Connecticut
Options

Wedding Announcements?

So i was thinking of sending out announcements to those that we did not invite to our wedding (b/c we had to keep the guest list small).  They'd be going to extended family (like my great-aunts), not-so-close friends, and people like old professors and old colleagues, etc.does this just look like i am trying to get gifts from these people?  my mom thinks so...i was under the impression that sending out announcements was just that....telling people you're married.  not trying to be gift grabby.  if i got one in the mail, i'd send a card but certainly not a gift!  maybe i just don't get it though lol

Re: Wedding Announcements?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    ive honestly never gotten one before! you mean a wedding announcement like the way you send a baby announcement, and not just the little snippet in the paper? cause if thats the case, i dont think its gift grabby- ive never sent someone a present just cause they sent me a birth announcement
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never received one, either, so I can't really say. It's not really something I would have thought of doing but I don't think it necessarily looks gift-grabby. I think people who want to send you a gift will regardless of whether you send them an announcement or not anyway.
  • Options
    starrbuk13starrbuk13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yes, exactly like a baby announcement!!  like for that, you give a card, but not a gift, unless you'd send one anyway...why not the same rule for a marriage announcement?
  • Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it's not common for your area then it may look like you're fishing for a gift.The difference between that and one for a baby is that you're not inviting anyone to the birth (at least I assume it's a fairly private thing!).  Instead, what if you compromised with your mother and sent out combination Christmas cards to everyone with your new married name and maybe a photo?  It saves postage and gets the point across that you're now a married woman.
  • Options
    starrbuk13starrbuk13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i agree, it is totally different from a baby announcmenet in that regard lol.  it's the closest thing i could think to compare it to...the consensus over on P&E was that they will probably be taken as gift grabby.  (although apparently true etiquette - emily post, etc - says they are in no way to be taken as fishing for a gift?)  gifts definitely NOT being my intention, i think i'm going to skip them.i really like the christmas card idea!!  if i expand my list of people to send to this year that will actually work perfectly!  thanks banana!
  • Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    YW Starrbuk!!Just think of how long it takes to mail out TY notes or invitations.  Put the announcement all into one and then it's just a holiday greeting / update.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards