African American Weddings

Bridesmaid Dresses

Hello All...I am new to this but I have a question and need some opinions from other brides.  I have 11 bridesmaids so as you can imagine its so many different personalities and styles.  Im am debating on allowing my bridesmaids to pick a style that they like in our colors or should I pick one dress and say this is it?!? Has anyone else had this dilemma?

Re: Bridesmaid Dresses

• Panda16Panda16 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't really have that dilemma but I think you should have one uniform style considering it's such a huge BP. The way I'm envisioning it, if you ask all the girls to pick their own style, even in your colors, you're gonna get an interesting mix of styles (not in a good way). If it were less girls, I think the different styles would work better.You could have your MOH wear a different style and leave it at that.But that's just my opinion.
  • edited December 2011
    Granted I only have 5 attendants, but they are all wearing gowns that suit their body style in the color scheme of our wedding. One dress will never fit every body shape in your party unless they are all size 4, 6, 8. Let their individuality show. If you did not trust them nor their taste would you have asked them to be in your wedding?
  • edited December 2011
    I would let them choose the style to fit there body type; however, I would limit it to the same color just so it doesn't look too busy with different styles and different colors.Cicy
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Cicy. Allow them to choose their own dresses just make sure they are by the same designer and the color is the same. I picked 3 dresses from the same designer and let my girl choose a dress that way> Good luck ;)
  • Crook251Crook251 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I kinda agree with panda16. To me too many styles can look a bit busy. If you just had to go with different styles I would stick with two pre selected choices(no more than three), hopefully these choices would be something kinda generic that will be fit for everyone. Good Luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker Married: December 19, 2009
  • ladylumladylum member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Different styles with the same color AND THE SAME FABRIC would unify all your bridesmaids. It's hard to find a good dress for 4 different shaped bridesmaids, I can't imagine what it would be like for 11! You might want to let them know some style preferences though (long vs short, simple vs ornate, etc.). This way they can have different styles but have some symmetry.
  • edited December 2011
    with that many, i think you should stick to one style. im of the opinion of the too busy look. even in 1 color it could look a bit interesting if there's 11 different styles, lenghts, necklines, etc... try googling to see if you can find some pics of larger BP in different styles. seeing it may help you decide which way you should go for the look you like.
  • edited December 2011
    I am having four girls so l let them pick out their dress it is the same color, fabric , and length. However with that many girls i do not think it will look right.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for your opinions....it helped me make a decison.  I think that I am going to stick with one dress that looks good on everybody.  I really dont want it to look too busy!!! I love my family and friends but they sure are picky! 11 bridesmaids and 3 flower girls can add to the stress of wedding planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards