Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Rehearsal Dinner?

Our venue does not hold rehearsals for the ceremony. Should we still have a rehearsal dinner? My fiance and I would like to have the dinner but we are not the ones paying for it. The grooms mother is paying and seems less than excited to plan the dinner since there is not an actual ceremony rehearsal. We think we should have it but cannot afford to hold it ourselves.

Re: Rehearsal Dinner?

• Even if your venue does not hold rehearsals, you should still have a ceremony rehearsal elsewhere so everyone knows what they are doing the day of the wedding. It doesn't have to be formal or intricate, but everyone needs to know what is going on. We were unable to do the ceremony rehearsal on site for my sister's wedding and there were a lot of little things that weren't quite right that could have been avoided with a simple rehearsal. (The attendants didn't line up nicely, each couple didn't wait the same amount of time to walk, etc. Again, nothing huge by any means, but little quirks that get worked out in a rehearsal). Also, in my opinion, you should still have the dinner as it is not just for the WP but is for your out of town guests as well. Having said that, it doesn't have to be formal at all, especially if your actual rehearsal is not formal. It's up to you to set the tone for the night and it can be as simple as pizza or a back yard BBQ if you want to cut costs... for whomever ends up footing the bill.
  • This is just a side question..... do you invite your BP's significant other/spouse/fiance/partner to the rehersal dinner? I was unsure and FI didn't think so.
  • do you invite your BP's significant other/spouse/fiance/partner to the rehersal dinner? Yes. When you host an event, you always have to invite s/o's, unless it is something like a shower where it is single sex.
  • we have family from OOT coming in and they are all going to have to be invited. you cant just elave them in teh hotel when they came all this way. were looking at at least 50 ppl for our RD. and yes you have to invite sposes and finaces (you dont have to have bf/gf unless you know them well yourself)

My Randomly Updated Planning Bio
    EVERYTHING FOR SALE- JUST ASK!
    Anniversary
  • I personally think it is rude to not invite guests to the RD who have traveled a long way to see you. Obviously you don't HAVE to do anything, but that's my opinion. Our RD is going to be larger than we would like but because FMIL is paying for it we are not asking her to narrow it down. We are drawing the line at marriage - Husbands and wives will be invited to the RD, b/f g/f will not.
  • Etiquette doesn't require you to invite OOT guests to the RD. It is always nice to invite people, but since it isn't required by etiquette, it isn't rude not to. Etiquette does require you to invite b/f's and g/f's as well as spouses. Therefore, it would be rude not to.
  • Thanks for the info ladies! I will certainly invite my BP SO. I don't think I will be inviting my OOT guests though. It would be around 60 people and I don't want my F M/FIL to have to pay for my extended family's meal. We will all meet them back at the hotel afterwards anyway. Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards