Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Altering a corset-back?

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with altering a corset-back dress?  I know that generally that style is supposed to minimize alterations because achieving a custom-fit is easier with the lacing.  However, my question comes in because I tried on a sample [apparently I was the first to try it on, so it didn't have a chance to stretch yet!], and it fit really well, but was maybe a tiny bit loose on the upper part of the bodice.  The consultant told me it was slightly snug on my hips so she suggested ordering the size up and having it altered down, but my concern is that since I'm actively trying to lose weight, the next size up might be too large and will give me too small of a laced-up corset.So I was wondering if it's really very difficult to actually take in that kind of bodice, so that the lacing doesn't get too skinny?  The dress is Maggie Sottero Lavina Royale, and its bodice has boning and whatnot throughout.  I'm going to order the dress tomorrow, and I'll definitely ask the alterations department there if they have any insight, but I know that being told something can vary from what actually happens.  Any advice/insight would be great!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Closed on our house 4-15-11!

Re: Altering a corset-back?

• Options
    Oh, that's a relief!  Thanks so much for your response :]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Closed on our house 4-15-11!
  • Options
    Nearly all wedding gowns are heavily boned- alterations are no different than with any other style of gown.
  • Options
    Maggie bride too - 2 questions:  just ordered Michele today (yikes) and the bust was simply dazzling against skin, face, hair (you get the picture).  Then I get home and learn that the dress also comes in swarovski crystal beading on the bust (and scattered about the satin dress) instead of the glass beading on mine, for several hundred more $$.  I wasn't AT ALL unhappy about the bling I saw on the one I ordered, but.... ? ladies?Second Q:  I hate these high fake-like boned bustlines (at a 34-D, I don't need that), so I'm pretty sure I'll need the bust part of the gown (yes, the beaded part) shortened, or narrowed.  Can this be done? If not by cutting the top across, then by cutting it off from the torso part, shortening it and sewing it back on?? (clearly, my seamstress skills are lacking here).  If the bust part of the dress is too high or sticks out of my already ample chest, I will get married in bra and spanx! Whaddya say?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards