Just Engaged and Proposals

Do you really care about the clarity of your diamond?

My ring is the most beautiful ring and I love it to death. However, for some reason I am bothered by the clarity rating. 

The colour, cut and carat are all very high but the clarity is not so much. I have googled the heck out of what this means and all that but still can't seem to get over it. 

I know things like the cut and colour definitely affect the brilliance of a stone but has anyone had more experience with the clarity? I feel like sometimes the light can hit it in just a way that makes the visible imperfection blatant...maybe I am just obsessing though (thoughts?)

Help me not care?!?!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Do you really care about the clarity of your diamond?

• My ring is gorgeous but also low on clarity but I don't care. I almost like the one imperfection I see because when I bring it in to get sized or cleaned or anytime it isn't in my sight when it comes back I can know without a doubt it is mine. Plus he bought it for me so I love it. You'll get used to it..... It bugged me for about a week but now I love the imperfection... It's like a birthmark :)
  • tiny specktiny speck member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2012
    If you personally cannot see anything wrong with it (you say you love it), then I'm not sure what the issue is. It's just a rating, and nobody is going to look at your ring and ask "OMG what clarity rating is that?"

Personally, I do not know (and nor do I care) the ratings of my diamond. As it is over 100 years old, it probably wouldn't have as high a rating for clarity, etc as a modern diamond, but nothing about that bothers me; it is incredibly sparkly and firey (lots of colors reflected along with white light).

If you're really bothered by it, go into a jeweller's and ask about it. I'm sure they'll be able to explain what all the ratings mean.
  • I don't know the clarity of my diamond, but there are a few spots where I can see imperfections.  Do I care?  No.  My FI picked out my ring for me and I love it.  It's perfect just the way it is.  It still shines and sparkles a ton.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • I cant say anything because I spent a alot of money on my fiancee's ring...

But to try and help you...I think we walk into a store sometimes and people think it is fake, a manmade diamond or glass or something.

I understand how you might feel, if it is a little on the yellow side under the right light...but is it a small stone? Maybe on an anniversary one year, he can upgrade it for you. But like others said, he picked it out and got it for you and its a ring, the symbol behind it is whats there...
  • It's weird to be bothered by the clarity *rating,* but it is not weird to be bothered by the *clarity* if it is poor.  If you can see imperfections and you don't like it, I think that's reasonable.  But if you're driving yourself mad over SI1 vs. SI2 (the score on the paper, and not the stone itself) then my advice to you is to get a grip lol.
  • My ring is very pretty, but the clarity is  low and I do NOT care one bit... Its what he could afford and in my opinion its prettier than most rings I see on ppl who Im sure have a higher clarity.. Just like some girls said above its like a birth mark and I like that to! Wouldnt change my ring for anything! Youll get use to it
  • Nope. I know nothing about diamonds and never had any before I got my engagement ring. I didn't know the metal (platinum) or diamond size (1 carat with small side diamonds) of the ring he proposed with- and neither did he, since it was an heirloom handed down from his grandparents. None of those things mattered to me, although I'm sure it matters to other people and had my FI had to buy one, it may have mattered to him. What was important to me was that he proposed to me and he could have proposed with anything- or nothing at all. In all honesty, I was totally stunned that he even had a ring as we don't have a lot of money and the ring he gave me is really stunning. Grandpa had really good taste, as people who know jewelry have told me, lol.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • The rating doesn't phase me at all. I DO care about how my stones LOOK. H and I went E-ring shopping together and though he picked out the ring style, I sat and stared down the diamonds until I was satisfied with how they looked. With my wedding band: the quality rating is on the lower end, but to the naked eye, the diamonds look amazingly clear. Again, I sat and stared at each stone, and even had some of them changed, until I was satisfied with their appearance. H recently bought me a pair of diamond earrings and I insisted I go with him to pick them out and make sure they LOOKED good to me (again, he chose the style, I approved the diamonds). One day soon I'll trust him to pick them on his own (he's getting better at spotting imperfections).

Nobody will ever know the rating if you don't tell them, so that's nothing to worry about. Now, if you're seeing imperfections in the stone and it bothers you that much, talk to your man. Maybe he'll be willing to exchange the diamond one day. Each imperfection is part of what makes each stone unique though. And cleaning the jewelry often helps to hide the imperfections. GL!
  • I'm not bothered by the calrity of my stones. Granted, mine have a pretty decent clarity. I guess I'd care if there was some glaring imperfection. I went to look at rings the other day and the sales lady was pushing some ring at me and the diamond had a huge black imperfection smack dab in the middle of it, totally obvious and easy to see. That I would mind. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • All that matters to me is that it sparkles.  If it was a super cloudy stone or had major imperfections (visible to the naked eye) I would probably be disappointed.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_do-you-really-care-about-the-clarity-of-your-diamond?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:6c3c0a5b-3971-4dd9-854f-a2685e05fad1Post:e8325b42-b821-4324-a91b-b5fa5422af6a">Re: Do you really care about the clarity of your diamond?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The rating doesn't phase me at all. I DO care about how my stones LOOK. H and I went E-ring shopping together and though he picked out the ring style, I sat and stared down the diamonds until I was satisfied with how they looked. With my wedding band: the quality rating is on the lower end, but to the naked eye, the diamonds look amazingly clear. Again, I sat and stared at each stone, and even had some of them changed, until I was satisfied with their appearance. H recently bought me a pair of diamond earrings and I insisted I go with him to pick them out and make sure they LOOKED good to me (again, he chose the style, I approved the diamonds). One day soon I'll trust him to pick them on his own (he's getting better at spotting imperfections). Nobody will ever know the rating if you don't tell them, so that's nothing to worry about. Now, if you're seeing imperfections in the stone and it bothers you that much, talk to your man. Maybe he'll be willing to exchange the diamond one day. Each imperfection is part of what makes each stone unique though. And cleaning the jewelry often helps to hide the imperfections. GL!
    Posted by gsg717[/QUOTE]

Well aren't you the controlling one.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_do-you-really-care-about-the-clarity-of-your-diamond?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:6c3c0a5b-3971-4dd9-854f-a2685e05fad1Post:23551f7d-9137-4f72-9b65-361a1d18d74b">Re: Do you really care about the clarity of your diamond?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you really care about the clarity of your diamond? : Well aren't you the controlling one.
    Posted by gurrlballa10[/QUOTE]
    Lol, a bit. About to the same extent that my H will be when picking out the X-box that I'll be getting him for Christmas. They do come in different types, and to make sure he has the one that will suit his gaming needs, its better if he picks it out. Works for us :) 
  • I think, if you have to give on one of the three, clarity is the one, unless its hugely visible to the naked eye.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards