New Jersey

Rec Dog Trainer (long)

I live on the border of Monmouth and Middlesex County, so anyone in that area. Some back story in case anyone has some good advice...I have 20 lb lhasapoo, Ben who is turning 3 in a few weeks. He has been the best dog ever. He loves people and toys and other dogs. So much so we got him a brother, like we needed a whole in the head. Max is a 10 lb morkie and just turned 2. They get along well, its been almost 2 years they lived together. They wrestle a lot but nothing concerning. But lately over the last months I am seeing a change in Bens personality. He is just getting a little snippy with other dogs. Sometimes he is fine and sometimes growls and snaps. There is no rhyme or reason to his nasty little spurts. But it seems he is becoming food and toy aggressive. If he is growing out of being around other dogs, I can handle that. But I'm concerned his personality will continue to change and I will have a nasty dog and children. And that really worries me. Also I work from home so they are extremely spoiled with attention and Ben gets mad when I leave. Like biting the bottom of my skirt to keep me from walking out the door. Could it be a phase? Any advice? Trainer recs? I do yell at him but its a new behavior and a random behavior so I'm not sure how to handle it. Thanks so much!

Re: Rec Dog Trainer (long)

• edited December 2011
    FI sent our dog to Rick Robbins training school. We actually met while the dog was there. I hear it's controversial about the methods they (meaning them and similar obedience schools) use, but our dog is a breeze now. She used to be fiesty before I knew her and now she listens to everything we say. We don't even leash her in our neighborhood. Granted we are the only house on the block, but she doesn't run off even when she sees squirrels or deer. She also is very good when company comes. I know she had some issues with destroying things before she was trained, but we have no issues now...even when we moved and separated her from her sister dog.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Every night I prayed for you. Then when you were in my belly, I prayed harder. Now that you're in my arms, I pray even harder.
  • alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i recommend looking into a local bark busters.  they are trained in behavior, not just obedience.  their trainers more often than not are animal psychologists and use natural pack-mentality methods to help dogs vs. control and discipline (think victoria stillwell vs. ceasar millan).  each are locally franchaised, so you need to shop around, but all are owned by trainers that must go through a strict system i believe.  i was looking into this a while back and remembered being impressed with what i read about, so much that i told my kid sister about it who has a background in animal behavior and could run one of these (if she had a few ten thousand to start up.. ha!)
  • alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    (ps yelling does nothing :)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks girls. I will look into them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards