Michigan-Detroit
Options

Bridal Shower - Timing in relation to Wedding - Opinions please;)

Hi ladies, I posed this on the main message boards, but I would love some local input. I'm stressing about this one :/  Thanks in advance for your opinions!

My Mom and FMIL are throwing me a shower. The problem is that my parents will be traveling to Florida (from Michigan) during the months of February, March and part of April (they are snowbirds). My wedding is May 19, 2012. Our choice for the shower date are either Late January or late-April. January is 3.5-4 months before the wedding and April is only 3-4 weeks before the wedding. My Mom and I think January is fine, a bit early, but still OK. FMIL is worried about a snow storm in January (a slim to none chance), but is still OK with January. I would prefer to have it in January because it allows my mother and I plenty of time after the shower to focus on the wedding. Also, I need to fit in my Bachelorette party sometime in April (after my Mom gets home). So, the question becomes, is 4 months before the wedding too early to throw a shower?

Re: Bridal Shower - Timing in relation to Wedding - Opinions please;)

• Options
    Meegles4Meegles4 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I voted yes, but if January were your only option, I'd say it was fine. Since you also have an April option, I'd go for that. 3-4 weeks isn't too soon at all, in fact many people host showers at about 4 weeks out.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's too early.  Your guests will understand that the timing is due to your mom living out of the state.  I was a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding a couple years ago. The wedding was Memorial Day weekend and she had a bridal shower in January. So you're not alone!  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's too early, but I don't think April is too late either.  I'd leave it up to your personal preference and whatever is easiest for your family.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think April is more ideal from  timing stand point.  However, I do not see anything wrong with January so do whichever is more convenient for your family.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I don't think January is too early. April might be pushing it, because you're going to be really busy by then.

Due to family schedules/calendars, my my shower for FILs side was 6 months before the wedding.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Have it whenever works best with your family's and your schedule. 

You would think that with 365 days in year that it'd be a piece of cake finding a date for a bridal shower and bachelorette party.  But no.  In fact, sometimes it's near impossible. 

So...do what works best and don't even let your wedding date be a factor.  My wedding was this past Saturday, my bridal shower was mid-April, and my bachelorette party was end of May.  Everything was just fine.  Good luck!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_bridal-shower-timing-relation-wedding-opinions-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:82f2fe2f-a7ca-4be2-b652-4ef3987bd983Post:c1359e9c-cec4-4d9e-970f-fbfcf4351df2">Re: Bridal Shower - Timing in relation to Wedding - Opinions please;)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it's too early, but I don't think April is too late either.  I'd leave it up to your personal preference and whatever is easiest for your family.
    Posted by sammichele[/QUOTE]

Agreeeeeed
  • Options
    MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_bridal-shower-timing-relation-wedding-opinions-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:82f2fe2f-a7ca-4be2-b652-4ef3987bd983Post:c1359e9c-cec4-4d9e-970f-fbfcf4351df2">Re: Bridal Shower - Timing in relation to Wedding - Opinions please;)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it's too early, but I don't think April is too late either.  I'd leave it up to your personal preference and whatever is easiest for your family.
    Posted by sammichele[/QUOTE]

agreed
  • Options
    klreese0213klreese0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_bridal-shower-timing-relation-wedding-opinions-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:82f2fe2f-a7ca-4be2-b652-4ef3987bd983Post:bb853a67-8f75-488e-a0c1-6c28ad8b5964">Re: Bridal Shower - Timing in relation to Wedding - Opinions please;)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think April is more ideal from  timing stand point.  However, I do not see anything wrong with January so do whichever is more convenient for your family.
    Posted by Allycat11[/QUOTE]

this.

but to go with something you said, with a snow storm being "unlikely" in janurary.... are you sure you live in Michigan?? a snow storm is NEVER unlikely in janurary and feburary in michigan. just an FYI.

I personally think an April shower is a better choice.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Let me re-phrase... Sure a snowstorm can happen, but a snowstorm which will close all roads forcing me to cancel the shower is unlikely. The condescending comment is unappreciated. 

Thank you everyone else for your comments ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    January does have its setbacks.  I was carrying my gift (corningware) to the house where the bridal shower took place and slipped on ice. Both I and the gift hit the pavement. Luckily all of the corningware was in tact. And if it hadn't been, I included a gift receipt. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards