New York-New York City

NWR: Animal shelter recommendation?

My husband and I are looking to adopt a kitten!!! (Or, if I get my way, 2 kittens)Can anyone recommend a good animal shelter in Manhattan?  Thanks!   

Re: NWR: Animal shelter recommendation?

• edited December 2011
    My friend is incredibly involved (& close) with this one, plus she's adopted like ten cats from there, so I'd trust it! http://www.anjelliclecats.com/
  • lauren_mlauren_m member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely!  The ASPCA is on 92nd and York (go to aspca.org, and you can view the adoptable animals, although usually they only put the full-grown cats on the website; you have to go in person to see the kittens).  Also, you can go to the city pound (go to nycacc.org to see the animals that are available for adoption; they have locations in Brooklyn, Manhattan and Staten Island).   The ASPCA is a no-kill shelter, whereas the city pound has to put the animals to sleep if they're not adopted within a certain period of time.  I've adopted animals from both places and thought they were both great.  There is also bide-a-wee, which I believe is in midtown (although I'm not sure) and lots of other smaller shelters.  I've adopted cats, dogs, bunnies, etc. and used to volunteer at shelters, so if you need any more info, let me know.
  • xHannahBearxxHannahBearx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    north shore animal league does mobile adoptions at various petco locations. go to http://www.nsalamerica.org/ That is where my mom and I got our dog Teddy. I also got my most recent dog from Petfinder.com It has alot of smaller agencies listed as well as private adoptions. They do alot of specific subsearches as well, such as I wanted a Katrina Rescue specifically and they had a search just for that at the time.
  • MrsKocalMrsKocal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Animal Haven! They have a location in SoHo.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards