Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Ceremony-Reception Time

I have always had my heart set on getting married in a Catholic Church by the priest who married my parents.  I am currently running into a huge problem.  The church and priest only do Saturday weddings at 2 pm.  I was planning on having cocktail hour at 5 pm at the earliest and the reception to start at 6pm.  Which leaves a ridiculous amount of time between the ceremony and reception. 

I have no clue how to work around this.  I have toyed with the idea of of having the ceremony after Saturday mass which wouldn't be until about 7 pm, but then people wouldn't be having dinner until 8pm at the earliest.  I'm assuming others must have encountered this problem...any suggestions or ways around this are greatly appreciated.

Re: Ceremony-Reception Time

• Move the reception up. 

If your ceremony is a full mass, that will likely then be from 2:00-3:00 pm.  Allowing time for receiving line and travel to reception, your cocktail hour should start no later than 4:00, and dinner/reception begins at 5:00 pm.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I think you'd be fine to do the later ceremony, and then do heavy apps/light dinner/dessert following.  I know that if I were attending a wedding starting that late, I'd eat something first even if there was going to be a regular dinner afterward.  If you're not serving a full dinner, be sure to indicate as such on your invitation, and you're in the clear.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • In my experience this is the norm for a Catholic wedding. My ceremony is at 2 and the reception starts at 6, you also have to factor in the recieving line, pictures in the church, and location pictures if you are going anywhere else, and travel time. But like I said this is just my personal experience with weddings, they always had a 2-3 hr gap.
  • Move the reception time up, like trix said.

• Having just come from a wedding that had a 7 pm ceremony, please do not do this to your guests.  Despite knowing it was a later time, there was no time to eat anything before and everyone was cranky and hungry.  Dinner wasn't served until after 9 and we were so full from eating so fast no one danced or enjoyed the cake.

I think having the ceremony at 2 pm is fine.  Your ceremony will be longer if you have a full mass.  Depending on travel time to your reception, you wouldn't be leaving people hanging for too long, especially with a cocktail hour.
    I married my best friend on July 8, 2011
  • Why not do the Nuptial Mass at 2 and then cocktail hour starting at 3:30 or 4:00?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ceremony-reception-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:1b5ca500-cad2-4fff-9462-75107b664cc5Post:d942ddac-398a-445a-aaa3-0c8580822373">Re: Ceremony-Reception Time</a>:
    [QUOTE]In my experience this is the norm for a Catholic wedding. My ceremony is at 2 and the reception starts at 6, you also have to factor in the recieving line, <strong>pictures in the church, and location pictures if you are going anywhere else</strong>, and travel time. But like I said this is just my personal experience with weddings, they always had a 2-3 hr gap.
    Posted by mgietler76[/QUOTE]

That actually shouldn't be factored in. You should be taking photos while your guests are at the cocktail hour unless you take the photos before the ceremony. It is rude to delay your reception so you can take photos.

OP - What you are describing 2pm ceremony and 5pm cocktail hour is the norm in many circles. That doesn't necessarily make it right of course. Could a family member host a bit of a gathering from 3:30-4:30 or so? Maybe at someone's home or a hotel?
    imageimageimage
  • I was in a wedding last summer that was a 1pm Catholic service and 5pm cocktail hour...quite frankly I think it's rude to the guests to have such a big gap. 

Move up your cocktail hour and reception.
  • I'm also having a Catholic ceremony with the full mass starting at 3pm. The mass will most likely run an hour long ending at 4pm. Our cocktail hour is starting at 6pm. So I'm in the same time frame you're looking at with 2 hours between the ceremony and cocktail hour. I don't know if you're guests will mind the 2 hour gap but that's always been the norm for our family weddings. We usually go to McDonald's after the ceremony to get a quick snack to hold us over till dinner.

Maya
    (ISSR Shiloh Shepherd)
    wedding websites
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards