Illinois-Chicago

Outdoor ceremonies in the northern burbs

We'd love to get married at the beach, but after calling every park district from Evanston to Highland Park, it's starting to seem impossible. Do any of you know a way to do it? We'd need seating for at least 125 people. Or, does anyone have any suggestions on other outdoor areas to hold a ceremony on the North Shore? I'd really like a place that feels wrapped in greenery and flowers, kind of endless and organic... not a place where you can see the parking lot and the neighboring buildings from the ground (I loved the Winnetka Community House until I saw the parking lot from the patio). The Grove isn't quite big enough for us. I'm looking at some golf clubs for the reception because I like how their ballrooms are wrapped in glass and give you a sense of being outside. One of them offers on-site ceremonies, but, while the grounds are certainly attractive, they have the overly manicured golf course look that I think I want to avoid for our ceremony. I'd also prefer to have the ceremony and reception at different locations to build in some time for photos. I'm not sure, though, if the ceremony site I'm looking for even exists! Thanks for any advice!

Re: Outdoor ceremonies in the northern burbs

• chosen175chosen175 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cantigny is beautiful and they have an outdoor space for ceremonies.  Not sure of their capacity, though.
  • edited December 2011
    One other detail... We're trying to keep everything within 20 minutes of Wilmette. I think that's what's presenting the greatest challenge.
  • edited December 2011
    Cantigny looks great! If only it were a little closer...
  • chosen175chosen175 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you tried the Glen Club in Glenview?  The Wyndham in Glenview also does ceremonies in their atrium, which kind of has a garden feel - the only bad thing is that you will be in the middle of the first floor where everyone can look down on you.  The Botanic Gardens in Glencoe would also be beautiful but I'm not sure of the distance.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Have a look at Independence Grove in Libertyville -- the outdoor ceremony location is very rustic and surrounded by greenery.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with the Botanic Gardens, The Glen Club, and Independence Grove (although Independence Grove may be a hike from Wilmette).  I'm not sure how close you need to be to Wilmette, but you could try Cuneo Mansion in Vernon Hills, the Armour House in Lake Forest, and Deer Path Inn in Lake Forest.
  • Ankea97Ankea97 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had our ceremony at Independence Grove and LOVED it. I still have people years later tell me it was one of the most beautiful outdoor settings they have ever been to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards