Wedding Reception Forum
Options

family style

Can somebody explain family style serving to me? It seems like a good idea, but would some centerpieces interfere?

Re: family style

• Options
    We did family style for our reception and it was wonderful.My venue has limitations on how large the centerpieces can be since otherwise they would be in the way.  You should ask yours if they can recommend anything, or perhaps you can see pictures from previous events.
  • Options
    Our reception will be served family style.  Basically, for every course (appetizers, salads, pastas, entrees, dessert) each table will get one big platter of two different options.  Dishes are passed and people serve themselves.  We like it because then people get to pick what they want and there's more variety.At our venue it's not a huge problem because it's really only two platters on each table at a time--the salads are cleared before the pastas go down, etc.  But, we're not having huge centerpieces either.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    I've been to two weddings that were served family style and it's kind of hit or miss. The centerpiece did not interfere but there were some other problems at one of the weddings. The first was wonderful. I got stuck at the date table because I went with one of my friends who was in the party but we had plenty of food since it was a table full of small girls. The other wedding was a problem because I was at a table with big eaters and the food ran out. The venue would not bring out additional platters (I guess they figured a good portion of the food would not be eaten and therefore go to waste). I doubt that all venues have this attitude, but if you do decide on family style make sure to ask - they may charge extra for additional platters or, if they simply refuse to bring out more food (as this place did) be careful to seat people where there will be enough food to go around. For this reason, I will be going with buffet style.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards