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a believer in pursuing something just based on principle. Now, I am not a lawyer or a judge but my opinion is that your contract spelled out that he was to use the fog machine AND the lights. He did not do that. Let him prove to the judge that the electrical system was old and let him SHOW the judge where in your contract it states that the lights will only be used if it is dark. I would imagine that the contract doesn't state that and that the judge will look at the contract and rule on the services that he did not provide.
  • edited December 2011
    I understand how you feel on principal. But I don't want you spending more money just to get back $150. I personally would just let it go, of course that's JMHO.
  • edited December 2011
    I say go for it, it was in the contract that the effects were to be used and as you mentioned "he saw the venue ahead of time" and knew what he was working with.It is principal and for him as a vendor to not try to rectify the problem, knowing his reputation is on the line..thats a nono.  He may not even show and the jdgement may be in your favor.  Take this from someone who sued a club in NY, I sure as hell received a check..of course they didnt show up to court, but I still got what was owed to meIf anything you would be out of what 15 bucks to file at small claims...
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with your FI, dst10 & cat on this one - just let it go...I understand what you are saying and totally understand that homeboy didn't come through as stated in your contract but to me it seems as though you may come out of your pocket spending more just to get that $150 from him...what I would do is blast his a$$ on the local board and any other community board I could find to make sure everyone knew what he did and to stay far away from his serves, JMHO.
  • edited December 2011
    correction -- I agree with your DH (he's no longer your FI)...
  • oburrelloburrell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I'm going to let it go. I don't want to and it's the principle behind it however DH said that he will not testify for me because he agrees with the DJ! Can you imagine how that makes me feel? I am going to tell the former DJ that I will not pursue it in court because he is  not worth having to take a day off of court for but I am going to report his to BBB, the ripoff report and will advise against him online at every wedding website I can find. And I have a lot of time on my hands when I want to so my presence will be felt. It still sucks though...I don't want him to think he won!
  • edited December 2011
    He didnt win girl. We know that The Knot is a poweful tool we use. If he's put on blast in all the right places, you will have hit his pockets. And IMHO thats where it hurts the most. Just be truthful about your vendor reviews and brides to be won't touch him with a 10 foot pole. You know we'll run at the first sign of trouble when it comes to our wedding! Rest easy honey. He'll get his.
  • missevansmissevans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would post this right on the Atlanta board and make sure that all of the girls down here knew he was a mess.
  • edited December 2011
    was there something in the contract saying that it was an additional cost for lighting/fog? I understand if the power source was bad (that's very feasible) but then I'd think he shouldn't charge you for it. At the same time, if that really is something beyond his control, I'm not so sure he's on the hook for it. Sounds like you were unhappy with him anyway, though. Too bad you can't get your money back for having bad music.
  • edited December 2011
    Question....did you tell the reception site all the items the DJ was bringing? I see why you would want to sue, but going on the info you provided, it's not the DJ's fault that things did not work, the reception site is responsible for having an up-to-date electrical and power supply. Now, if he was the preferred DJ with that site and knew what he was working with and failed to deliver, you may have a complaint. Also, did you include in your contract with the DJ what he was responsible for and what was your recourse if he did not deliver; somewhere in most contracts there is a no-fault clause. Without an iron-clad contract, you may get something, but the money you will have to put out will be far greater.The best you could do, is word of mouth if you were that dissatisfied. News travels fast, and bad news travels even faster. When the DJ does not get as many bookings as he may have, he'll feel it.....money talks, or the lack thereof.
  • bridecharismabridecharisma member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Even if you aren't going to pursue court, file it with the Better Business Bureau
  • edited December 2011
    As with ppr's I would let the situation go. Yes it is sucky as hell that you paid your money and he did a very crappy job. Also knowing what your venue was like and also knowing your wedding was in the daytime why would he even include lights and fog? That made no sense to me and I would have questioned him off top about that. But girl let it go. You can hurt him business-wise by going thru the BBB and also doing reviews online about his business will kind of hurt him too. People looking for a vendor does not want to see that this particular person of interest does not uphold to contracts or is not thorough when doing business. HTH.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Charisma, Alf, and Cat took the thoughts out of my head... Let it go... But report him to the BBB, blast him on the Knot Boards, make sure your wedding planner, caterer, venue, florist, etc. know how terrible his service is... Honestly, whether you go Atlanta or DC or Phoenix the wedding vendors pretty much know one another or have at least heard of each other. Word of mouth is the best advertising, but it can also hit hard if a business owner's services suck.Feel better, hon <3
  • edited December 2011
    I am pretty sneaky...so I would let it go but still have him thinking that I am taking him to small claims court...Just tell him that your filing the paperwork and never do it...Hell, it might prompt that fool to give you some money back...GL
    Expecting our 16 year Dating Anniversary baby on 11/11/11! BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards