Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Heinz Chapel Brides

This being September 1st made me think of the insanity we experienced last October 1st trying to get through the phone links and secure a coveted spot at the Chapel!But - that's not what this post is about.  This about the parking for the wedding.The Pittsburgh Police Department got back to me about parking at the Chapel for my daughter's wedding next month. He was super nice.The cost is $100.00 - and it's for 43 spots on Bellefield Avenue.  A police officer will be there an hour before the ceremony and an hour afterwards.  He will make sure that the wedding guests get a parking spot.  Buses and trolleys can park out in front of the chapel.I thought this might help some of you with your planning. I know I always want to know what something is going to cost.

Re: Heinz Chapel Brides

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info. I called a few months ago because I was wondering about the cost and no one ever got back to me. It is on my to-do list for this week. I think $100 is a lot of money for that :(

Vacation

• Options
    themissizzthemissizz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $100 is CHEAP!  You're paying for free parking for your guests in Oakland on a Saturday.  I lived in Oakland and know how inconvenient parking can be there.  IMO they could charge a lot more and people would still pay it.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah but I'm not having that many cars (people carpooling/walking/taking hotel shuttle) so for what, an hour and half, that seems like a lot of money. At this point I don't have $100.

Vacation

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It seems cheap to me, too. I went to a wedding at HC last October. We all parked at Soldiers and Sailors (where the reception was) and walked to HC and back. It was $5 per vehicle for parking there, which the bride and groom paid for. 
  • Options
    McBridetobeMcBridetobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So Karen do you have to do this?  If you don't have that many cars, (like 10) I would think that they could just find parking themselves. 
  • Options
    themissizzthemissizz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're going to have less than 20 cars, you could do what Jen suggested and pay for their parking at the Soldiers and Sailors Garage.  If it's going to be close to 20 cars, I would fork over the cash.  It's so much more convenient to park on Bellefield.  Parking on the Pitt campus during the school year is not easy and comes at a price.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know I'll have to find out exactly how many cars will be driving to the ceremony and figure out if it is more cost effective to get the Bellefield Ave parking vs. something else. It would be different if they were parking there all day or even for several hours, but I'm already paying for a shuttle to take everyone between the hotel and reception so they don't have to drive.

Vacation

• Options
    cobrien1976cobrien1976 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Karen, have the Wyndham shuttle take your guest to/from HC.  It's free and you'll just have to make sure people make the shuttle list early in the morning.  Just another idea.  We are doing the parking at HC, but most of our guests will be parking at S&S since our reception is there and walking over or taking the hotel shuttle if they are staying at the hotel. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well I figure some people will take the hotel shuttle but it only holds 11 people, so that's a lot of trips. I wish it was bigger.

Vacation

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Me too!!  We thought about getting a shuttle or paying for parking, but we also figure that most people would take the shuttle (which they are) or walk (if it's a nice day).  We only got the HC parking mainly for our ederly guests, I really can't expect them to walk around Oakland and our limo bus.  Since our wedding day is also during homecoming weekend, it is going to be chaos to try and find parking! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I originally was thinking about just getting the shuttle that we are using for the reception for taking guests to HC too but it just got waaaay too expensive. So, I've been planning on buying the parking at HC. Which is probably still what I'll do, I guess I just wasn't expecting it to be so much (I mean, they are parking cars in the street for an hour, do they really need to charge so much?) Oh well. I would just tell everyone to walk but if I was dressed up with heels on, I doubt I would want to, so walking is optional :)

Vacation

• Options
    morainemommorainemom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm with Stacey - I did the happy dance when I found out the parking was only $100!The detective also told me that if there were more than 43 cars, they would find spots for them as well.  We also have a Trolley for the wedding party and a bus for the elderly people.  We live 1-2 hours from Pittsburgh and had to rent a bus because everyone was freaking out that the wedding is down there.  *Pam rolls eyes*  That includes parking for both of these vehicles as well.Cobrien - we thought Pitt's homecoming was the weekend of my daughter's wedding - and was very relieved to realize that it's been pushed back a weekend for the last couple of years. (Sorry about that!)Karen - what time is your wedding?  Is it 12:30?  We were really hoping for the 2:30, 4:30 or 12:30 time slot.  We had to have our daughter's wedding on the 16th at 2:00 pm because when we finally got through last year, the only time left on the 17th was at 10:30 am.  With the reception being at LeMont, we really wanted to see the city lighted up at night. (Well, there were lots of other reasons to move it up to Friday.)
  • Options
    kime31kime31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the pricing info!  That's very helpful!!  For those of you renting shuttles to and from the reception sites, would you mind sharing how much it was and how many people it will hold?  I too am probably going to be booking the wyndham in oakland but their shuttle does not run to the aquarium where my reception is.  So we will need to find transportation after the reception back to the hotel since we will have molly's trolleys for before the ceremony and in between ceremony and reception. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, I am at 12:30. I originally wanted the 2:30 time but it was gone when I got through and all the days I was interested in (Oct 3, 17, and 24) only had 10:30 or 12:30, so I went with it. Actually now I am kind of glad, I think it will work out well (I made it work, haha).

Vacation

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Pam!!  I am actually glad that homecoming is on my wedding weekend, it got me out of going to the Pitt's Engineering Alumni Association dinner (aka dork fest) with FI.  He drags me to that lame event every year.Actually, with the timing of our wedding (12:30) and our reception being at Soldiers & Sailors, it really shouldn't be a problem.  Most of our guests are aware that it is homecoming and a Steelers game the following day.  75% of our guests are from OOT so now our only major concern is finding places for these people to stay.  We blocked out a bunch of rooms at the Wyhdham which is now full to capacity.  So all other hotels near Oakland, downtown, Greentree, etc. are all booked up.  grr...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards