Connecticut

Lani Lee Couture - Recs?

Hey girls. Has anyone ever used Lani Lee Couture for dress alterations in Newtown? I'm trying to steer clear of David's Bridal, and this place is so close to my house. Any info would be helpful.Thanks!

Re: Lani Lee Couture - Recs?

• edited December 2011
    i have not but let me know if they are good. I really need a seamstress for a wedding I"m in in October anywhere around New haven or fairfield county!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She did my dress alterations and she was awesome!The only thing that I wish I insisted was how she did the bustle. Everything she did though was fabulous and my gown was perfect.
  • edited December 2011
    I dont know that alterations person. The only thing I can say is Yes to staying far away from letting Davids Bridal do your alterations. They altered a friends dress and messed it up really bad. So just dont use them.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm curious... Is Lani Lee Couture a dress shop or do they just do alterations?  I live near Newtown and am also going to be needing alterations.  I know some places are really b*!chy about people coming in with dresses purchased elsewhere just for alterations.  Banana, can you explain a little more about your bustle?  Did they do it wrong or just do a different bustle than you had envisioned?  What was the pricing like?
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    According to my research, it is a woman who does alterations from her home.
    edited December 2011
    Lani runs the business out of her home.  She's just off Rt 25 in Newtown from what I can remember.The issue with my bustle was that the dress had a very clean line in the silk.  There was no embellishment, and no detail whatsoever.  It was also just a chapel-length train.When the alterations were almost done, I asked her how she was going to do the bustle and she felt strongly about not interfering with the overall integrity of the dress by adding any details or buttons to it.  Ultimately, because it was fairly thin material (so thin in fact that I saw the blue butterflies from my underpants through it!!), the bustle was just pinned and a beautiful brooch was placed in the middle.  It looked fantastic in the end.What she did with the rest of the dress was awesome.  The lace top of my gown was completely re-constructed to fit me like a glove. 
  • edited December 2011
    Well I took the plunge and made an appointment with her for Friday, so I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes!!Thanks so much! :)
  • edited December 2011
    What is her pricing like?  I've talked to several tailors and  they all seem to price differently... some by the hour, some by the item.  Does she charge a fee for each time you go in for a fitting?
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, it wasn't something that I ever asked.  She did a lot of work and it wound up costing a few hundred dollars but I think it was well worth it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards